Share This Page:

Congressional Medal of Honour

Discussions about those units who make up the Commando’s.
Chris B

Congressional Medal of Honour

Post by Chris B »

I was reading an article in The Times recently that mentioned the award by President Bush of the CMH to a Royal Marine for an action in Afganistan last year. It actually said it was much publicised and yet it was the first I have heard of it. Can anyone cast any light on this? And further, does anyone know of any other British service personnel who have been awarded the U.S.'s highest award?
faddius

Post by faddius »

I looked into this story when it came out and emailed the association for CMOH, in their reply they said that they had recieved numerous emails on this topic but infact none had been given since Somalia and as such this awarding is unsubstantiated. I also asked them if they were awarded and not reported. In relation to this they said that SF CMOH are reported althought they made no reference to classified actions as to whether they are reported.
El Prez

Post by El Prez »

Hi Chris, welcome home. I beleive the CMOH was awarded to the SB SNCO in charge of the party that returned to the jail in Afghanistan where the prisoners had attacked the US CIA operatives. They rescued one and called in airstrikes to quieten the rebellious bastards down a bit. Sadly one American was killed.
You should talk to somebody who gives a f**k.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Robiz/movie_star_wars_yoda.gif[/img]
El Presidente
Tab

Post by Tab »

It was awarded back in early February in England. It was awared to a Serjeant in the SBS, It was awarded for charging in with his team of five men to rescue an American CIA agent who was trapped when the prisoners took over that fort and captured the arenal there. He saved one
American agent the other had been killed by the mob, he and his team held of the the armed prisoners for five days and guided in Air strikes
to help take out large armed groups and help in the recapture of the fort.
The Americans on the outside of the fort tried to stop him going in as they they thought it was madness to go into such a hell hole.
A well earned award me thinks
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

This was covered on here at the time, along the lines of Rob`s reply. Use the search facility :wink:
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
joe

Post by joe »

I was under the impression the CMOH could only be awarded to Yanks ... as such, was it not a SEAL on attachment with the SBS?
Skiffle

Post by Skiffle »

Joe,

An intresting idea. Without refreshing myself on the threads El prez and harry mention, There was a navy seal atached to SB, he assisted the duty senior (also an american) while opening up an armoury one night at a marine base.

He was until a few weeks ago on a cross-military training program for the last few years.
Chaos, Disorder, Destruction.....My work here is done!

"The man who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd. The man who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been. --- Alan Ashley Pitt"

Why can't you accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue.
Tab

Post by Tab »

It was awarded by an act of Congress for the bravery shown in saving American lives. Rather like awarding an American with a Knighthood etc;
Tab

Post by Tab »

If we follow the same line of thinking then there are British Regiments that have been awarded a Presidential Commendation and carry the Star and Stripes banner from their Regimental Colours
Tab

Post by Tab »

It was a serjeant in the SBS, and he did save a American CIA agent.
Chris B

Post by Chris B »

Many thanks El Prez, Tab, et al. It's good to know, especially in view of the MoS article that has had such air time in this forum. This topic is far more reflective of the corps we know. Not least when you consider the high degree of professionalism shown by our guys (40, 42, 539, 29, 148, 59, etc) in the recent campaign.