Share This Page:

Good To Talk

Discussions and general chat about PTSD. Feel free to introduce yourself or if you need help, please reach out and ask.
harry hackedoff

Good To Talk

Post by harry hackedoff »

Members,
A few weeks ago there was a post on the PTSD thread (when it was still a thread) from Greyman. By several of us posting sympathetic encouragement and pm's a gradual change occurred in his post, from extreme depression to gentle optimism. He and his wife made an appointment to see his gp who immediately diagnosed PTSD. He is now waiting to see Combat Stress and the process has started for him as he has made his "first step".

While the postings were going on and the change in Greyman was starting to be noticeable, I had an idea.

If this guy lived close enough to me, then I would be willing to meet him. Then I thought of other members who would also be willing to meet and the idea evolved to include something along the lines of "when Harry met Sally" on Misc Diss.

I began to talk to Shoulder Holster, Mutley and Yorkie who all thought it would be a good thing, if it could be made to work. However the question remained, would untrained people do more harm than good? I didn't think so, but to be certain I turned to Combat Stress for advice and assistance.

Step forward Mr. Tony Ledford, Clinical Manager, Combat Stress once again.

He listened to my case, the arguments for and against, moral and legal issues etc. Right from the start of the conversation he was very much in favour, and time and time again he emphasised that talking to someone is the first step.

My next call was to the site admin to tell them my plan and to discuss ways of making this work.

Spoke to Jay a couple of times and he has sorted out a "user group". This will work on 3 levels.

Level 1. A general level for all to see and post on.
Level 2. A level for requests to talk and for potential "listeners" to ask to join the user group. When authorised, they will have the word "LISTENER" below their name on everything they post on all boards.
Why it's necessary to have this "vetting" when you can post anywhere you want to, I will get to later.
Level 3. A discussion area for "Listeners" only. For mutual support and advice.

This will not replace the main PTSD thread but provides the opportunity for sufferers to have a face-to-face meeting or a telephone conversation. The reasons for "listeners" to be authorised are firstly so that any one considering making contact knows that they aren’t going to end up talking to Deaf Ant. Voyeurs and dick heads need to be filtered out.

If you ask me what is a "listener" it is easier to say what we aren't. We are not the Samaritans in a Green Lid, not Social Workers and most definitely not Counsellors. We are men who's experience, ages and backgrounds all have one common denominator:-
The Green Beret.

How my idea will develop, we can't say, but the PTSD thread itself has over 11 pages and 3000+ visits to date. So there is a huge interest in the subject. Yorkie went to 45's twentieth Falklands reunion and had guy's coming up to him all weekend asking about treatment. What I am hoping to achieve is an opportunity for discreet meetings if someone doesn't feel able to post. Particularly if still serving.

If you feel that you would be prepared to meet guys suffering with PTSD, to give them a friendly "ear" so they can talk, then contact the user group.

If you are a victim and have seen the responses on the main thread and would like a chance to talk to another bootneck then contact the user group.

I would like to thank Tony Letford for his advice and encouragement.;
Jay for listening and setting up the user group.
Mutley and Yorkie for listening to my ideas .
Most of all Shoulder Holster who has been my "sounding board" for the last couple of weeks. Thanks, mate.
All of the above have chipped in with their ideas and support.

It is over to you now guys. Whether you think it is a good idea or not, your views please.

as ever, I remain

yours, Aye

Harry Hackedoff
Last edited by harry hackedoff on Mon 03 Mar, 2003 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yorkie Malone

Post by Yorkie Malone »

I BACK EVERY THING THAT HAS BEEN SAID ABOVE.

YES I'M SHOUTING IT FROM THE HIGHEST HILL.

The item was posted yesterday 22nd June. Well on this day in 1965, a Tuesday as I remember, I joined this Royal Corps.
But on 22nd June 1992 I was sat in the Nutters Ward at RNH Haslar telling my "story".

Funny how dates come back ... intit???

I'm still proud of it etc etc.

and IF ever anyone .... don't care who ... wants to talk ... or email me then I am here ... to hear....

SyY
SYB

Post by SYB »

If I can help in anyway please let me know..

If your not sure or just want a chat about my case/treatment etc etc contact me.

Regards Simon
Mike

Good To Talk

Post by Mike »

Gentlemen,
My telephone number is at the other end of an Email......RING ME.......IT'S GOOD TO TALK.....

Aye
The Honourable Lord Mike of Loch Borralan
.........................Because I AM Worth IT..xxxx.......Never Mistake Motion for Action
Mutley

Listening

Post by Mutley »

EAR, EAR

in hoc vinces
harry hackedoff

Please watch this space over the next few days, it takes time to set up.
Don`t forget, Jay has a day job as well

Aye, Harry
Shoulderholster

Post by Shoulderholster »

Harry I concur with everything you are saying and trying to do,with the help of others we/all of us , should be able to get this working.
Anyone who feels they need to talk to someone please use this forum.Sometimes it feels better to talk to someone outside of your family or circle of friends,no one will be judged,or labelled a tosser.
One of the first things hammered into us during training is the "Buddy Buddy" system,why should we discontinue this just because we have gone outside. I'm here if anyone wants to send me a PM to start things moving.
LETS LOOK AFTER EACH OTHER FOLKS ,if we can't do this we may as well
chalk f**k on it,and stop calling ourselves Royal Marines.
SH
A big thank you to Harry for taking the time and effort to start this off.
frankenstein

Post by frankenstein »

Glad to hear that Greyman (Colours) is on the right path to getting himself sorted out.
I totally think that this sort of forum is what is needed, I was disapointed when I looked at the thread PTSD and saw that the posting from Greyman was not there, glad to see that it reappears here. Itmay seem morbid though by readin postings like that it I realise that I am not alone, others are the same, so can kind of class myself with some kind of normality, especially when the going gets tough.
By being able to try and help some one else who is experiencing the kind of problems that I went through is great, as by not in a way speaking to them it makes me see things in a different way, it is uplifting if that does not sound tosh, to hear that by taking the trouble to hit a few keys it can literrally save some one.
Well done and congratulations Harry H ,on commencing what to some may be a life-saver.
Great to see that at least some one still thinks of us.

cheers
Frankenstein.
owdun

Post by owdun »

Hackedoff is a Scouse get and one of those rare human being's who really
care.Nuff said.
Owdun :wink:
harry hackedoff

Franks, you`re next. Tony to you, tonight.
The thing about feeling isolated is down to not talking. the less you talk, the more isolated you become untill you end up feeling absolutely and totally on your own. In your own world of bleak silence. Like a wounded animal. Which, in a way is what you are.
But, as the sage said, "No man is an island". These feelings of isolation are common to sufferers, but you are not alone. In fact it is such a large club that if I were to print Tee-shirts, I`d make a bomb.
The usergroup that I mentioned is now up and working, after a few tweaks, so once again:-

If you want to talk face to face, or on the phone, then contact any member with the word"Listener" beneath their name at the bottom left of every post they make.You can do this without the rest of the world knowing.You will be talking to a Bootneck.

Any member, P.T.S.D. or not, who would like to become a listener, contact any one with"Listener" on their posts.

In either event, if you click on the word"Usergroup" you will see a list of listeners and their locations.

It`s good to talk, but it`s better to meet :wink:
yours, Aye

Harry

P.S. As for you Owdun, is this the face of someone who gives a shit :wink:
colours

ptsd

Post by colours »

Sorry that I have not taken part in any of the forum discussions for so long, please understand, this is how my luck has ran for the last six weeks.

1. PC power supply, motherboard, graphics card, sound card, blew up. Despite being less than 2 years old motherboard was obsolete, upgrade out of the question for financial reasons; new memory, chipset, etc etc. I eventually replaced all items but it has taken time to find them.
2. Scotty puppy (6 months old) drowns in pond outside house while rest of family is away and I am preparing for C.O.’s rounds.
3. My African Grey parrot has pines at the loss of the puppy, refuses to eat or talk and becomes ill, antibiotics have no effect, (he is still at the vets as I write).
4. My best friend in the services (Russ Williams) dies in a RTA
5. The mother of my puppy is attacked whilst on our property, dragged through a 9x6 inch hole by a Staffordshire bull terrier and mauled, requiring emergency vet’s treatment.
6. I attend the funeral of my best friend

I bullshit you all not!

Regards
Yorkie Malone

Post by Yorkie Malone »

It's true cos Ive been getting emails and a phone call, and returning them.

Keep talking mate

SyY
colours

Good to talk

Post by colours »

Greetings,

Isn't it a damning indictment on our beloved Corps that we as ex-Royal Marines having to set up a support group in order to help our brothers-in-arms.

I spoke about it to my physiologist about it yesterday (he’s an ex-pongo) and thinks it’s a great idea. However, having dealt with many ex-servicemen with PTST and related illness during his 40 yrs as a professional, he is not in the slightest impressed with the attitude and treatment of suffers. He is of the opinion that the services have, and are continuing to brush the whole issue under the rug rather than admit that it is, an occupational hazard!

If there is anyone out there who wishes to speak to me as someone who has recently been right down there in the blackness, firmly in the grip of PTSD and going over the edge please get in touch. I’m finding my way back but only by knowing that out there are individuals who do give a damn!

Regards

Colours
colours

Post by colours »

Harry,

I agree with you all whole heartedly, you have all my support and any help which you think I may render.

We all need someone who can just listen and be there.m. Luckily I know that Yorkie and Trish are just a call away when, and believe me I, at times, do truly need them! Again as I feel more resilient the times I draw on that support diminishes, but the fact that I know that they are there for me is enough now.

I also think that I am lucky in that my GP understood my condition and immediately put me in touch which the practice psychologist whom I see every two weeks, ‘just to keep me ticking over.’ I would not miss his support, understanding and encouragement for anything As Carol King sang “call me if you need a friend.” How true that is!!

Regards

Colours