Share This Page:

Queens Silver Jubilee inspection of the Royal Marines 1977

Discussions about those units who make up the Commando’s.
Artist

Queens Silver Jubilee inspection of the Royal Marines 1977

Post by Artist »

Been having another gander into me bits n bobs and also found this little bit of history.

I was sat in the back of an FFR by the roundabout near the Nat West bank doing the Comms along the route of march. I think John Devitt and big Tom Best were sat in the front. Whilst Jock Gillies was bimbling around with his Mrs in tow making sure everything was in order ref the Comms. We were all in our brand new issue serge Blues.

Once everyone had reached the Hoe without taking a wrong turn along the way we drove up to the Citadel to park up along with the other FFR's from HQ & Sigs. Then we all went behind the stands and watched the marchpast. Bob Ferguson was stood there resplendant in his new Blues, his medals and his three good conduct badges gleaming in the sun. A young Marine came up to him and asked "Sgt can I nip away for a slash please?" Bob looked at the lad tut tutting before saying "Nay Laddy ye can stay where ye are. Just grin and bear it like all the lads on the marchpast"

The poor bloke was stood there crossing his legs and squirming like a goodun!!!! Finally Bob relented and informed the lad that he was just a Marine and not as the lad thought a Provost Sgt so best he bugger off and let it out sharpish.

Later on I found out that whilst I had been sat in the back of the FFR with me headset and mike I had managed to get green paint from the radio cage on me right leg. That morning some over zealous pillock of an officer had decided that our FFR needed a few dabs of pussers green paint inside it. Just in case the Queen wanted a gander............AS IF!! Nobody told us mind. 45 quid it cost me to buy a new set of blues. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Artist
Hyperlithe

Re: Queens Silver Jubilee inspection of the Royal Marines 19

Post by Hyperlithe »

I think you're a muppet.
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours