Share This Page:

British Marines Ambushed in Afghanistan

Discussions about those units who make up the Commando’s.
Skanza

Post by Skanza »

ITN's Bill Neely reports during a firefight in Afghanistan.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=158_1179583583

Quite a nice video of the lads! :D
[b]"Pain is weakness leaving the body"[/b]
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

Good video that. 8)

Zumbelay is where C-Company 3 Para had its first contact this time last year. Seems this spring/summer is going to be a similar story to when we were out there. :roll:
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

Is that a recent video? The only reason I ask is that I thought the Marines had finished their tour in Afghanistan.
GreyWing

Post by GreyWing »

2 hours in a firefight, where the hell is the air?

good to see HMG is providing all the resources they promised. Perhaps it's time to raid the battle of Britain museum and wheel out some spitfires and hurricane's, sure we can find someone to fly them.

Owts better than nowt!
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

GreyWing wrote:2 hours in a firefight, where the hell is the air?
Could have been down to a number of reasons.

There may have been a bigger contact elsewhere in the area and fast air would have been sent to assist that. Or there might have been fast air on station in their area but they decided to hold it off until the right moment. As you saw, the enemy were only 100 or so metres away and they were pushing troops up to assault the positions...no way your going to drop ordinance onto the enemy when friendly troops are so close.

Fast air also scares the enemy away. So Royal might have used its brain and held off the air 10 miles or so away and kept the enemy in the battle, so they were sure to kill them.

Or it could have been the case that the pilot was someone who's english wasnt that good so it took a while to talk him onto the target, or that the FAC was inexperienced and was having trouble himself talking to pilot onto the target.
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!
Skanza

Post by Skanza »

Alfa wrote:Is that a recent video? The only reason I ask is that I thought the Marines had finished their tour in Afghanistan.
I think its from around January.
[b]"Pain is weakness leaving the body"[/b]
ash2y

Post by ash2y »

Skanza wrote:
Alfa wrote:Is that a recent video? The only reason I ask is that I thought the Marines had finished their tour in Afghanistan.
I think its from around January.
Nah id say later than that, i remember watching this.
saffer

Post by saffer »

Paratrooper01 wrote: As you saw, the enemy were only 100 or so metres away and they were pushing troops up to assault the positions...no way your going to drop ordinance onto the enemy when friendly troops are so close.
In Kajaki air was dropping 500 pounders 100 meters from us, and 81mm at 200m. Sh*t my pants. One of the lads got hit by some debris from the 500 lb bomb, lucky he was wearing his cba filler not just the plates!!!
Big mark but no injury!