Share This Page:

SAS unform and badges

Discussions about Special Forces.
Squirrel93

SAS unform and badges

Post by Squirrel93 »

Hi! I wonder if anyone could provide pictures or a description of what kind of badges a Special Air Service troop wears.

I have understood they wear pretty much the same outfit as other soldiers, aside from the beige beret, but what about badges and insignias?

Do they wear the Union Jack? If so, where? Their rank symbol? Where? A parachute emblem? If so, where?
Also, do they only wear the winged SAS dagger on the beret or do they have one on the uniform too?

Sorry, lots of questions. Hope someone can answer. :D
Ares-God of War

Re: SAS unform and badges

Post by Ares-God of War »

Hi there, I believe that SAS soldiers do not wear ranks on uniforms but they have normal british ranks. On a TV episode about the NZ SAS the Sargent wore a gold colour metal winged dagger capbadge on their beige beret, but i dont know about the British SAS.I dont Know about the rest,Sorry :(

Of what i understand is that each SAS member chooses what he wears e.g uniform, weapon etc. I believe, but i may be wrong, that SAS do not wear any badges when "in the field" and when they are doing "black Ops".

Hope it Helps :)

Ares
Team work is essential, it gives them other people to shoot at. - Unknown

If at first you don't succeed, call in an airstrike. - Unknown

Friendly Fire, isn't - Unknown
Squirrel93

Post by Squirrel93 »

Oh, thanks for the info. :D

(I'm playing airsoft with a few friends, who impersonate US Army Rangers, and I want to look like an SAS.)

So if I want to wear a rank badge, should it be on the left or right shoulder? And the flag?

EDIT: Sorry, I just got to know that the SAS don't actually wear rank symbols, and that the flag is usually attached to the plate carrier. Thanks!
tucker217

Post by tucker217 »

Squirrel93 wrote:Oh, thanks for the info. :D

(I'm playing airsoft with a few friends, who impersonate US Army Rangers, and I want to look like an SAS.)

So if I want to wear a rank badge, should it be on the left or right shoulder? And the flag?

EDIT: Sorry, I just got to know that the SAS don't actually wear rank symbols, and that the flag is usually attached to the plate carrier. Thanks!
Dont because then you may get some stick for being a Walt, Just wear some Tropical DPM with a SAS Smock or Para Smock, Crap hat or Beanie hat then you look Brit SF without the aggro.
Squirrel93

Post by Squirrel93 »

tucker217 wrote:
Squirrel93 wrote:Oh, thanks for the info. :D

Dont because then you may get some stick for being a Walt, Just wear some Tropical DPM with a SAS Smock or Para Smock, Crap hat or Beanie hat then you look Brit SF without the aggro.
Thanks, I'll probably do that. :D
Mr Maroon

Post by Mr Maroon »

British SAS guys have the sandy beret with the sewn cap badge instead of the Australian golden badge on the beret. SAS guys wear what they like but avoid having too many badges most SAS guys just have blood type, Union Jack sometimes wings. Unlike US guys who have more badges than Bear Grylls's favourite boy scout.
Tab

Post by Tab »

When on operations they seem to wear what ever suits them and the same goes for their packs, weapons seem to be similar as when you watch them there are so many variations on what each man carries.
Millar

Post by Millar »

I believe when on home soil they follow the same rules as regular soldiers, with that being said they display there ranks accordingly, and follow all the same regulations as everyone else, so if you wan't to play SAS, wear the typical British Army Uniform but with a SAS beret.

When out on operations, they will try to avoid displaying the fact that they are SAS, so they will wear either mock regiment berets or hiking gear, the weapons of choice differ depending on there roles and personal taste.
Tab

Post by Tab »

How many people ever see a SAS soldier in Uniform as they are not allowed to become well known while they are serving soldiers in this unit. Do you ever see them parading as a unit or find one in uniform down the pub and if you do it is probably a Walter