Share This Page:

Speech impediments.

Discussions about those units who make up the Commando’s.
Pinkacidbootson

Speech impediments.

Post by Pinkacidbootson »

Hi all,

I'm new here. Err, 21, like weight lifting & motorbikes & i'm from South London.

Been interested in reading about the army for the past few days, the Royal Marines is really appealing to me. I'm not quite sure why but it is.
Any who, i have a stutter & have done since about 4 years old. Is it worth me going for an interview? Is this seen as an instant fail?
I can talk fluently if under pressure, it's mainly just casual talking about random things. If anything, this would help my stammer.

Thanks for reading. :)
JamesSly1989

Post by JamesSly1989 »

Alright mate! Not sure about it from an AFCO point of view but go for it! Don't let something like that get in your way!

James
Pinkacidbootson

Hi,

Thanks, i'll see what they say, just wanted to know if their was an official list for things like this in the army.

:)

Btw, just out of interest, is their anywhere to read up on stuff like this in detail, wether it's a stutter of a criminal record? (that i don't have :P)
wato212

Post by wato212 »

alrite mate, ye if i was you i would go down. Cant see there been a problem mate, as long as you believe in your self it doesn't matter what other people think, what have you got to lose.
Sully

Post by Sully »

It shouldn't be a problem at all. When I was in there was a well known ML (mountain leader or 'Victorian father' to some) who had quite a pronounced stammer and his job in the Corps, apart from being an all round hard man, was largely instruction. You'd only really notice the stammer in casual conversation - just like you said.
Per Flank, Per Tank
Pinkacidbootson

Thanks a lot guys, i'll give it a shot. Like you say, won't harm to go down there.

:)
Si Capon

Post by Si Capon »

Sully wrote:It shouldn't be a problem at all. When I was in there was a well known ML (mountain leader or 'Victorian father' to some) who had quite a pronounced stammer and his job in the Corps, apart from being an all round hard man, was largely instruction. You'd only really notice the stammer in casual conversation - just like you said.
Sully. Racking what`s left of my brain for His NNNNNNNname.

Sorry, be prepaired for a lot of that as well!!!
Once....................... Always...tup, three
Doc

Post by Doc »

One of my troop bosses had a stammer, won the commando medal on his AACC, so nay bother I should think. Just dont go into sigs troop :o
Pinkacidbootson

Hehe, thanks guys. People taking the mick doesn't really bother me, i'm used to it, after a while people seem to get used to it.

I have another Q,

What are the rules regarding medication in the army? I'm able to take anti-depressants which contain a chemical which helps me to speak fluently, but are you allowed these types of drugs?

Thanks again fellas.
stuelwell

Post by stuelwell »

not sure if the corps will allowyou to take em mate, but when the going gets tough while your at ctc you might sell a few :lol: . ex Dig fast just came to mind :bad-words: :bad-words:
Ste Preece

Re: Speech impediments.

Post by Ste Preece »

Pinkacidbootson wrote:Hi all,

I'm new here. Err, 21, like weight lifting & motorbikes & i'm from South London.

Been interested in reading about the army for the past few days, the Royal Marines is really appealing to me. I'm not quite sure why but it is.
Any who, i have a stutter & have done since about 4 years old. Is it worth me going for an interview? Is this seen as an instant fail?
I can talk fluently if under pressure, it's mainly just casual talking about random things. If anything, this would help my stammer.

Thanks for reading. :)
Our boxing coach had a stammer and if anybody took the pish he used to knock their lights out. He wasn't fussy whom it was either, officer or other rank.

Mind you, that's not advice for you to take. I think the secret is learning to reduce your stammer, maybe even trying to adjust the breathing pattern you use as you speak. i.e. do you stammer more as you breath in or out or is it something to do with nerves when you have time to think about your problem. This would explain why the problem is dramatically reduced when you're under pressure.

All the very best

Steve
Steven Preece
Author of:
Amongst The Marines
Always A Marine
Wasted Resource
Pinkacidbootson

Bloody 'ell lol, that's one way of dealing with it! I'm not a violent person so usually i ignore it, or if i'm going to be around someone, they'll get used to it.

My stutter is more to do with anxiety & the actual fear before speaking, which effects me breathing pattern, so a vicious circle really. I've no problem getting my point across, it's just i stammer most talking casually.

But as above, i can take anti-anxiety pills that allow me to breath 'freely' & lower my blood pressure, so talking doesn't become a struggle, just flows out & you don't think about it as much.

It's the same sort of chemical stuff that some athlete's take before a race & stage performers before going on stage. :)

Will a recruiting officer know about if they're allowed as i'll give em a ring.

Thanks for the help guys.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Bloke goes to the doctors complaining of his stammer and the affect it has on his life.
Doctor examines him and thinks he has the answer.
"well young man, the problem seems to lie in your 12 inch penis, the weight is drawing on your lungs and causing you to stammer, I think a reduction will help!"
Man agrees and within the month the young man 's todger is under the knife and reduced to 6 inches!
On release from hospital the stammer has dissapeared, but sadly non of the lads girlfriends want to know anymore.
He calls the Doctor and explains the problem....
"I want a reversal, I'd prefer a stammer than no sex for the rest of my life"
Theres a silence from the other end of the phone....
"Hello.....HELLO.....DOCTOR!!!!!"

The Doctor answers............

"Fffffffuuuckkkkkk rrriighttt oooooofffffffff, I'mmmmm busyyyyy with the nnnnursesssssss!"

:lol:
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Take two Brufen and fark off Shadders :roll:
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Artist

Post by Artist »