Share This Page:

Commandos, elite fighting force - salary should match title!

Discussions about those units who make up the Commando’s.
Mossy

Commandos, elite fighting force - salary should match title!

Post by Mossy »

first of all I would just like to say that I fully understand that just the pride of being a Royal Marine, being one of the best is reason enough to want to enter and serve!! I totally respect those guys out there in the Gulf and also every Royal Marine and recruit who has completed the training at Lympstone.

My debate is that after all the training to be UK's commando's, is the salary enough? It seems like a these guys go through hell. First in. Last out and they earn £14,323 per annum. This is more or less the same wage as a private in the Army!!!
British Army: World's Finest Calibre of Soldiers
Foxtricks

Post by Foxtricks »

Careful young man some of lads on here may take a little offence to
This is more or less the same wage as a private in the Army!!!

Not always they case with first in last out either but welcome to the forum and keep up the support..

Foxy...
Si Capon

Post by Si Capon »

I didn`t do it for the money.
Once....................... Always...tup, three
Mr_Kiwi

Post by Mr_Kiwi »

As Si says, a lot of people dont go in for the cash.

Its generally enough to get by on and a bit extra from what I've been told. Plus when your on deployment you are getting bonus pay.

Agreed it isnt very much for the job they are relied upon to do, but I doubt you'll find any marine who joined up for the pay cheque.
Last edited by Mr_Kiwi on Sun 28 Jan, 2007 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mossy

Re: Commandos, elite fighting force - salary should match ti

Post by Mossy »

Mossy wrote:This is more or less the same wage as a private in the Army!!!
Sorry in advance to anyone who takes offence to this. I meant in the way of training being a lot more difficult and marines seeing more combat than the Army. My apologies.
British Army: World's Finest Calibre of Soldiers
SO19

Post by SO19 »

Sorry in advance to anyone who takes offence to this. I meant in the way of training being a lot more difficult and marines seeing more combat than the Army. My apologies.
:roll:
[i]‘We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat’ - Queen Victoria, 1899[/i]
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Si Capon wrote,
I didn`t do it for the money
He did it for the ful thirty inches 8)
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Sarastro

Post by Sarastro »

Mossy, no matter what service they are in, anyone in that job will die equally well with a bullet in them.

If you want to pick a fight over pay, how about pay rises across the board for all the services. I know plenty of fat traders who earn obscene amounts of money in the City for taking the dire risk of, er, losing their overpaid job. We live in a market economy, correct? Society really places 10x more value on men who push money around than those who risk their lives to keep ours safe? If so, something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

Marines, Army, Navy, RAF; we could pay all of them a damn sight more than the pittance they get at the moment.
Mr_Kiwi

Post by Mr_Kiwi »

Sarastro wrote:Mossy, no matter what service they are in, anyone in that job will die equally well with a bullet in them.

If you want to pick a fight over pay, how about pay rises across the board for all the services. I know plenty of fat traders who earn obscene amounts of money in the City for taking the dire risk of, er, losing their overpaid job. We live in a market economy, correct? Society really places 10x more value on men who push money around than those who risk their lives to keep ours safe? If so, something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

Marines, Army, Navy, RAF; we could pay all of them a damn sight more than the pittance they get at the moment.
Agreed, but as a side thought, would you (or anyone else) think that if they did start getting a decent amount more we would start to see people joining for the wrong reasons? Like they dont really want to be there other than for the cash so they do a shite job? Any thoughts?
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

Mr_Kiwi wrote: Agreed, but as a side thought, would you (or anyone else) think that if they did start getting a decent amount more we would start to see people joining for the wrong reasons? Like they dont really want to be there other than for the cash so they do a shite job? Any thoughts?
If you joined for the wrong reason's you would almost certainly be found out fairly quickly in training, you would not hack it for the 'wrong' reasons if you see what i mean. After a fair few weeks of the hardest time of your life, no amount of money is going to keep you at CTC. When your absolutely threaders, havent slept for days and lieing in a fair amount of freezing muddy rain and gorse, you'l soon realise there are plenty of easier ways to make some money. I guess what i,m saying is you need to really really want that Green Beret and all that comes with it to pass the course....and the thought of money wont enter that equation.

Yes it may get a few extra going down, but if it were the only reason they are going then they wont be there for long.
Mr_Kiwi

Post by Mr_Kiwi »

dwarfy wrote:
Mr_Kiwi wrote: Agreed, but as a side thought, would you (or anyone else) think that if they did start getting a decent amount more we would start to see people joining for the wrong reasons? Like they dont really want to be there other than for the cash so they do a shite job? Any thoughts?
If you joined for the wrong reason's you would almost certainly be found out fairly quickly in training, you would not hack it for the 'wrong' reasons if you see what i mean. After a fair few weeks of the hardest time of your life, no amount of money is going to keep you at CTC. When your absolutely threaders, havent slept for days and lieing in a fair amount of freezing muddy rain and gorse, you'l soon realise there are plenty of easier ways to make some money. I guess what i,m saying is you need to really really want that Green Beret and all that comes with it to pass the course....and the thought of money wont enter that equation.

Yes it may get a few extra going down, but if it were the only reason they are going then they wont be there for long.
I was saying for the sake of a pay rise across the armed forces.
Si Capon

Post by Si Capon »

harry hackedoff wrote:Si Capon wrote,
I didn`t do it for the money
He did it for the ful thirty inches 8)
Discipline is the aim.....Drill is the means!!!!!!!!!!!!
Once....................... Always...tup, three
HCR

Post by HCR »

Mossy said
I meant in the way of training being a lot more difficult and marines seeing more combat than the Army. My apologies.
Totally agree mate, I think we should pay each RM £70.000 ayear while those war dodging Army lads in Afghanistan and Iraq get paid f*ck all.................YOU TW*T. :evil:

What planet are you on man, I really hope what you said is a wind up because if it isn't and you meant what you said then you really are one think dickhead.

I make no apologies for saying this one a Royal forum but in Iraq and Afghanistan its the Army who will be there the most for the obvious reasons and I dont need this from this pr*t. Ive been in some scrapes and lost friends in Iraq and Afghan I will continue to while I stay in the Army.

Im sorry to everyone else I just lost it. Its not Mossys fault, he's just an other example of modern day Britain
Grimey Vibes

Post by Grimey Vibes »

I meant in the way of training being a lot more difficult and marines seeing more combat than the Army. My apologies.
Cheers, so when i sit myself down in a platoon house or whatever my first task is to do in 8 weeks time, after just taken over from the Marines, do i not deserve more money then?
Get on "PARADE"

"You drill like a bad hip-hop artist, MC Miss A Beat"
Sandy The Guvnor

Re: Commandos, elite fighting force - salary should match ti

Post by Sandy The Guvnor »

Mossy wrote:Sorry in advance to anyone who takes offence to this. I meant in the way of training being a lot more difficult and marines seeing more combat than the Army. My apologies.

Top Tip STAY OFF THE DRUGS, what planet are you on
Things you feel like doing after being hit in the liver :
-Vomitting
-Suffocating
-Shitting yourself
-Passing out
-Crying for your mummy
-Stop taking part in any kind of violent sport.......