Share This Page:

Limbang Raid

Discussions about those units who make up the Commando’s.
JR

Limbang Raid

Post by JR »

8) Watch and learn!
The program 'Return to Limbang' is being shown on Sky History Channel 2000hrs 12 December 2005,Its well worth watching and a tribute to 'L' company 42 Commando RM the dawn of 12th December 1962.

Apparently Sky digital had it down to the Paras doing the raid?.once again watch and learn :wink: :wink: Aye jr
Who needs the World as your Oyster,When you've had the world as your cap Badge
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Jim, don’t knock`em mate. Them Paras are reet gud blorks :P :roll:
A cracker of a prog and no messbins. Top bollocks job all round on the production and nice to see Jules and Jeremy making a few bob as TV Presenter types. Last time I saw Jules, he was wasting my time outside a snowhole as he forgot the basic"don`t keep men standing around in the arctic" routine. :x Not that I dripped about this to him of course :roll:
I showed this down here to certain Members who were either there at the time, or involved in the follow-up hunt for Salim, and they gave us the heads up. Including your old turkey snurgler Jim 8) Beyond minor criticism of some of the touchy feely bits( which I thought helped the prog) they loved it. They were all back there, as young lads, swapping dits about crotch rot and slappers in JB or kai tyes in Singers. It was bloody marvellous Jim 8)
I urge you all to watch this prog, or get someone to video it for you.
Big picture stuff was happening all over the Globe and the Limbang episode never gets a mention. Brave lads died. Royal did what he always does. He adapted, he improvised and he overcame. He did the business.
It`s about time those brave lads were recognised, outside the community, for what they did that day.

We Will Remember Them

Jim, let`s hope this is the first of many progs from the Britain`s Small Wars gang, hey mate :wink:

Gentlemen please be upstanding and charge your glasses, the toast is,

To those Members who fell in Limbang.
:drinking:
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Artist

Post by Artist »

Have just watched it. As per Normal Royal Understated what he did.

By heck it makes you proud!!!!

Artist
harry hackedoff

Ste, it filled a big gap in my knowledge, we`re all familiar with the famous painting and this production really brought it to life. Once again, well done the team 8)
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Dogwatch

Post by Dogwatch »

Like you H, had seen the painting but didnt know the full story, a true Royal Marine Commando Op.
You were only supposed to blow the Bloody Doors Off....
Rotary Booty

Post by Rotary Booty »

An excellent production, and although I was serving in 40 Cdo in Burma Camp Malaya at the time, I too didn't know the full story until watching this programme.

The only bit that didn't quite sit right with me though was all the hand-shaking, hugging etc with the main rebel who caused the whole saga. He got 11 years in prison! An ex-policeman, he started the Limbang rebellion, and fired the Bren that killed a number of 'L' Company. He was also planning to hang all the hostages the day that 'L' Coy went in.

I'm sure I couldn't have been so forgiving.

Rotary
Artist

Post by Artist »

Rotars

Pound to a penny Geordie beat the living crap out of the little git two seconds after the cameras stopped rollling! :D

Artist
Mike

Post by Mike »

Excellent programme, and like most here I learnt a lot.

But it made me think..... The end game, was it all worth it ? Some of us here were caught up in the Aden/Radfan confrontation, I ask myself..... for what reason? In the end we walked out of both conflicts without actually gaining anything, except for the loss of some fine young men.
And as history has a habit of repeating its self...We will do the same in the Gulf

Will Politicians EVER learn... I fear not, least not until the serve and taste the smell of battle

Aye
Mike
The Honourable Lord Mike of Loch Borralan
.........................Because I AM Worth IT..xxxx.......Never Mistake Motion for Action
Artist

Post by Artist »

The thing is Mike we did it and the Corp is still doing it.

I caught the tailend of the Radfan in the early Seventies. Wernt much fun but we did it without dripping and asking the question WHY? which seems to be the norm for the young lads who want to join these days.

Education is fine but the "Way of the PC warrior" really needs to be stopped ASAP.

As it is when I watched the Limbang programme the MK4 watched it with me and afterwards looked at me in a different light as I knew Geordie. Not as a friend but as a Sgt Major. And by heck he didnt suffer fools gladly. One really good soldier in all respects.

Artist
harry hackedoff

The copy I had was a pre-release copy and the funniest thing was whenever the Brummie spoke, he was subtitled :P Larf :roll:

Anyhoo, Leigh Dowel has sent a phot of himself at the Limbang Memorial.
I`ll leave it to Leigh to explain the rig :o
Leigh Dowell

The rig

Post by Leigh Dowell »

We had been in the Far East for months and stopped off at Goa on the way and just went a bit native, you know you want one.
Needless to say as I'm on my way back to CTC soon I'm sat at my computer in the buff and finding it surprisingly hard to type with a roll mat on each arm :wink:
Whilst I may disagree with what you say, I will fight to the death for your right to say it.
Voltaire
Mike

Re: The rig

Post by Mike »

Leigh Dowell wrote:I'm sat at my computer in the buff and finding it surprisingly hard to type with a roll mat on each arm :wink:

Shyte..... I now know why I read this forum..... Leigh your last had me rolling on the floor.... There is no other beast like a Bootneck for humour..... Thanks for starting my day off with a laff. :D

Aye
Mike
The Honourable Lord Mike of Loch Borralan
.........................Because I AM Worth IT..xxxx.......Never Mistake Motion for Action
harry hackedoff

Good job Pusser`s letting you back in mate. You`d never make a living as a lady-boy :P
Where did you get those trousers ffs :P Certainly a new twist on the traditional Booty run ashore rig :roll:
Doc

Post by Doc »

Thats really nice that is 8)
Hostage_Negotiator

Post by Hostage_Negotiator »

Tis innit!...really nice! :wink:
"When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."