Share This Page:

Cockleshell Heroes

Discussions about those units who make up the Commando’s.
Rover

Re: Cockleshell Heroes

Post by Rover »

Good to see you back JR, noticed you logged on a few days ago.
See that Chas is also around.

Regarding the photograph of Bill Sparks, it was taken in 1976 after being launched from the Narwhal. A newspaper had run a competition with the prize a day on a sub with Bill Sparks.A schoolgirl won and two members of the SBS attended.
A good day being had by all.

Rob is still around and lurks on OAMAAM.
Nothing heard from H for a long time, try the West Australia RMA site. He was an active member there.

For Lazarus. :D
http://www.royalmarinesmuseum.co.uk/

Rover
Admit nothing. Deny everything.
JR

Post by JR »

Rover!,I knew someone would come up with the date and the occasion,many thanks :D .I would think between the 'old and bold' of the forum we could cover a vast amount of subjects relating to the Royal Corps and and various people we have served with.Cheers.Aye JR :sleeping:
Who needs the World as your Oyster,When you've had the world as your cap Badge
JR

Post by JR »

:lol: (Frank) Yep you are right the place needs re-decorating with some 'Old blood' and bootneck Dits?,How you keeping, warm I hope? with the extra cold weather payment,hell I could do with a far flung commish at this time of the year,must get the 'Moke' activated.Cheers old Opps.Aye JR :wink: :wink:
Archie

Post by Archie »

Wholley wrote: We were just talking about Archie.
All good I hope :lol:

Archie
Archie.

"If there is a better way......find it!" (Thomas Alva Edison)
Chas

Post by Chas »

Nice to see you Danielchristopherlee returning. In jest; bad pennies like me suddenly turn up again.
As for the film the music was awful and I will not comment on Tom Seccomb's expletives when he watched it.
For anyone interested Tom was initially a National Service entry as was a celebrated SBS officer
renowned for his awful footdrill and peculiar footwear. (NJ).
RM., Colonial Police & Queen's Regt HSF.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Archie wrote:
All good I hope :lol:

Wait out........
There's some good news and some bad news.
which do you want first? 8)
JR

Post by JR »

:roll: Chas,Regarding Tom Seccomb you forgot to mention his teddy bear! often seen with its head poking out of the rucksack,must have been about circa 57/58 Troodos mountains Cyprus.Aye.JR :lol: :lol:
Beast
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Beast »

Dont want to hijack the thread, but good to see a few familiar faces about again. ;)
Asylum open soon! 8)
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

In our roundabout way we are
Danielchristopherlee wrote:does anyone have anything to say about the Cockleshell Heroes ?
Don't forget the mists of time cloud everyone sometime.
Only JR and owdun would have 100% recall.
I'm slinging me hook.
I just recalled that both of them know where I live :lol:
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Beast wrote: Asylum open soon! 8)
Now you've spoiled the suprise :P

I'll get me coat.
Beast
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Beast »

Already got me coat on... can't afford the heating on around here! 8)
sneaky beaky

Post by sneaky beaky »

It was nice to meet with Daniel. We had a very interesting discussion about many topics, including the raid itself and which suprisingly veered into Freemasonry.
It seems that Bordeaux is very strongly "run" by French Freemasonry and Daniel does consider it not to good.
If I remember rightly, French Freemasonry is not recognised by the Grand Lodge of England.
You may perceive that because of my remarks that I am a Freemason under the Grand Lodge of England and I do not reconise any of Daniels comments as being anything that the UGLE would recognise.
However, it was pleasure to meet Daniel and have a good chat. I hope he is still there next year when we can reconvene our discussion!!

I attended all of the commemeration ceremonies. There were four in all and all very moving.
The French make a very big deal of this Operation. It was explained very succinctly by one Deputy Mayor who said that if it hadn't been for the raid, then the British would have mounted an intensive bombing campaing against the docks and submarine pens in Bordeaux, thereby causing massive civilian casualties. The citizens of Bordeaux are very grateful that this never happenned and that is why I think that they celebrate the Frankton Operation so much after all these years.
I have to say that we were treated most hospitably by our French hosts.
And Bordeax is a lovely city.

Sneaky Beaky
Sorry for the long absence, but some of the posts are becoming a bit mundane!
Former RM of 23 years.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

How are you Sneaks?
Good to hear from you.
I trust you and yours had a happy Crimbo.

Aye,

Wholley :x-mas:
sneaky beaky

Post by sneaky beaky »

Hi Daniel and Wholley,

Yes , we have had a good Christmas. Very Quiet!! Both our offspring have been hosting their various out laws this Christmas so for the first time in about 40 years we were on our own!!
Roast turkey, in front of the telly? Quite outrageous!! Very peacefull though.

Daniel - we did find Le Scopitone and the menu did look quite good but it was shut on Saturday night!!
What restaurant does that.? We did find another place but it was quite dissapointing. I can't even remember the name of it!
And we weren't enticed by l'Entrecote either. Although the queues outside were indicative of a "good place", what you said put us off and the queus never seemed to get any shorter.
We were in the Hotel next door and saw those queus. Really put us off.

Didn't put us off Bordeaux though and we will be back there next year.
Happy New Year to everyone. I hope you have had a good Christmas and have a very good New Year.

Sneaky
Former RM of 23 years.
teach57

Post by teach57 »

teach57 wrote:I have just heard about a book that has just been published called , Cockleshell Heroes - The Final Witness. Its been on Scottish Tv news channel and I happened to see it mentioned in a big piece in the TELEGRAPH newspaper.

<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... -last.html>

Apparently the 1st Sea Lord has written a foreword for this book.

... it seems that the author has uncovered a lot of new and untold information about the Frankton Raid ( Cockleshell Heroes). After 68 years its hard to believe ... I understand each of the men are featured Scottish TV showed just the two from Glasgow but lots also about all the others. .. I will report back with details
T :onfire:
Hi

After having read the book again ( Cockleshell Heroes -The Final Witness ) and then gone through some of the posts here it seems that indeed as the author of the above book says in the book itself, about reasons for writing same, ' That there was too much inaccurate nonsense' in circulation.

It seems that very many people have much inaccurate information that they have pulled from the ether . What I find so very refreshing in the above mentioned book is the fact that the whole story is told with much new information and its all evidenced.. including the time and dates of certain men and their deaths. The two marines who were reported as drowning on a certain date, did NOT drown and the correct DOD is given and explained.

There are 7 , yes, 7 forewords!. the first by the 1st Sea lord who says many good things and what he enjoyed the most the second from a Prof.Grove ( History ) says there is no one better to write such a work and compliments he author on his 'acidulous research skills'.

As a simple reader I can honestly say that this book tells you absolutely everything to the last detail about Op. Frankton , including the men who undertook the raid and all those involved .. the French and much much more ( pics and lots of new info ).

I truly am blown away by this book. I now understand and know what it was all about and the entire true story.. what an education!

It seems that many others are as well. I commend it highly. NO LONGER will anyone have to put up with anything but the truth - pity its taken nearly 70 years for someone to do a proper job!

It also mentions about the memorial to be unveiled in France in mArch 2011! and tells you all about the legacy of these brave few men. even he first time the route was paddled in peace time.

Hope this helps and sorry for the delay in reporting back but work commitments etc etc.

BEST INFO I CAN COME UP WITH there is too much the book to mention.
hope helps