Share This Page:

Req: Badge ID pls

Discussions about those units who make up the Commando’s.
Red Beret

Req: Badge ID pls

Post by Red Beret »

Guys can anyone positively identify this badge for me. I have been told that its a RM badge.

And also can you tell what course/training has to be undertaken in order to acheive this badge? is it the RM commando course? also an officer from another country having this badge, is this common?

Thanks for any help!

Alfa

Post by Alfa »

It's the Commando Dagger of 3 Commando Brigade worn by all attatched units who have completed the Commando Course.

I thought anyone who had passed either the Regular/All Arms course could wear it so that would explain if any foreign officer was wearing one, however, on another thread someone said that it's only worn if you're part of 3Cdo Brigade.
Red Beret

Post by Red Beret »

Thanks for the info Alpha.

Whats the difference between the Commando Course and All Arms Commando Course. From what I read in Wiki the commando course is a 32 week long training. And the AACC is basically a 7 week test which can be taken by any UK armed forces member. and it mentions that those who complete the AACC earns the right to wear the "commando dagger" and green beret.

So therefore those who complete the AACC earns the same dagger and beret as those who undertake the 32week intense training? Or how are they different?

Thanks again :D
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

They are different in so many ways that it'd take an essay to list them!

But essentially the commando tests are all the same hence the award of the Green Beret, however the All Arms Course is for trained soldiers who will be operating in a support role ie; Arty, Engineers etc... and so is less comprehensive than the full Royal Marine course.
Foxtricks

Post by Foxtricks »

Red beret they where the same beret but with there cap badges....
Also the Green dagger badge is worn by all who work for 3 cmdo bde.... Even mincers who havent done AACC...
Hope that clears that one up..
Foxy.......
Artist

Post by Artist »

It's the badge Pongos/Matelots/Crabfats wear on their left shoulder if they have hacked the AACC. Just like the Para Wings worn on your right shoulder. OK?

Well it was 16 years ago but these days it could be an advert for a new selection of Y fronts!

Artist
going grey!

Post by going grey! »

I thought it was the latest badge of the hoodies to show they have had a tear up! :o :D
Courage is knowing what not to fear.
Red Beret

Post by Red Beret »

Thanx for the reply guys. So given the fact that the badge i posted was worn by a foreign military officer, is there anyway to tell whether he took the AACC or the full commando course?
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

Well it would have been the All Arms course as I doubt he'd have a spare 32 weeks to do the Marine recruit course, especially since he's obviously already a fully trained soldier.

Only actual Royal Marines do the full course in the same way that only member's of the Parachute Regiment undertake their complete course, anyone else from another regiment will only ever do the All Arms Course, hence the name.
Red Beret

Post by Red Beret »

Based on you guys replies and a bit of research online now I understand the AACC and the full commando course. I agree with you Alfa that its most probable that the officer undertook the AACC.

Lastly if you have to give a course in the US military thats most similar to the AACC what US course would it be? judging mostly in terms of toughness and content of course
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

Red Beret wrote:Lastly if you have to give a course in the US military thats most similar to the AACC what US course would it be? judging mostly in terms of toughness and content of course
While I won't claim to be an expert I believe the Ranger School would probably be the only similar thing really as the US Airbourne school is basically just jumps course unlike P Company.

There are two types of Ranger course Ranger Indoctrination Program which is a 4 week programme for those wanting to join the 75th Ranger Regiment upon completion they recieve the Tan beret.

Then there is the Ranger School which is basically a qualification course lasting a couple of months once the guys complete this course they recieve the Ranger Tab to wear on their shoulder but they then return to their original unit rather than joining the 75th.