Share This Page:

Famous Quotes about the RM

Discussions about those units who make up the Commando’s.
Rogue Chef

Famous Quotes about the RM

Post by Rogue Chef »

Ahoy there!
I was recently reminded of a quote that I was told years ago. As I recall it was attributed to Princess Margaret, and was someything on the lines that RMs should be kept away from decent folk and supplied with as much beer and women as required to keep them happy, until such times that the country needed them.
Can anyone verify/deny the accuracy of this quote?
Any others?
Sea Soldier

Post by Sea Soldier »

'Ere Steve,

That's rich, ... coming from a woman who certainly lived up to the "Ad Man's" dream ... to "Drink Gordons Dry" ! :lol:

What a "Waste of Rations" She was !:fist:
Kevin (Sea Soldier)
Keep Working .... Millions on Benefit depend on YOU !!!
Mutley

Post by Mutley »

Thank f.......................................................... she never tried plymouth.
Mind you there are some who might have earned a few quid (no I wont go there).

Hello Gran
Wein, weib und gesang

[img]http://www.hotink.com/wacky/m-ani.gif[/img]

[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
sharky

Post by sharky »

I was stripeys mess barman in 42, 79/80 when the Corps Bully told the tale at a small late night gathering. Apparently the following occured at a Royal Tournament where he was the lead instructor in an U/C display. According to him her words were 'Royal Marines are all animals who should be locked in cages and only let out in the case of National emergencies'. Ten mins later aforesaid Corps Bully was being presented to HRH at post Tournament cocktails. As his name was called he shouts out 'just getting out of my cage'. Grim looks allround. What a bloke.
Andy O'Pray

Post by Andy O'Pray »

Apparently her favourite drink was Green Urquhart whiskey, the most foul tasting whiskey I have ever had the misfortune to drink and believe me, I have tried them all.

I received this information from the Lt: Governor of Alberta's protocol officer, who advised that whenever she visited Alberta, he had to order in two cases of Green Urquhart whiskey.

Aye - Andy :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:
Sea Soldier

Post by Sea Soldier »

Whilst on the subject of "P.M." ... or "Margot" as she preferred to be known by her "luvvie" accolytes,I once saw her at Windsor Castle,with legs that resembled a Canal map,of which British Waterways would have been
proud !

I remember a story circulating,some years back, that the Detachment on the Yacht had a "souvenir" reating to her ! ... Can anyone verify/deny this story ? :wink:

Calling all ex "Yachties" ... over !
Kevin (Sea Soldier)
Keep Working .... Millions on Benefit depend on YOU !!!
dave barrett

Post by dave barrett »

I think we maybe getting a couple of Urban myths mixed up here, I was always led to believe that the "Animals that should be locked up on a desert island until a time of national emergency" quote was attributed to some left wing female politician in the early fifties when she was visiting Cyprus during the EOKA uprising..Very Similar to Lady Astor's comment about the D-Day Dodgers in Italy, in WWII.

As far as the Royal souvenir from the yacht goes, I heard it that it came from HM QE II, and was caught and varnished by one Marine, who after leaving the Corps gained a reputation as a cartoonist in the national newspapers and puplished under the name of "Darkie"......That's are how I heard them anyway!

Regards Dave B.
John_D

Post by John_D »

Hi Dave
On one of out tours to Cyprus I met an old schhool Friend on the
Sheffield he showed me a similar souvenir encased in glass,
could this be one and the same or could it be that there where
a few knocking around.?

Aye
John_D
[img]http://www.amazing-animations.com/gif/flag007.gif[/img]