Share This Page:

Needs some advice

Discussions about those units who make up the Commando’s.
srb23

Needs some advice

Post by srb23 »

Hello gents

I have recently had to leave to uni over money matters, and I have now found my self with the unfortunate position of not knowing what to do with my self.
After sitting at the job centre today to sign on, I found my self looking around at all the pram pushers and chav spongers, thinking to my self that I really don't want to end like them with such a misarable existence and no future to look forward to.
I have been looking at different areas of the Armed forces, mostly infantry, and found that the marines appeal to me the most.
In my mind most paras I have met are a bunch of prats, though I don't want to sterotype, and I can't see the point of trying for a regional infantry regiment, when I know I would not be part of the best.
The marines to me would be my ultimate challange, part of me is excited and the other part thinks I an idiot to consider applying.
I say idiot, because at this present moment I am extremely unfit, years of student lifestyle and generally not being as active have turned me into a bit of a sloth.
I mean I'm not obese, and have no health problems to speak of, but if I was to say to someone that I was going to apply for the marines, they would probably laugh at me.
I'm 23 and have reached the stage in my life now where I feel its now or never time to get my self into shape, and have a crack at this, and in my mind its something I really want.
I just really don't know how to go about getting my self into shape properly, I know going for runs, doing weights, joining the gym etc would be a start, but I'm so uneducated on these things I'm worried I could just end injuring my self.
Can any one give me some pointers on how to ease my self back into getting fit, what routine I should try, whats good for both cardio and muscle building.
I think it would take at least a good year and half, maybe two, before I could feel ready to apply.
I have nothing left to lose, labour have put me 15k debt over student finance, and I can't really think of any thing else that would interest me, the prospect of a desk job makes me want to top myself.
I really want this and want to push my self beyond the norm, and look back and see how much I achieved, all I need is a little advice to get me going.
So if any one can give me some sound info that would be great.
Mike90

Re: Needs some advice

Post by Mike90 »

Edit: Sorry for the double-post, I'm on my new iPhone toy. :P
Last edited by Mike90 on Mon 18 Feb, 2008 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike90

Re: Needs some advice

Post by Mike90 »

srb23 wrote:In my mind most paras I have met are a bunch of prats, though I don't want to sterotype.
Why say "I don't want to stereotype" and then go ahead and do it anyway? I'm interested to know just how many Paras you have met and on a similar note how many Marines you have met as to not assume that they are 'prats' as well. If you want to go for the Marines then great but no matter what you do the chances are you will get on with some people more than others so don't dismiss the Paras just because you may have met a couple you didn't like.
With that out of the way regarding fitness have you checked out the Royal Marines website and MFAT? No matter what fitness program you follow you obviously need to reach the levels listed on the Marines fitness program at the very minimum so make sure you check that out to see what is expected of you. I'm not sure but I don't think any gym equipment is required to do any of the activites but it might be a good idea to join one anyway, if only to get a bit competitive with other people there to drive you on that bit more. You could also try to find a training partner but that might be a bit of a pain to find someone near you.

http://www.mfat.co.uk/
http://www.royalmarines.mod.uk/training ... g-tool.php
srb23

Post by srb23 »

Why say "I don't want to stereotype" and then go ahead and do it anyway?

Poor choice of words, I have just noticed a different personna between that of paras and marines.

Thanks for the MFAT link, thats the kinda of information i'm looking for, only just registered with the forum today so have not had a chance to have a good look around
sportbilly42

Post by sportbilly42 »

srb23 wrote: I have recently had to leave to uni over money matters
Should have sold yer fekin iPhone then you knob... EDIT (Sorry...wrong poster (that was Mike90 ...who has kindly pointed this out to me.. - getting all EXCITED!!) (See below...)
srb23 wrote: I found my self looking around at all the pram pushers and chav spongers, thinking to my self that I really don't want to end like them with such a misarable existence and no future to look forward to.
..and they were probably eyeing you up and thinking “Another Uni-dropout student mong who thinks the world owes him a favour..…” (and eyeing up yer purdy liddle iPhone too mind!) (Again...mis-reference...)
srb23 wrote: In my mind most paras I have met are a bunch of prats
We get all sorts of twonks on ‘ere mate but what sort of fekin response do you think you’re going to get when you use that as your ‘intro’ ffs!! :o
srb23 wrote: ….. part of me is excited and the other part thinks I'm an idiot to consider applying.
I say idiot…
Well that’s ONE thing we agree on…you’re an idiot… I’d be careful or you might make our W&%ker of the Week award…
srb23 wrote: Can any one give me some pointers on how to ease my self back into getting fit, what routine I should try
Try getting out of your scratcher before one in the afternoon and LAY OFF THE FEKIN POT NOODLES!! (standard student fare I’m lead to believe….)
srb23 wrote: ….labour have put me 15k debt over student finance
boo hoo shouldn’t have pissed your grant up against the campus wall then …. (God this gets worse!!)
srb23 wrote: …the prospect of a desk job makes me want to top myself.
…the prospect of seeing you apply for the Marines the way you are at the moment makes ME want to top myself…. and I was never IN the RM!!!
srb23 wrote: all I need is a little advice to get me going.
Pull yer fekin digit out yer rear end, stop feeling all drippy and sorry for yourself and get a grip on your life…. You’re not beyond hope but… boy! :roll:
Last edited by sportbilly42 on Tue 19 Feb, 2008 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mike90

Post by Mike90 »

I'm surprised it took someone so long to be 'less than gentle' as it has to be honest! SportBilly mate it is I who holds the beloved iPhone. Had it for a month and still have the bloody screen protector on it :roll: All that effort of quoting then unquoting just to rip into him as well! Must have been the most technical slaughter you have experienced, have you considered a job in I.T? :wink:
sportbilly42

Post by sportbilly42 »

Got one ... :wink: (Copy/paste...and delete the bits you don't want works a treat.. piece of wee-wee)
stuelwell

Post by stuelwell »

:o just speak your mind sportbilly :D
good effort 8)
"GOD HAS A HARD ON FOR MARINES, BECAUSE WE KILL EVERYTHING WE SEE"
London Boy

Post by London Boy »

I was going to reply on reading your opening salvo, but sportbilly has said everything to you that I would've, though perhaps with a bit more spice that I would've added. Thus saving me the trouble.

I was never a stoodent thank fcvk!

Advice? Get a physical job in a warehouse or on a building site for a
couple of years to get your mind and body in good shape, to get some social skills and to get yourself some work experience. Then think
about the armed forces again if that's what you want.

And if you want to know what the military life is like get yourself on a gang of scaffolders for a while and you'll soon find out - tough as old boots and as tight as a working team can get.

And stop fannying around with further education you're now 23 for god's sake, you should be working!
Sully

Post by Sully »

srb23 you sound a lot like I felt about 20 years ago. I was a stoodent once (thank fcvk :roll: ) and you probably wouldn't believe the shit I got as an RM recruit because of that - hey ho, I put up with it and cracked on.

In the end I left university, did a few labouring jobs and joined up to get away from crime, drink and drugs. Despite being a poofy student I came from a fairly notorious area and jobs were hard to come by. Probably the best job I had at the time was permanent nights in a warehouse - I had my own exercise stances (pull up beam etc.) set out in the warehouse and during the day I could pound the roads.

For what its worth I reckon you do need to start thinking positively about yourself (it may help you think more positively about others - your post does come across as condescending in parts) and sort yourself out and start getting fit if you want to join the RM. You've seen a touch of condescension in the replies above - not much fun is it?

Go to the careers office and look on the RM website for information, also do have a look at http://www.mfat.co.uk where you might find some training tips - the PRMC diaries would be useful (if you can find them - I think they're file under 'Articles' or something like that). If you think it will take you 18 months to prepare for the start of RM training then you should think about another unit or regiment - Bootnecks tend to have an inflated view of what is possible - but I s'pose that's the same for soldiers of any variety. A few months of hard work should get you there.

The great thing about getting fit is that its free and occupies time that you would have spent spending money. The bad (and good) thing about joining the RM is that nobody can do it for you. Find out what the PRMC requirements are (situps, pressups, running etc.) and just get cracking....now! You don't need instruction for these and there's no substitute for hard work.

Just do it - you won't regret it.
Last edited by Sully on Tue 19 Feb, 2008 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Per Flank, Per Tank
sportbilly42

Post by sportbilly42 »

Sorry srb23, it was one in the morning and I was IRRITABLE... Have now had a few hours of gonk-time...

As for joining up, setting aside 2 years prep time is a bit excessive! And you may give up hope after a while unless you're focussed... A few months of SERIOUS phys/build-up should get you in the mindset that you're going to need..

Sign up with a gym or join a club ...sort of British Martial Arts thing like on link... organised after many footie matches, a bit more rare these days mind. :roll:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=V8wxwqtRgSk

If that doesn't work start wearing something like this to fool your mind into thinking "Your looking goood kid..."
Sully

Post by Sully »

[oops - wrong thread....message deleted.]

Nice shirt tho' (while I'm here) :oops:
Per Flank, Per Tank
srb23

Post by srb23 »

Thanks for all the input
Sully

Post by Sully »

Shouldn't you be out running :wink:
Per Flank, Per Tank