Share This Page:

Questions about the SAS

Discussions about Special Forces.
Rollo

Questions about the SAS

Post by Rollo »

Hey,

First of all, you might find grammar mistakes, I'm not English.
I really like the SAS, but I have some questions, are there pilots in the SAS? is the SAS an unsafe job (I mean, is the probability of being killed high?)? Is there height requirement (I don't think so, given that the height of Bob Consiglio)? Are contact lens/glasses/laser surgery eyes allowed? Do I have to be British to join the army? (I read yes on the net, but when I went in UK, a woman who knew SAS told me no...)

At last, I would like to know what shoes does the SAS wear, I guess they have jungle shoes, mountain shoes... haven't they? I was wondering if someone know what shoesare these SAS soldiers wearing? http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=sas+ir ... 0,s:0,i:74

Thank you, cheers
Tab

Re: Questions about the SAS

Post by Tab »

The casualty rate in the SAS is no higher than any other branch of front line infantry regiments.
Rollo

Post by Rollo »

I know that, but to be honest, I don't really know how dangerous are the other front line infantry regiments... Moreover, I heard that more US military were killed...

What about the other questions?

Thanks
Ares-God of War

Post by Ares-God of War »

Rollo wrote:Hey,

First of all, you might find grammar mistakes, I'm not English.
I really like the SAS, but I have some questions, are there pilots in the SAS? is the SAS an unsafe job (I mean, is the probability of being killed high?)? Is there height requirement (I don't think so, given that the height of Bob Consiglio)? Are contact lens/glasses/laser surgery eyes allowed? Do I have to be British to join the army? (I read yes on the net, but when I went in UK, a woman who knew SAS told me no...)

At last, I would like to know what shoes does the SAS wear, I guess they have jungle shoes, mountain shoes... haven't they? I was wondering if someone know what shoesare these SAS soldiers wearing? http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=sas+ir ... 0,s:0,i:74

Thank you, cheers
1 No height requirements, if youre tall enough for the regulars then youre ok for the SAS.
2 No piolts in the SAS
3 SAS wear whatever boots they want
4 glasses no, others dont know
5 Dont have to be british, often commonwealth ie South Africa, Fiji, Ghana, Kenya etc.

And who is this Woman who knows the SAS? 8) 8)

Ares
Team work is essential, it gives them other people to shoot at. - Unknown

If at first you don't succeed, call in an airstrike. - Unknown

Friendly Fire, isn't - Unknown
Rollo

Post by Rollo »

First of all, thank you for your answer! Can the SAS choose what weapon/shoes/jacket... they want to wear? What about in the picture I sent, what shoes do the SAS soldiers (at the right and left) wear?
The fact is I'm neither British nor part of commonwealth, I'm French. So if I intend to join the UK army, will I have to first be a UK citizen? Is French an useful language for the army?

Well, I know that I am still dreaming a little, that I don't see the true side of SF and army, I'm trying to watch documentaries, and I'm currently reading Bravo Two Zero... But is being in the army - soldier or pilot - unsafe? I know it's not very safe, but I just don't wanna die at 25yo
Secondly, what about the medical inspection?

- Do I have to have all my earing? not 1% loss?
- If I ever sprained/broke my ankle, will they not accept me?
- Are allergy allowed? If some are, tell me please those which aren't.

If you have other medical requirements, please tell me :-)

At last, I know the main difference between SAS and SBS but ... SAS has a Boat Squadron, so why the SBS? If you have other informations about the SBS I'll take it.
Is it possible to try the selection if you're a pilot? (I think so since I read it in Bravo Two Zero, but the things might have changed).

PS : She was my host family when I went to England during this summer :)

Thank you, sincerely.
Tab

Post by Tab »

If you are worried about your safety don't join the SAS or the Army just stay at school till you grow up
Rollo

Post by Rollo »

Tab wrote:If you are worried about your safety don't join the SAS or the Army just stay at school till you grow up
Wrong, some men in the army are out of danger : engineers, musicians... :wink:
timex

Post by timex »

No jobs in the Army (or any Forces) are 100% safe, SF is slightly more dangerouss due to the inherent risks in both training and on Ops. Pilot training is as safe as can be made but accidents do happen.

A second language is always a help, injuries are ok so long as you have fully recovered, Allergies can be a problem.
Rover

Post by Rover »

At last, I know the main difference between SAS and SBS but ... SAS has a Boat Squadron, so why the SBS? If you have other informations about the SBS I'll take it.
Rollo,

The SAS is junior to the SBS. The SBS being formed before the SAS.
Much can be found refering the the boat house at Hereford, mainly about what colour it is.
I could ask what the point is about the SAS even having a boat troop! :D

As you are French would not the Legion be a first choice?

Rover
Admit nothing. Deny everything.
Rollo

Post by Rollo »

Thank you for your answers,
timex wrote: Allergies can be a problem.
I am allergic to caterpillars, is it a problem?
Rover wrote:Rollo,

The SAS is junior to the SBS. The SBS being formed before the SAS.
Much can be found refering the the boat house at Hereford, mainly about what colour it is.
I could ask what the point is about the SAS even having a boat troop! :D

As you are French would not the Legion be a first choice?

Rover
- But the SBS selection is the SAS selection plus amphibious training, so the selection is slightly different... Then why the SBS seems more trained, more difficult according to people's point of view?
- I would like to enter in the army as a pilot :)
Rover

Post by Rover »

Only if you get stuck under the tracks. :D

Rover
Admit nothing. Deny everything.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

:lol:
Ares-God of War

Rover wrote:
Only if you get stuck under the tracks. :D

Rover

Ha Ha :lol: :roll:

Ares

Ares-God of War

You say you want to be a pilot, but also want to be SAS/SBS who dont fly helicopters/planes so why do you want to be a pilot? it would cost thousands of £s to train to be a pilot, then further £s to train as SF. money spent in training you as a pilot would be wasted.

Ares

Rollo

Post by Rollo »

Ares-God of War wrote:You say you want to be a pilot, but also want to be SAS/SBS who dont fly helicopters/planes so why do you want to be a pilot? it would cost thousands of £s to train to be a pilot, then further £s to train as SF. money spent in training you as a pilot would be wasted.

Ares
Yes, but the thing is I'm not really sure in what I want to go, but I still have time to think about it... thank you all for your answers, if just someone could tell me the boots that the SAS soldiers (right and left) are wearing : http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=sas+ir ... x=64&ty=65

Sincerely.