Share This Page:

Eight Lives Down by Chris Hunter

Recommended Books you have read or great films you have watched.
got1

Eight Lives Down by Chris Hunter

Post by got1 »

Good read, don't fancy their job.
Respect.
just_me

Post by just_me »

I saw this in Amazon's 'other people with similar searches bought' section but didn't pay a lot of attention to it. Just finished 3 Para and Sniper One (both finished in only a few sittings!). Is this book similar to the other two I just mentioned?
And how long is it?
Cheers.
got1

Post by got1 »

It's 369 pages, it is about an ATO's experience on a Iraq tour.
I got it from the library.
jm745

Post by jm745 »

ATO?

My library is crap, went down there for 1984 and Atlas Shrugged (trying to make myself a bit more intellectual), and they didn't have 'em, as in they weren't even taken out, they just didn't have 'em. If you want the complete works of Joanna Trollope it's brilliant, otherwise it's crap.
London Boy

Post by London Boy »

Mate, do yourself a BIG favour and give Atlas Shrugged a wide berth. This is just my opinion, but it's simply a huge HUGE piece of philosophical horse manure dressed up as a novel. Give Ayn Rand and her sect/cult a miss is my advice!

Read these instead if you want intellectual literature of that ilk: 1984, Brave New World, Animal Farm, Utopia, Ghormenghast, Slaughterhouse 5. - that's for starters & they're all favourites of mine
SO19

Post by SO19 »

Got it from the library also. EOD is not for the faint hearted.
[i]‘We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat’ - Queen Victoria, 1899[/i]
jm745

Post by jm745 »

I think I'll take your word for it London Boy. I've heard mixed reviews about it but your's seems to be to the point.

Yeh I've heard of a couple of them, might go Birmingham library and get them from there unless I can find them on the cheap somewhere near me.

So what's this eight lives down like then?

Joe
got1

Post by got1 »

jm745,

ATO: Ammunition Technical Officer, he defuses roadside bombs etc.and is in the RLC not as some people think RE's.
jm745

Post by jm745 »

Like you said, I wouldn't fancy their job.

Didn't know there were roles that were like that in the RLC, yeh uneducated minds like mine would think it was down to the Engineers.

Joe
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

My uncle was in the bomb disposal when he was in the Army, I only found that out recently when I was speaking to him at a funeral, so I might check that book out and see what it's like.