Share This Page:

Commando, Royal Marine, ?

Discussions about those units who make up the Commando’s.
lodgi

Commando, Royal Marine, ?

Post by lodgi »

I'm just wondering if a Commando (British) is a Royal Marine because I've always thought so. But I've seen a book synopsis saying how the commandos were reformed in 1970 to support the Royal Marines, whats that all about?

And, what does it mean to be commando trained?
Andy O'Pray

Post by Andy O'Pray »

After WW11 the army disbanded their commando units, but the RM continued with theirs. What you probably read was the commando training of some RA batteries and RE squadrens who were to support RM commando units. These commando trained batteries and squadrens now make up the commando group.

Aye - Andy.
always go commando

Post by always go commando »

i've missed nine World Wars!!
stuck in a rut, unsure about the future, unsure about the military lifestyle, for a while anyway
Andy O'Pray

Post by Andy O'Pray »

a.g.c, I think that you have missed more than nine world wars. One normally uses Roman numerals when identifying the world wars.

Aye - Andy. :roll:
rabby

Post by rabby »

What, you mean like this WWII. :P
There are 3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.
Andy O'Pray

Post by Andy O'Pray »

Very observant rabby, yes just like that.

Aye - Andy. :lol: :oops: :lol:
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Andy it would seem that the Army are trying to reclaim hitory or grab themselves some...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... ortal.html
Yours Aye
Tony L
[url=http://www.civvie-street.co.uk][img]http://www.onceamarinealwaysamarine.co.uk/images/sigyomp.gif[/img][/url]
Mike

Post by Mike »

God forbid.... would that mean the Royal would have to become Pongos an have to sign a bath book........... Cm'on Jack you know you love us.....you do you know.... you really do! :lol: You don't want to loose a wonderfully relationship do you
Aye
The Honourable Lord Mike of Loch Borralan
.........................Because I AM Worth IT..xxxx.......Never Mistake Motion for Action
Andy O'Pray

Post by Andy O'Pray »

Tony L.

That was terrible news to awaken someone with, it would be akin to forcing the Pope to become a protestant. As Mike said, God forbid.

I recall back in the early to mid 60's, there was talk, rumour, gossip of the RM obtaining their own light artillery pieces, in order to train for the rebirth of the Royal Marine Artillery. At that time there were still naval gunnery ranks within the Corps, many reclassifying as Heavy Weapons. It was considered that the nucleus was there to train our own artillery.

The army at this time was going through a large reduction in manpower and were amalgamating, or disbanding regiments. I believe that it was at this time the decision was made to have army personell do the AACC and become the support elements to the RM cdo units.

I will repeat, talk, rumour, gossip, as I was not of a rank that I would have been consulted on such matters.

It is time for a fighting withdrawal to HMS Ocean lads, where we can discuss our next move.

Aye - Andy. :o :o :o
Contractor

Post by Contractor »

Come on chaps, you know the Army would look after you and it's your true home.

As for the 'bath book' - regular bathing is good for you. you would all soon get used to it.

Welcome aboard lads :D
barryc

Post by barryc »

NO NO a thousand times NO. An important part of every one of us Booties is attributable to our partnership with the navy. I never wanted to serve on a ship but like all Royals liked to be near the sea and our floating rear echelon. Part of the army, ugh!.. Some good guys there but our whole ethos is different, and special to us.

Come on Jack, dig in the heels of your sea boots and keep Royal part of the Navy, we love you really.

Barry
BC
JR

Post by JR »

:wink: i dont think 'Royal' will ever be intergrated into the Army?,allthough some of the Army have been brainwashed into the ways and means of the Marines?.Captains of Her Majestys Ships have always considered Royal Marines when Borne onboard Ship whether as detachment or an Assault force to be his secondry Arnament,and whatever would the RN do without their Musician's.I think Gen,Sir.Mike.Jackson ought to pack his bags (wink wink) and go forth and multiply.Aye JR :wink: :wink:

Mind you we have given the Army some of I'ts finest regiments that were first formed as Marines.
Who needs the World as your Oyster,When you've had the world as your cap Badge
Contractor

Post by Contractor »

Taken from the Telegraph source:
An MoD spokesman said there were no current plans to move the Royal Marine Commandos from Royal Navy control to that of the Army.
Looks like it will happen then
Contractor

Post by Contractor »

Before I log off, my non-wind up thoughts on the subject:

If it works, why tamper with it? The Royal Marines in my opinion works damn well in its current form and should be left 'as is'. Damned silly idea.

Aye, Tony
John_D

Commando

Post by John_D »

First I must apologize to Tony and the moderators,
I did not notice this when I opened a new Topic
" Hot off the Press"

If you recall, a while back I stated how the british forces was in for a big shake up , and that it would be based around " Commando 21"
and that its dead line was sited as the year 2010. I also commented
that I wondered if it would still carry the name of " Royal Marine"

Aye

John_D
[img]http://www.amazing-animations.com/gif/flag007.gif[/img]