Share This Page:

'scouse'

Discussions about those units who make up the Commando’s.
JR

'scouse'

Post by JR »

:) Ahoy there,just another naval expression which has crept into the English language 'Scouse', As the victualling began to improve in the 'Andrew' new terms were coined for various dishes,the genetic slang name was 'Scran','Lobscouse' familiar also to the men of the Merchant navy,and in particular those who served in ships manned from Liverpool (hence the term 'Scouse' for a Liverpudlian). So you see apart from nicking wheel hubs? they also invented a dish 'Lobscouse' consisting of minced salt beef stewed with vegetables,and hard tack biscuits added.
Over to you Antipodean Harry??? Aye jr :wink: :wink:
Who needs the World as your Oyster,When you've had the world as your cap Badge
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Jim, how could you, tut :roll:
Scouse bashing, by the numbers, Wunner :o

Ded Rite there Lar, Scouse (the dish) was derived from the German seamen`s requests for "Lobscouse" which is so close to Irish Stew that many Scousers cannot differentiate. :oops:
Mind you, that`s because most of them are full of Diet Coke :roll:
Scouse( the dish) has a certain" secret ingredient" It`s widely used in HMP Service, to thicken the mashed potatos, as you know Jim 8)
Why d`ya think it`s called "Lob Scouse"?

Aye, Harry,(the dish) :wink:

Outlaw is due in November, with suitcase full of Pusser`s 8) Ooh yes :drinking:
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Jim did you get the library to order the Endurance book?
It is the definitive work on Jim Cook( not a Scouser) :wink:

Thing about Scouse(the dish) is that you can vary the ingredients to suit what you`ve managed to lift from Tesco`s. Here`s some recipes, have a go. Me mam never used minced beef. by the way, always cubed :roll: http://www.liverpoolpictorial.co.uk/recipe2.htm
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
JR

Post by JR »

:wink: Cheers 'H' something else I've learned?. I am still on the search for the 'Jimmy'Cook story,I have all the detailed plans of the Endevour,and if this bloody rain keeps on I'll build the ship and sail over the horizon to far off lands 'Janner land' springs to mind,on second thoughts NO, many many 'outlaws' reside in the area,the only snag is when I go to the Reunion the B'stards are waiting at the main gate.Aye JR :angel: :angel:
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

When I was at school one of my teachers was from Liverpool, and he told us about 'One-eyed Scouse' which is apparently the vegetarian version.
Sounds like veg soup to me...
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
Mike

Post by Mike »

Anyone ever hear the Pompy/Hampshire expression 'Namitt' this was a word for the crusties, rather like the Cornish Pasties which were filled with any type of cheap vegatables....hence Namitt. No Meat
Aye
Mike
The Honourable Lord Mike of Loch Borralan
.........................Because I AM Worth IT..xxxx.......Never Mistake Motion for Action
JR

Post by JR »

:wink: Avast there,another little story from the days of 'Hearts of Oak'.
Breakfast and supper items of food attracted their own peculiar nicknames.Thus a kipper became a 'Spithead pheasant',a'deep sea' or 'one-eyed steak'; tinned tomatoes were known as 'red lead'; and meat pasties known as 'tiddy-oggies',(a well known bootneck bag ration),corned beef was dubbed 'corned dog', the next installment is how the 'Fanny' got Its name,(Honi soit qui Mal Y Pense) Ha.Aye Jr :angel:
Mike

Post by Mike »

Evil to him who thinks evil....or somit very similar
The Honourable Lord Mike of Loch Borralan
.........................Because I AM Worth IT..xxxx.......Never Mistake Motion for Action
Artist

Post by Artist »

Sh*t on a Raft was one that threw me sideways the first time I saw and heard of it.

Not the sort of thing you find in some bistros mind.

Artist
bigbart

Post by bigbart »

Artist wrote:Sh*t on a Raft was one that threw me sideways the first time I saw and heard of it.

Not the sort of thing you find in some bistros mind.

Artist
Sounds delicious. Could you enlighten some of us with under-developed palates as to what "sh*t on a raft" actually is? Or don't I want to know...?
"Some day a real rain will come and wash all the scum off the streets..."
Frank S.

Post by Frank S. »

Melted chocolate on toast?
Inquiring minds want to know...
:D
bigbart

Post by bigbart »

Frank S. wrote:Melted chocolate on toast?
Inquiring minds want to know...
:D
Or sausage on a waffle?
"Some day a real rain will come and wash all the scum off the streets..."
JR

Post by JR »

:oops: 'Fanny' In 1867 the navy began to issue tinned mutton to the fleet in 'Pompey'.Although an excellent product,it did not find favour with the sailors and Marines. The reason, in that year a particulary gruesome crime attracted considerable publicity in the local Portsmouth newspapers.
A solicitors clerk named Fred Baker of Alton Hampshire,murdered a young girl named Fanny Adams dismembered her body the fragments of the poor girls body were scattered about in a field and a nearby stream.
Jack being Jack thereupon dubbed the new unpopular issue of tinned mutton 'Fanny Adams', and oddly enough,once a handle had been wired to the top of the tin of mutton the empty tin lent itself to various domestic uses on board ship, such as,for instance,a receptacle in which to draw the mess's daily rum issue.The Admiralty took the hint,the corned mutton was withdrawn,and in due course a new lower deck mess utensil made its appearance in the fleet to replace the old and cumbersome wooden 'Kit'.Not surprisingly, it was know as a 'Fanny'. You evil old b'stards thought I was going to come up with the other version.Aye JR :roll:
John_D

Post by John_D »

Jim
I came across this

Name: Fanny
Manufacturer: Valio
Bought in: Finland

Half a year after enthusing about Grated Fanny, Magnus finally 'came upon a Fanny', a purer example of the genre as it lacks the adjective, but in my opinion not quite as ace as it doesn't contain fish. Then again, our American friends would find more realism in a chocolate fanny than a fishy one, so it's all dirty-minded horses for international courses.
It doesn't take any great intimacy with the Scandinavian languages to determine that this is a milk chocolate dessert, but as for tasting notes I'll have to leave you to find your own carton. My guess - probably not the nicest Fanny you've ever tasted, but I'll wager it would surely be the sweetest.

To my pleasant surprise, the Fannies are 'coming thick and fast' all of a sudden. Not only has Redstar offered to send a snap of his 'pastis fanny' (a funny phrase however you look at it), but Paul and Jane sent me the label from some Fanny oranges, as you'll see below. These were bought in France, but originated in Spain, and they bring to mind vivid and disturbing images whenever one considers 'getting fruity' with a lady.
[img]http://www.amazing-animations.com/gif/flag007.gif[/img]
JR

Post by JR »

:P John_D,Brills being a 'nutty' fiend the chocolate one would be delicious.Aye JR :angel: