Share This Page:

TRAINING

Discussions about those units who make up the Commando’s.
fodd

TRAINING

Post by fodd »

Hi everyone i was speaking to one of my old oppos the other day and he's still serving he reckons that training has softened up in the way the training teams cant thrash you unless the get permission. As they could be charged for bullying and that also some parts of training such as killer yomp on final ex i was told that the distance has been reduced due to lads wrapping and that this is all due to lack of people joining the corps if someone could awnser my question i would appreciate it thanks sinbad.
ex nod was diagnosed with chronic compartment syndrome rejoining eventually.

currently in australia as im traveling the world before i rejoin the marines.

One Man One Life One Chance.
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

The 20 Miler on p-coy has been binned.

Depot has become soft aswell, less thrashings etc etc.

Its not on :evil:
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!
Shrek The Royal

Post by Shrek The Royal »

Its a sad fact that training is becoming diluted, as the Generations grow softer.However the goal posts are just as difficult to reach for these softer generations.You are right , the Nods are so protected now its a joke, a lot of this stems from interfearing civies.

Been cold, wet and tired (a lot) never bothered me or those that went befor me.It just helps build up your resilance and character to adverse conditions. Allthough civies have some say as to what is deemed acceptable, they also have to listen to what we have to say, to that end we dont remove everything. :wink:
fodd

Post by fodd »

i agree with you shrek. It will be a culture shock when some of these lads go from lympstone to a unit as my mate was saying ive even heard all the grots have been done up like san carlos
ex nod was diagnosed with chronic compartment syndrome rejoining eventually.

currently in australia as im traveling the world before i rejoin the marines.

One Man One Life One Chance.
CrouchmasterT

Post by CrouchmasterT »

I cant say wethere trainings softened up over the years because i've only just done it, but the thing about training teams needing permission to thrash you , i think is bollocks becuase we got thrashed on exercises, ranges etc and im sure it was just there and then because we pissed the training team off.

As for being cold ,wet and tired i always found affected people in different ways, everyone has there strengths, weaknesses, likes and dislikes. but the weather is one thing the pc/H&S brigade cant interfer with.

It pisses me off all this talk of training getting easier, although i think thats a personal problem i've got to deal with.

Paratrooper, sorry to hear that they've scrapped a p coy test, it takes away something from your regiment, at least royal hasn't changed its commando tests for at least 40 years.

sorry about the spelling, i'm shiters.
Only 3% of applicants to the Royal Marines earn the right to wear the green beret.
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

Training needs to be as hard as they can make it. Especially so for the RM and Para reg simply because of the nature of our units. We need to be pushed harder and further to know that we can do it, so when the time comes to us being tested (e.g. the hardships of war time) we know we can fight to the best of our abilities even in these hard conditions.

The fact is we still need to be able to tab 10/20/30 miles after an attack and then stay switched on to fight again at the other end. I think that half of the new recruits couldnt do this, even myself perhaps.

Stand farking by if i earn my 2 stripes and head up to depot to train recruits! :P
COMMANDO

Post by COMMANDO »

I unfortunatley have to agree that trainning is becoming a little softer. Due to health and saftey tying trainning teams hands together and the self righteous tossers coming out of school these days.
Not to mention if a nod complains about getting a slap you are in a world of shit.
I was unfortunate enough on remeberance day to come across some new fledglings being totally disrespectfull to thier Sgt and our brave ww2 vets whilst totally wrecked, the corps has changed and some if it for the worse . The last of the older generation deal with it old fashioned but the corps will soon loose these people aswell .
The ship is starting to sink lets hope thier is not another Falklands cause i believe some , not all would falter in these conditions due to lack of character building through trainning.
I feel sad , going for a beer :cry:
KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY!
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

I think every generation will say that the next generation has it easier than they did. That is human nature.
I will absolutely never tolerate bullying in any form and despite what Steve Preece has to say, systematic bullying is not endemic in the Royal Marines. There is no need for it during Recruit Training or later when a man goes to a Unit. Certain aspects may look like bullying to an outsider though, and training has definately been "modified" accordingly. It is also true that today`s kids are not as fit as my generation. Cultural changes are responsible for that. I never spent days sat in front of an X-Box, but would play all day in bombed-out houses, played rugby for the skool was a keen cross country runner and general all round athlete. Never ate fast food shite, just bread and dripping :P
Doesn`t matter a toss. And here`s the rub, the teams doing PRC selection at CTC have always picked the best of whatever was available. I`ve seen lads passed for duty that made me flinch "You can`t be serious" I said. They`ll be sorted by the Units was the response. The old numbers game. And I saw the results of this when they hit the Rifle Coys. Gravs with no idea and no mates, on three months notice to leave. Dead-heads who had no place in my Corps.
I remember a time, early eighties, when the H&S mob started to poke their beaks into CTC. Questions were asked in the House and Royal was on the back foot for a while.
Being a Member of a Recruit Troop is summat we all remember for ever. It`s a one off. Most of us can recount every single day. 8)
Now, imagine you are part of a Training Team :-? After a while, your interest might tend to slip or you might just chuck summat in to wind the rest of the Team up. Use your imagination. :roll: One of the standard punishments for having dirty mess tins during an inspection in the field is to have said mess bin thrown into a large gorse bush where the offender has to crawl in to retrieve it afterwards. SOPs. We`ve all seen it done. Well, a certain Corporal took that sort of thing a bit farther and anyone with a dirty tooth-brush was whipped on the tongue with a nettle and whenever the whole Troop deserved a group punishment, they would make the Declaration, "I have no live rounds, empty cylinders etc etc and can I have a dead leg please Corporal" Those lads will larf their testicles off whenever two or three of them get together and remember that :P And that would have been an end to it, except little Johnny wrote about it to his mummy in a "look how weird this place is but oi luvs it" sort of way. Mummy was not best pleased. She wrote to local MP asking if such methods of "torture" were common in the RM. The rest is history. Within two weeks, Nods were wearing orange shoulder tabs "Don`t shout at me, I`m new" No Nods were allowed out on the common without a safety tent, ffs and the path of enlightenment has had to adapt ever since. Can`t call `em Nods now ffs :roll: I`ve recently had the past WO II in charge of Training Wing at CTC as a house guest and yes, things are different now. Why would they be the same? The pool from which Recruits are drawn is a different pool.
Be certain, though, that the end result is still the best. Of course the initial entry is not as fit as we were, so what? They don`t have to be fit do they? Fitness can be trained. Standards of Excellance can be trained. That never-give-up spark of Bootneck Spirit cannot be trained if it it isn`t there in the first place.
If you think the Gravs today are not the best, are not as good as you/we were, then best you try saying so, face to face, to the lads who served in Sierra Leonne, or Boz and Koz, or Gulf One and Two, because hey guess what?
You`ll be wearing a new arsehole where your head used to be. 8)

All of the above applys, to a much lesser extent, to the Toms of Para Reg. :roll: wahoo mahomet :roll:
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
wato212

Post by wato212 »

I totally agree, Everything there is spot on. If there was one thing in training that pissed me off, it was Health and safty, what a joke. You carn't use smoke now without having a WHT. :evil:

Wato.
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Heyup Watters 8) Do you know what is meant by the term "Tactical Use Of Smoke" :-?
H&S would have a fit if I told you here, :o
What Coy are you with btw?(it`ll be mike) :wink:
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
beardo

Post by beardo »

Its bollocks, maybe they are saying that because of H+S and PC, but dartmoor is just as cold, 30 miles is still 30 miles, and getting thrashed on ex is still a thrashing
wato212

Post by wato212 »

Ye good guest, Iam in 'M' coy. As for the smoke that is gen, I also remember that we had to were gloves. Just incase we burnt are little hands, bless. :evil:

Wato.
rc

Post by rc »

Hi all,

This is my first post on Military Forums however I have been reading the information for a while now. Some of you will recognise my initials from MF&T.
I attended Lympstone back in February for our RMR phase 1 course, on Baptist Run the temprature was farkin freezing, 12 midnight we're stood in 3 ranks waiting to jump in the pool for wet and dry..... sh*ting ourselves, when the TO tells us "As a consequence of an incident earlier this week involving a recruit going down with hypothermia, we can't make you do wet and dry because of the weather - it's a decision made over our heads and if I had my way you'd all be in the pool right now" or words to that effect. We weren't complaining it was very cold, well below freezing.
My point is I thought we would be in the pool no matter how cold it was - seen as we're training to be Royal Marines.
Did this ever happen to any of recruits from past generations ?

Rich.
going grey!

TRAINING

Post by going grey! »

My friend's grandson is in the Royal Green Jackets, and he told me that they have cleaner's come in and do the billet's/accomodation room's!
I don't know how true that is, but if it is i'm amazed! :o
Courage is knowing what not to fear.
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

So do we. A very nice lady comes and cleans our block every day.

Saves us doing it, when we have more important things to do...like soldiering :)