Share This Page:

Important Decision

Discussions about those units who make up the Commando’s.
Illustrious

Important Decision

Post by Illustrious »

Well I suppose I'll get straight down to business, I've been looking to join the RMs for many years but towards the end of last year I moved in with my uncle who convinced me to join the British Army instead, at first I was sound with it all and so withdrew my RMs application and started an army application, but now Im back where I use to live, it's got me thinking about the RMs again.

What Im trying to ask is, is it going to piss anyone off, ie the British Army AFCO that Im withdrawing my application and will it piss off the RMs that I would like to reapply?

The reason I ask is because I've wanted to be an RM since I was a wee lil nipper.
        :)
        /|\       <--- me as a wee nipper
         |            (not to scale)
        /'\

But anyway, I've wanted to be an RM for a long time and by joining the British Army I know I would always be wondering, what if?

Some words of wisdom would really help right about now :cry:
foxtrotgolf

Post by foxtrotgolf »

I moved in with my uncle who convinced me to join the British Army instead,
Not being funny, but it is your decision! Don't be swayed by other people. If I listened to my uncle, I would be in a field hugging a tree, singing Kum bay ya. :x Bloody hippies :evil:
'Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier, or not having been at sea.'
flo

Post by flo »

agree with above. your final statement 'what if' says it all really. All you have to say to AFCO is that you feel the Army isnt suited to you. They will understand. And you tell the RM that you withdrew your original application as you were not 100% committed but now you are and wish to prusue this avenue. They would rather take someone who is 100% committed than someone who is not and by reapplying you have proven you are committed this time round.
Friendship is like peeing in your pants,
everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth!!
GreyWing

Post by GreyWing »

you'll probably find mate that the afco isn't too bothered either way and will only be too happy to get a fit lad on the course. The guy that will be interested in really making sure your 100% up for it now, is the corporal who takes your section and interviews you on the prmc. He's the one who might end up serving next to you one day, and if your honest with him he'll be fine.

Good luck.
Si Capon

Post by Si Capon »

Better to regret the things you have done
Than the things you`ve never done!

Or cut your losses and join the RAF :D
Once....................... Always...tup, three
Illustrious

Si Capon

Post by Illustrious »

you are a cheeky lil commy :P Think that the advice was cool though, so thank you. Thank you also to the others that offered advice as it has been thoroughly read and digested. Glad I can turn to you guys if needed :) Thnaks.
Ste Preece

RMs

Post by Ste Preece »

If you've wanted to be Boot Neck since you were a nipper then the answer is simple. Join the Corps, don't let someone else make the decision for you. You do what YOU want.

It sounds like its always been your childhood ambition anyway.

All the best

Steve
Steven Preece
Author of:
Amongst The Marines
Always A Marine
Wasted Resource
futurerecruit

Post by futurerecruit »

Ive been in the cadets for a lon while now and am a Sargent, so I think I know a thin or 2 about the Army and Marines in general.

I think that you should give the Army a go and if you pass the training transfer into the Marines. Then if you fail the special training that they they take you can go back to the Army.

Its called a Win Win Situation!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Si Capon

Post by Si Capon »

Can`t transfer into the marines. Have to start again as a recruit.
Once....................... Always...tup, three
Murphy

Post by Murphy »

Illustrious,

As has been said before, it's your choice so go for it. Take advice from those who have been there, but the ultimate decision is yours and yours alone.

Futurerecruit,

Apply your spell checker before you submit your post.
futurerecruit

Post by futurerecruit »

Well I know that you can transfer between the Army and the Marnies for a fact!!!! Our old nextdoor neighbour was a marine and what he didn't know about the Core wasnt worth knowing!!!!!!

Also my dad says that under new laws they have to let you transfer between all the forces now! :-?
Murphy

Post by Murphy »

What are the Marnies and the Core?
futurerecruit

Post by futurerecruit »

Sorry..... :o I meant The Marines and my old nextdoor neighbour told me that the whole of the Marines was called the Core. He was always going on about the Core this the Core that.........

I thought that if you were interested in the Marines you would have known that? :roll: :roll: :roll:
Illustrious

Post by Illustrious »

Point one, it is The Corps, if you are referring to the Royal Marines. The Core is the USMC, or United States Marine Core, if you had the knowledge you claim, then you would have known that, now cut the dross because Im sure others, along with myself, are already getting sick of it. :evil:
Murphy

Post by Murphy »

You still don't get it, do you???? :lol: :lol: :lol: