Share This Page:

regs or RMR?

Discussions about those units who make up the Commando’s.
scouse bloke

regs or RMR?

Post by scouse bloke »

Hi there everyone, I'm brand new to this site and hoping for help.
I'm currently in the process of joining up, but originally applied to be a clearance diver with the RN. However, after being accepted, I'm now told that I can no longer go for this trade because I am 32, and will be 33 before they can get me onto to the next diving course, so this is no longer an option (and they are not budging). Anyway, I have not (until now) considered doing anything else in the forces; but my AFCO is offering me the Royal Marine's (because of physical ability), and reckons he can get me entered in time.
My problem is now that I'm undecided because I'm thinking that I'm too old for the regs, so considering RMR (but really fancy a change of career).
I'm also married with a baby daughter, (wich does'nt help).

What advice would you lot give?
(I know I'm old enough to make my own decisions, but would appreciate any "constructive" help and advice)
Airborne Legend

Post by Airborne Legend »

Hello mate,

I wouldn't worry about it, if you're in good shape physically then you're maturity will put you a step ahead of most of younger creatures. It's just down to whether you can take being away from your family (obviously everyone's quite busy at the moment!). But I suppose if you do RMR you can always get yourself on an OP if you want to (I'm no bootneck, but I'm assuming they have the same role as the para reg reserve lads).
TT

Post by TT »

The upheaval that joining the regs will bring could compromise your home life. That is of course your decision but I'd advise caution because you get caught in a bubble at lympstone and it's hard to see how anything outside is as relevant or important as the job in hand. It's not impossible with a family or at your age but it will be very tough.

As for the aspect of training that most think the older will struggle at, the bollockings and the way you are spoken to, from the little I've seen the vain, spoilt, arrogant and immature suffer more irrespective of age.

Should you take the RMR route then you need to appreciate the demands this will place on your free time outside of work. You will need to do a lot of phys off your own back and remember that it's not paying your mortgage. This could reduce the problems at work to mere annoyances, however, so could be the best option.

Give it a try, it'll change your life but whether for better or worse depends on how the cookie crumbles . . . . . . and that's out of your control.
Chester

Post by Chester »

Go for the RMR fella, it is harder in the long run as you have to do all your phys in your own time (apart from when you are at the unit for drill nights or weekends away) but definitely the better choice at your age.

I used to be at the Birkenhead unit, they should have never moved to Liverpool in my opinion..... but that is another story 8)
[color=white].[/color]
When not awake, I am often found asleep
scouse bloke

regs or RMR?

Post by scouse bloke »

cheers everyone

Common sense tells me to go for RMR at this point, but I cant help feeling that I will maybe one day wish I had joined the regs when I had the chance, esp if I really enjoy it. The other concern is that my current job is absolute cack (I hate it). 3 and a bit years on a casual contract with no view to a full time one (bastards want everything for nothing nowadays). So as a result, my job is'nt that secure and I still have no pension. I cant exactly change jobs either because I know I would'nt get as much pay from any other employer (note that they know that as well, so they know they can take the piss).

If I do decide to go RMR, does anyone know if I can somehow get some form of pension from doing so?.
I was reading about AF pensions the other day, and noticed something about Full Time Reserve Service getting pension credits.
(I maybe wrong), and have to admit that I did'nt really understand the document.
Can anyone enlighten me?
scouse bloke

regs or RMR?

Post by scouse bloke »

I've been PM'd by "Chester" recently who has given me a lot of help so far, but i'm wondering if anyone else can contribute / confirm.

If I join RMR, (and pass out) would I possibly be able to go regs in future if I decided to do so?. (remember I'm soon to be 33yrs.)

Thank's again Chester btw
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

In short, pass phase 1 and 2 of RMR RT (around 12 to 16 months), pass both your skills courses (time period varying), put in a chit to do FTRS (full time reserve service) and after a year of that, if on your CO's authority/recomendation and a theres a gap you can fill, then you can transfer to the Regs from the RMR.

May be a few complications added in but it will depend on cirumstances.

Anyone currently serving in the RMR got any more to add? as it may have changed slightly in the 18 months since i left.

Remember at the moment the Corps is very busy with Deployments to Afghan just ending and more in the horizon, so it is fairly likely that if you come up to scatch you would have a good chance of getting on FTRS and then possibly a full transfer dependant on your performance. Your best bet though is to ring your local Det and ask away, or get to one of the presentation evenings, it should all be covered there.

dwarfy,
Chester

Post by Chester »

An RMR bod I know was 'spotted' by SB whilst 'abroad'.... Not spoke to him for a while but wheels were in motion for him. He is an all round 'good at everything' egg so it's not that suprising really
[color=white].[/color]
When not awake, I am often found asleep
scouse bloke

regs or RMR?

Post by scouse bloke »

I've got myself booked on the Liv Det presentation on 1st May, and I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully get a lot more info then.

Thank's for all the help lads :wink:
Ste Preece

Good Luck

Post by Ste Preece »

Good Luck with your RMR venture Scouse, It looks like you made a good decision that may well suit your home life too.

Don't let your age put you off mate. If your fitness is still looking good then your performance will reflect this.

All the very best

Steve
Steven Preece
Author of:
Amongst The Marines
Always A Marine
Wasted Resource
scouse bloke

Post by scouse bloke »

Hello again (its been a while)

Just letting you know that I had my PRMC the other week and passed so I'm RMR for sure.
I now know I've made the right decision and I'm loving it so far, it's one of the best moves I've ever made.

Thanks for all the help guys

(heres my stats)

3 miler - 19 mins (dead on)
Press ups - 60
Sit ups - 85 in two mins
Burpees - 34 in one min
Chins - 18
5x60mtr sprints - 48 secs
Bleep Test - 13.4
Swim Test - passed
Ab seil and confidence jump - passed

(not bad for a 33yr old bloke eh?)