Share This Page:

Recently Diagnosed

Discussions and general chat about PTSD. Feel free to introduce yourself or if you need help, please reach out and ask.
dootybooty

Recently Diagnosed

Post by dootybooty »

Hi you guys, I'm an ex Bootneck, Aden, Ulster etc, I've just been diagnosed by my GP as having PTSD. Now, I know I've been rough, but reading through this superb site I get the feeling that I am not exhibiting the symptoms that most people do. I don't drink or do dope, I got the aggresion out of my system years ago, and although considered by others a bit of a loner I do enjoy other peoples company.
I first felt bad at the time of the first gulf war and fought my way out of depression, I was given Reiki and it cleared all the past crap. I was so impressed with Reiki that I became a practitioner myself. Now ten years on, another gulf war and it all came back again.
I treated myself with Reiki, which seemed to work, but then I foolishly went to my GP for a gut infection, another gift from my service time out east. The Doc ended up putting me on anti depressants, which I did not like but took. They seemed to do the trick and I weaned myself off them. Apart from classic insomnia I seem OK to myself. My home life is good, my social life is ok, I enjoy 90% of my work, I can communicate well, I can control my emotions. Does it seem to you that I qualify as a sufferer?Or is it possible that the Doc was jumping on the latest bandwagon? I have identified the incident that caused me the initial trouble and come to terms with it,(it was when I was casevaced). So, what do you guys who realy know the score think? And no, I am not in denial, I accept that I did have a wobbly patch. Your comments would be much appreciated.
Keep the faith.
El Prez

Post by El Prez »

DB, please have a scan through this forum and 'Chat to a Listener'. It will give you an idea of what we are about, and where we can help. We operate either on the forum, openly with various listeners contributing, or if preferred by PM. The choice is yours, we are here to help. Over.
You should talk to somebody who gives a f**k.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Robiz/movie_star_wars_yoda.gif[/img]
El Presidente
ratso

Post by ratso »

DB I have for the last two ytears been struck down with PTSD though I have suffered for twenty.
I have also listened to hundreds of others now and read as much as possible on PTSD. It encompasses so much this condition and I have to say that more than 80% of people who have entered a war zone and been subjected to loss, come under fire, seen bloodshed and all the other crap will at some time suffer.
Last week I was discussing with the Trick Cyclist RM training, he immediatly pointed out that what we endure during that period is so stressful it could be resultant for some in developing PTSD, lets face it you are taught that drink is a graet defence.

So in principal yes you are still suffering as it is not a cut that gets better it is for life as I have been repeatedly told since starting treatment, all you can do is learn to cope.

Make sure you get it on your War Pension.
Falklands Veterans Foundation
www.fvf.org.uk www.yomp30.co.uk
Save the Fearless www.hmsfearless.co.uk
Give Her A Home So We Can All Remember
Doc

Post by Doc »

Dootybooty just wanted to say good luck, keep us upto date mate, I aint a head doc, ex MA but I have PTSD, treated last year and escaped to German Alps, it gets better if you allow it to and dont put up the "aint nowt wrong with me" routine.
Top tip - TALK, and we that can listen, WILL.
dootybooty

Post by dootybooty »

Cheers Doc, I think I'm copping ok now, still have a bad nights sleep about once a week, i.e. dont sleep, but apart from that I,m doing ok. I took up waterclouring to take my mind of the night horrors and it works. Iget lost in it and it clears my mind.
I also get to talk to a couple of other ex booties and your right it does help. Thanks for your interest.
Keep the faith.
Doc

Post by Doc »

I know what the "cant sleep" nights are like, I still get them, usually from worrying over nothing or a bad dream though they are getting rarer.
I also suffer from a snoring Mrs! Feels like Im on Fearless again with a SeaKing landing :lol:
Good to see you are improving and you are abit of a Rembrant! First digs on an original for my future pension requirements.
Have a look around the forums mate and have a laugh, and maybe even a cry it all helps.
Keep in touch

Doc :D
dootybooty

Post by dootybooty »

Fearless, or frightfull as we used to call her, got Casavaked on to her out in South China sea. I'd been yaffled by 28 hornets on an exercise, plus heat exhaustion, flew me of in a Souix, couldn't strap me into the stretcher on the outside cos I was swelling up so much, they put me next to the pilot. Scared the shit out of me flying at wave top hieght at 90,000 mph in a glass bubble. I remember standing in a shower with the sick bay tiffy pulling the stings out of me with tweezers. Walked around the Naafi flat for two days cos sick bay was full, no spare bunks anywhere, and I couldn't lie down anyway because of the swelling. Happy days?
Keep the faith.

Post by Guest »

DB, there is always light at the end of the tunnel, it may not be so bright on some days, it might not be on at all on others, but the light will always be there, its up to you to keep going and make sure that light shines bright for you.

Post by Guest »

ratso wrote:DB I have for the last two ytears been struck down with PTSD though I have suffered for twenty.
I have also listened to hundreds of others now and read as much as possible on PTSD. It encompasses so much this condition and I have to say that more than 80% of people who have entered a war zone and been subjected to loss, come under fire, seen bloodshed and all the other crap will at some time suffer.
Last week I was discussing with the Trick Cyclist RM training, he immediatly pointed out that what we endure during that period is so stressful it could be resultant for some in developing PTSD, lets face it you are taught that drink is a graet defence.
So in principal yes you are still suffering as it is not a cut that gets better it is for life as I have been repeatedly told since starting treatment, all you can do is learn to cope.
... I read this...and had to think, wow. I got back in January of 1970 from 2yearsplus in Vietnam as an Army Helo pilot... I have been fighting PTSD ever since... sometimes it gets better, and then sometimes it isn't so good. The depression, anger, nightmares... about two years ago, I was 'struck down anew'...Bad/Big Time...ol' Pandora's Box where I had all that stuff safely packed away blew open and all hell popped out...I figure you understand DB, even though we're from two different worlds... keep the faith, keep truckin, ...oh, and "Thanks and Welcome Home". Thinkin bout y'all, stay well.Nick.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Herky, I an only accentuate what Cliodna says.. TALKING does work, if you haven't already checked this forum out , have a look at all the post here.... It'll, if nothing else will give you some hope and perspective.
Take care Friend
Aye
Mike
The Honourable Lord Mike of Loch Borralan
.........................Because I AM Worth IT..xxxx.......Never Mistake Motion for Action
DaveBarker

PTSD and the Persian Gulf War

Post by DaveBarker »

I have some good information on the Persian Gulf War and PTSD issues affecting my clients in Ohio, USA.
http://www.geocities.com/dave_barker_amvet/index.html
I will cast no stones!
mike-d-1960

Hi Dave

Post by mike-d-1960 »

Post Withdrawn
Last edited by mike-d-1960 on Fri 31 Mar, 2006 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

That`s nice 8)
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
mike-d-1960

Post by mike-d-1960 »

Post Withdrawn
Last edited by mike-d-1960 on Fri 31 Mar, 2006 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Artist

Post by Artist »

Why the decison to come on here and tell us all how good you are at helping people with PTSD then mike-d-1960?

If I want to speak to somebody about my problems I tend to talk to my own kind i.e. Bootnecks.

I'm damn sure I wont be asking for your advice sunbeam. I've been there, got the T shirt and get bloody annoyed with Dudley Do Rights like you and your winger.

Artist