Share This Page:

Hello,This is intelligence speaking

Discussions about those units who make up the Commando’s.
Artist

Post by Artist »

Harry, Mmmmmm? COFF! COFF! (liar)

Leslie Philips was the No 1. (left hand down a bit, steady)

K. Williams was never in the Navy Lark. Was in Round the Horne. My favorite charactor he played was "Rambling Sid Rumpo" (I've just been dipping onto the old gander bag and have come with a most unintresting madrigol ever wrriten)

My favorite song he ever sang was "the Runcorn Cob sploderlers song" Ifen anyone wants A copy of Rambling Sid Rumpos Greatest hits just gis us a bell. (I have a copy, complete with scratch marks, included at no extra cost)

Myself, The Goons rule. The jet propelled guided NAAFI being one of my favorites.

Artist
Wholley

Rambling Sid

Post by Wholley »

Artist.I think he was known as Rambling Sid Rumpole.
As for the Goons,I have to agree with you.
HH.Why would you Lie to me?
Five years old indeed!Just as well I could'nt find my revolver.
Wholley :drinking:
Artist

Post by Artist »

Wholley

Definitly Rumpo. oie checked the LP sleeve, who cares anyway he was dead funny. (maybe not Rumpo a bit of HBM is obscuring a fair portion of the sleeve along with other bits and bobs. I.E. coffee stains and yuk gathered over the years)

Used to have a ruck of goon show tapes but alas over the years have been borrowed, lost or left some where. Now down to just 3. I keep em in the car as this is the only time I can listen to them without getting flak from the family. It's sad that all four have died but thats what happens.
Sellers. Milligan. Seacombe. Bentine.

Artist
Last edited by Artist on Thu 31 Jul, 2003 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
barryc

Post by barryc »

Rarely missed a transmission of the Navy Lark, Sub Lt Phillips with his `left hand down a bit' usually followed shortly after by PO Pertwee shouting `Everbody Down' as a prelude to a collision. Also used to have a colonial twist with the Batami (spelling?) Landers who were taught navigation and seamanship by Sub Lt Phillips, with similar consequences.

Great show. Also, as mentioned Round the Horn and Beyond our Ken which we listened to again on BFBS whilst out in Singers. The radio (should really refer to it as the wireless to stay in period) still has the power to prompt the imagination and, in that way, beats the box anytime.

For the even older Guys, how's about Dick Barton and also The Adventures of the Scarlet Pimpernel and Valentine Dyall (The Man in Black).

Barry
BC
owdun

Post by owdun »

Never got into Dick Barton for some reason, but old Valentine could scare the pants of us kids in the 30s and 40s, the dark brown voice was perfect for the stories he told. The golden era of radio was the 30s to 60s,before the idiot box took hold.

Aye Owdun. :evil:
Wully

Post by Wully »

I well remember Dick Barton and in fact I met him - the actor who played him not Dick Barton !!! - in the Falkland Islands in 1973. These days there is nothing to touch radio shows like 'Round the Horn' and the 'Navy Lark'. Always remember Jimmy Edwards and the Glums. Just cannot find these modern 'alternative comedians' funny; the always have to resort to smut and bad language to try and raise a laugh.
Wully
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Pilgrim Norway

Post by Pilgrim Norway »

Hang on Jock and Snowy - Artist, Wully and Owdun too !

Do you remember the following lines from the Show - and the weather at the time ? Dark and rainy I suppose. I remember of course ALL of the lines..... ( Five years old Harry ? ).

( All Spike Milligan ).

I don’t like this game, let’s play another game – let’s play doctors and nurses.
Phrase first used by Bluebottle in ‘The Phantom Head-Shaver’ in the Goon Show 15 October 1954.

You rotten swines. I told you I’d be deaded.
Bluebottle in ‘Hastings flyer’ – Goon Show 3 January 1956.

You silly twisted boy.
Phrase first used in’ The Dreaded Batter Pudding Hurler’
The Goon Show 12 October 1954

Money couldn’t buy friends but you got a better class of enemy.
Puckoon ch.6 1963 - Terence Alan Milligan

Many of Spike Milligans phrases became standard 'Marinespeak' in the fifties and early sixties....

'Aye
Trog
45 Recce yomper

[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

A while back I bought some tapes of the Goon Shows. Didn't seem so funny this time round, for some reason? :( :(
Wholley

Dock Green.

Post by Wholley »

Seem to have got the grey cells moving a bit,so I'll try this.
"Dixon of Dock Green"anyone.My Father knew Jack Warner and I had the chance to meet him when I was was a sprog.He came across as a real nice guy but a little awe inspiring for a little crumb-snatcher like me.I think it showed on Friday evening but I cannot for the life of me remember any other cast members name.
Wholley

The Goons

Post by Wholley »

Sisyphus,
Maybe there not so funny because the principals have left us. :cry: :cry:
barryc

Post by barryc »

Dixon of Dock Green, "Evenin' All", was regular Saturday Night fare for some years, da da da dedada etc.

Barry
BC
sunman

Post by sunman »

.'I say,you fellows!'.........Who was...
'The fat owl of the Remove'

Aye Sunman 8)
I'm just 2 people short of a threesome.
Contractor

Post by Contractor »

Was it that chap Bunter?
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

they always have to resort to smut and bad language to try and raise a laugh.
Wot? Me? :o Surely not :roll:
Frank, what you got up to, in your own time, is nobodys` business but your own :wink:
Never got into Dick Barton for some reason
I still remember the way you looked, fondly, at those beefers in that pub in Brum :P
Two-way Familly Favourites, with Judith Chalmers, anyone 8)
Shut up, the Archers are on next.
Scared shitless, listening to Quatermass, won`t be able to sleep tonight at the thought :o Was Alfie Bass "Lemmie", btw? Or was that some other show?
Aye, Five Year Old :wink:
P.S. Is Dick Barton the village next to Marsh Barton? I think we should be told :P
Twenty One

Post by Twenty One »

I can remember Alfie Bass and Bill Fraser in'The Army Game' and 'Bootsie and Snudge'.
Dissent Protects Democracy,Gezza Brek!