Share This Page:

what to do?

Discussions and general chat about PTSD. Feel free to introduce yourself or if you need help, please reach out and ask.
mardy_cow!!

what to do?

Post by mardy_cow!! »

what do you say / do , who do you call/shout at when his having a really bad day? how do i get through to a half drunken man who is convinced he cant live with this anymore and wants to end it? i've tried the shrink ( still on waiting list and will get back to me) the drs ( his awaiting an appointment with mental health - we'll call them to see if its gonna be long) poor bloke has been trying by himself ( with me and the kids stood by him) for 13months now and the cracks are getting bigger. 'mental heath' put him on tablets to help while we wait for cbt 4 weeks ago, but he has stopped taking them after 10 days because he gets the shakes and says there not helping.

not sure wot to do when he talks like this- anyone got any ideas? his ramblings ( usually drunken - happening alot which isnt helping) are getting worse and i'm worried that one day i wont be enough to talk him around.
I want to help more but just dont know how.
mardy
x
Holger Danske

Post by Holger Danske »

Paroxetin has helped me alot..

But talking to mates who has been in the same situation is the best thing...

Why not introduce him to this forum..??
matt2206

Post by matt2206 »

Mardy

Hope things get better for you all, previous posters advice about talking to mates ect is a good one, though I would advise against Paroxetine (also known as seroxat).

One of it's side effects is to induce suicidal tendancies:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paroxetine

I would check the prescription he was given from the MO, could be a contributing factor........

The CBT when he gets on it should help him handle things better.

Anyway Good Luck
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Try talking to family support at Combat Stress.
The link you sent me was from ages ago, it had info hosted on an old site. Seem to remember it was from when we first set up the listener group. Most of what was on that link is on here anyway.
DO NOT get hubby on any meds simply because they work for someone else. It`s not like paracetamol. Read this post about referrals to CS, there`s more than one way to skin a cat and your nhs doctor has different priorities to you. :wink:

viewtopic.php?t=801
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Doc

Post by Doc »

Sertraline is better than seroxat.

Pills dont help PTSD much only one of its many symptoms.

Talking is best.

Doc
Artist

Post by Artist »

Doc wrote:Sertraline is better than seroxat.

Pills dont help PTSD much only one of its many symptoms.

Talking is best.

Doc
Bang on Doc. The real problem with PTSD is that it never leaves you even when you have been sussed as having it. For me it's mostly at night when my physical injuries hurt that I tend to go downstairs and watch the box or go online (like I'm doing now). So Flighty can get her kip. Or when I'm ball bagged and really tressed out that it gives me hassle. I recently woke up shitting a brick because I could not lay my hands on my rig and weapon. Flighty brought me back to normality by asking me just what the bloody hell I was on about (She has never lived with a serviceman be he EX or serving until she met me).

The main problem is, is that things in your past feel like they happened yonks ago, whilst other things seem like they happened just a day ago (depending on your mindset). It's not nice, it makes for a torrid time for both yourself and the person living with you.

I am now on happy pills due to my mindset yet again. I did a Basket Weaving course in 1987 at Haslar. 3 months of being honest both with myself and the other people present. Best thing I ever did. The plus is that I can talk about it now.........Back then I thought it was a feed of shite when it to came to people needing help. In point of fact I was so full of my own self that I even took the piss out of guys who went sick with it.

My admission that I had a real problem came in 1987 whilst I was in "Joannas" nightclub, Southsea seafront, Pompey. Long story short I was pissed as handcarts when this PO from the Royal Yaught turned to with a young Bootneck and two other matelots. Something in my head went BANG!

I lost three days of my life and was found sitting on a bench on the seafront with no memories of what I did. I put the PO in RNH Haslar with a broken cheekbone, nose, collarbone and a compressed fracture to his head. Of his two Oppos, one was also in Haslar with a broken right wrist, the other was in HMS Nelson's sickbay suffering with concussion, of the young Marine........Turned out he legged it ASAP and reported me to the Cops.

PTSD.........Fecks up your life and the best thing to do is to admit you have a problem and let people who know how to treat people suffering from it ASAP.

Artist