Share This Page:

Camping in the Brecon Beacons (Pen-Y-Fan)

Discussions about Special Forces.
Flintstone

Camping in the Brecon Beacons (Pen-Y-Fan)

Post by Flintstone »

Hi guys, just trying to get familiar with the terrain of the BB in the coming months. Planning a couple of weeks down there in early Jan, just wondered if anyone had any suggestions as to where I can camp?

Cheers.
123A

Re: Camping in the Brecon Beacons (Pen-Y-Fan)

Post by 123A »

Flintstone;

Am sure others can add to this, but based on my experience I'd suggest:

There are plenty of wild camping options:
- Down by the Upper Neuadd reservoir (North or South) in the horseshoe (grid SN028190) (getting there by car is a bit of a ball ache however) - good shelter and water.
- Between Corn Du and the path down to Storey Arms (around grid SN998215) - good water sources and flat-ish ground. My favourite.
- West of the A470 in the valley behind Fan Fawr on Ystradfellte reservoir (grid SN945172) - can be damp ground.

For campsites:
- Grawen (www.walescaravanandcamping.com) CF48 2HS. Haven't stayed there but looks ok and know others that have. About 4miles South of Brecon on the A470.
- National Show Caves (www.showcaves.co.uk) SA9 1GJ. SW of Brecon on the A4067 towards Ystradgynlais, just past the Cray Res and down into the valley a bit. Believe it or not they have a great campsite, with first class facilities and a good pub just across the road (to the North). By car, travelling North from the campsite, you can short-cut back over to the Storey Arms car park - turn RIGHT half way up the Cray Res (unnamed road). Keep going and turn RIGHT on to the A4215 then RIGHT (South) on the the A470. Can't recommend that campsite enough, I nearly always stay here, unless am out on the hills. Also, if you've been out for a few days, then it's a treat to have a pub-meal, few pints and a hot shower. As a bonus, last time I was there they were rearranging the "ancient stone circle" with a JCB, nice!

In terms of running / walking routes, there are all the obvious routes around the Pen y Fan horseshoe. You can get the obvious stuff off Google. Failing that Brecon Tourist Information have some options. Failing that, if you head West / North-West out of the Show Caves out towards Black Mountain (not to be confused with THE Black Mountains), then there is plenty of misery to be had and you're unlikely to see anyone, potentially for days! The middle bit between the A470 and A4067 is dull, wouldn't bother with it mate.

Lastly, maps:
1:50k Landranger 160 - ok
1:25k Explorer OL12 - great detail, but if you're moving fast or running you'll be forever re-folding it.
1:40k Harvey Map (can't remember which one) - absolutely the best choice. Used for fell running and orienteering all the time. Takes a bit of getting used to tho with the "strange" scale.

If you can find someone who did the Karrimor back in the early 2000's (pre-OMM days) then they may have an old 1:40k map that was issued to them for the race that you could borrow. Unfortunately I've just had a clear out and chucked mine out, otherwise you could have had one.

Good luck and don't get lost or broken. Let us know how you get on. Watch for the weather too - don't know if it's clear of snow / ice up there yet.