Share This Page:

council tax benefit

General chat about Military Finance, Pensions, etc.
adj125

council tax benefit

Post by adj125 »

If I am working abroad and classed as non resident is my wife entilted to the reduction in council tax ie single occupancy? Also does anyone know any other benefits that may be avaliable.

Thanks
Ex RE 1986 till 1997
adj125

Post by adj125 »

Thanks will try my council was also thinking of wife telling them that i had left her. Dont know if that would work ?
Ex RE 1986 till 1997
rwil

Council Tax

Post by rwil »

Hi

I have been in touch with my local council to query the same thing. They have told me that even though my husband is abroad for 6 months I am still not entitled to the single persons reduction. Rather than a reason why, the council sent me details of a case in the late 1990's, where a soldier's wife had taken her local authority to court over this issue & lost. Due to this they apparently don't have to issue any reduction. However if my hubby were to be jailed for 6 months then I would qualify for a reduction! Therefore I have started a petition because I feel so strongly about it & I think this case should be reviewed in lieu of the fact that the number of military personnel on operations abroad has increased rapidily in recent years. Here is the link:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/soldiertax/

please add your name & send this t all your family & friends

hope this helps!!