Share This Page:

how long,application process?

Discussions about those units who make up the Commando’s.
hannibal143

how long,application process?

Post by hannibal143 »

Well,my tale is bizarre.I am about to go very very soon to para depot to start my basic training.However,yesterday I got a call from my home town AFCO (long story short,found my old sim card put that in,after activated saw few missed calls,voicemails etc from them) where I had a long time ago filled my RM application,that I have a date for interview and the likes.Apparently,they have been trying to get hold of me for sometime before I made a new application with the army(when I moved residence).

My question is simply,does the application process really take 9 months or so?Because if it does I might as well go to depot(PARA),even though,my heart is really with the marines.If not,oh well,I wont mind starting from scratch.

Your thoughts much obliged.The chief petty officer who contacted me will be travelling down here on friday to have a chat with me,so please,squeeze your help before friday morning (lunch time meeting at my same present AFCO).
wanna_be_sky_god

Post by wanna_be_sky_god »

Sea hat or Maroon machine.

In all seriousness you should go with what your heart tells you. The Petty Officer should be able to rush your aplication along you will just have to ask him to do that.

You should still go Para though ;)
stuelwell

Post by stuelwell »

it all depends on what you want to do. the marines go in and secure the area to allow the likes of the paras to do peace keeping, giving rations out and making sure the locals have drinking water.
"GOD HAS A HARD ON FOR MARINES, BECAUSE WE KILL EVERYTHING WE SEE"
timex

Post by timex »

If your heart is with the Corps then will you be happy knowing you didn't give them a chance?
wanna_be_sky_god

Post by wanna_be_sky_god »

stuelwell wrote:it all depends on what you want to do. the marines go in and secure the area to allow the likes of the paras to do peace keeping, giving rations out and making sure the locals have drinking water.
Yeah because the paras are a real peace keeping regiment.............
SandyTheGuvnor

Post by SandyTheGuvnor »

stuelwell wrote:it all depends on what you want to do. the marines go in and secure the area to allow the likes of the paras to do peace keeping, giving rations out and making sure the locals have drinking water.
Right i will take that as a wind up if not you are a complete idiot.
Things you feel like doing after being hit in the liver :
-Vomitting
-Suffocating
-Shitting yourself
-Passing out
-Crying for your mummy
-Stop taking part in any kind of violent sport.......
stuelwell

Post by stuelwell »

hannibal143, the above comments are perce coming to terms with their chuff job. Seriously though mate join the corps :lol:
SandyTheGuvnor

Post by SandyTheGuvnor »

stuelwell wrote:hannibal143, the above comments are perce coming to terms with their chuff job. Seriously though mate join the corps :lol:
So you are a complete idiot so i guess what 3 para did in 06 and what 2 para are doing now in Afghan is peacekeeping is it MONG

heres a joke for you

whats the difference between a para reg ration pack and a marine ration pack.

marines get a white flag in theres.
-Vomitting
-Suffocating
-Shitting yourself
-Passing out
-Crying for your mummy
stuelwell

Post by stuelwell »

ha ha your a funny bloke SandyTheGuvnor, got any more jokes? that last one was the best iv heard in ages :roll:
hannibal143

Post by hannibal143 »

cheerz you lot.but still you haven't,esp.,those who have had done the application process helped by telling me how long it took their processing?

(Not to get drafted in the stuewell v guvnor crossfire)Of Course,with no doubt the RM are the best of the two.(even my late father,a veteran of Falklands war,served on HMS Conqueror,the sub,used always to tell me saw).well,gonna call 08456075555 and asked them for more detail,I asked because the last time and spoke to CPO he said the process might take 9months at least.
SandyTheGuvnor

Re: how long,application process?

Post by SandyTheGuvnor »

hannibal143 wrote:Well,my tale is bizarre.I am about to go very very soon to para depot to start my basic training
If that is true do you really think you should be saying this

hannibal143 wrote:Of Course,with no doubt the RM are the best of the two.

I look forward to the look on the platoon staffs faces when they see this :wink:
-Vomitting
-Suffocating
-Shitting yourself
-Passing out
-Crying for your mummy
stuelwell

Post by stuelwell »

"Of Course,with no doubt the RM are the best of the two"
enough said :wink:
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

hannibal143 wrote:Of Course,with no doubt the RM are the best of the two.
Was there anything that put you off being a Royal Marine?

(Edit: Illustration picture removed)

Go for Depot if you've always wanted to serve in the Parachute Regiment; you know, going for the corps doesn't stop you earning your wings. :wink:

But obviously it's your choice.
hannibal143 wrote:I asked because the last time and spoke to CPO he said the process might take 9months at least.
He might've been refering to the length of training?

Best of luck whatever you settle on.
Last edited by Patrick on Tue 14 Oct, 2008 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

hannibal143 wrote:Of Course,with no doubt the RM are the best of the two.(even my late father,a veteran of Falklands war,served on HMS Conqueror,the sub,used always to tell me saw)
Go for the Marines then cause Para Reg won't want you, especially if you're already thinking about jacking before you've even arrived. Plus your dads opinion, having never served in either Regiment, isn't really worth Jack shit is it?

Anyway, I'm sure the Paras gain will be the Marines' loss :P

stuelwell wrote:the marines go in and secure the area to allow the likes of the paras to do peace keeping, giving rations out and making sure the locals have drinking water.
I'm guessing this response was said in half-jest but I'll bite anyway :wink:

Historically, it's usually Para Reg in first if it's an emergency as Paratroopers can be deployed a lot quicker than amphibious troops for obvious reasons. I'm talking in their traditional role of course ie; air deployable vs seaborne, as obviously if you put Bootnecks on a plane they'll travel just as fast as Paras.

Also a few examples of Para Reg going in first on Ops would be: Normandy & Suez. Then if you take the Falklands, Para Reg was first ashore, first into battle and first into Stanley! In more recent times the Paras have led the way into Kosovo and Sierra Leone as well as being the first combat troops into Helmand Province. 8)

The best modern demonstration of the Rapid Reaction capabilities of the two units would probably be Sierra Leone. Para Reg were flown in as the initial rescue/stabilisation force while the Amphibious Ready Group sailed from the Mediterranean to take over and were able to then supply the logistics needed for a longer operation.

The two Regiments compliment each other and being "first in" doesn't really matter much these days as with all the ops going on in Afghanistan and to a lesser extent Iraq I doubt we'll be seeing many rapid reaction ops for a while.
hannibal143

Post by hannibal143 »

thanks all,again.I have indeed made up my mind come tomorrow.

Alfa,my dad knew a lot,he was senior naval intel officer under T.D.O (the office of theater director of operations).He was involved with both the marines (a lot,as a part of naval forces and also having most of his mates from the corp) and the paras.He was one of the mid-officers who challenged the [a] insertion of SF north of the island (where the snow was thick and two helicopters encountered problems even before the operation got under way). he was also pissed at the command org (I remember him blaming the command echelon divisions of labour etc., as cause of our early forces problems during the war.He used to refer to this as the ''gallipoli'').

On issue of who is first,it is not a criteria for elite forces,first of all.And secondly,paras are to be expected to be the first(Gurkhas too,and so are the rangers of RIR),because the nation strategic doctrine calls for the army expeditionary readiness (if we remember our mil.hist. the BEF was made up of rag-tag army units and they were always the first,while commandos and special units were reduced to flank and deception operations).Naval doctrine is much independent and tend to seek flexibility in how,when and where it deploys its troopers.

All said,both forces are special within their own realms.