Share This Page:

yank looking for british military help

Require help and assistance, please ask?
james392

yank looking for british military help

Post by james392 »

Hey guys,

James here. I was born in Finchley but have lived in America since I was six. I'm interested in joining the military and have met with some American recruiters, however, I feel more willing to fight for Britain than America. Just curiousity, how does Britain take care of it's soldiers, I'm primarily looking at Marines or Royal Navy...

In America, soldiers get free college, free food, a steady paycheck, and free residency. Does the British military offer any of these luxuries?

One final question, I'm intersted in becoming a policeman in the Met after, would having military experience aid me in that goal?

Thanks,
James
tom163

Post by tom163 »

Hi James, welcome to the site.

According to my joining book, you pay for: Rent of your barracks (£52 a month), £120 on food and drink and £2.79 council tax (rough figures). These all will come out of your paycheck without you having to worry about it. Free: Healthcare, Duty Travel, Pension & Utility usage.

Your Paycheck will start at around £16,000 (Light Infantry) a year and can only go higher as you climb the ranks. If you think about it you will be putting alot in the savings since everything above is sorted.

To my knowlegde if you join the Army as an Officer then they could pay for all your University course fee's etc which could be around £3/4k a year! But if you are just wanting to join as a regular then throughout your carrer you will get numerous qualifications like Public Services, Mechanic, I.T and more depending on which regiment you want to join and yes you should be in good steed to join the police force when you leave the army :).

Tom
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Where in the US?
You will get better kit,better housing(Unless your married)And a better salary.Free college through the GI bill and better support via the VA if you don't keep your head down.
Met.police?
This has to be a bite.

When you say"Residency"What exactly do you mean?
Mike90

Post by Mike90 »

Cheers Wholley, rub it in.....
There is a good chance I would join the American forces if I could, and ironically the police is something I would be interested in doing after, also in America!
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Mike.
I'm not just rubbing it in.
From your point of view,go to British military,Canadian military,Canadian police(Almost the same training,BLET's etc)Then the US,although times have changed a little after 9/11,you may be alright for somewhere like North Dakota where they all sound like Canuck's anyway :D