Share This Page:

SAS Info please.

General discussions on joining & training within Special Forces.
HighHopes

SAS Info please.

Post by HighHopes »

Hi guys.

I've been wanting to join the Army for around 3 years now and have never really done anything to increase my chances. It was only recently that I decided I don't want to just be a regular soldier, I want to be elite, preferably SAS. I'm only 16 so I have at least a few years to prepare myself which is where I need some advice on. I'm a little overweight I guess at maybe 14 Stone. Providing I exercise daily or every other day at the Gym how long should I give myself before I even start to think about applying to be in the SAS? But I guess before I do that, I haven't came actually came across a site for the SAS, how would I go about trying to apply for the SAS?

Thanks,
Tom.
EH_BURNETT

Re: SAS Info please.

Post by EH_BURNETT »

You cant just join up and apply for the SAS. You need at least 3 years of service before you can even be considered for selection, so any fitness issues should be gone by then. I'd recomend trying to get into a 'elite' unit e.g The Para's as this is a more difficult infantry training regime. Just generaly try and excel and show your officers what you can do!
HighHopes

Post by HighHopes »

Oh wow I see, it's really that elite huh? :P. I did originally want to be a Royal Marine Commando but as my username states I have very high hopes for myself and I felt like I wanted to be even more elite. Would you have any recommendations on how long I should give myself to firstly get to an appropriate weight then to get fit enough for the RMC?
EchoOne

Post by EchoOne »

Depends on how much you want it, and how hard you work at it. Do the research about fitness requirements for RMC and when you feel you can pass the selection, go for it.

Train hard, fight easy
Ares-God of War

Post by Ares-God of War »

hay HH

i dont know if its regular or TA you want, but heres a link for TA special Forces.
http://www.army.mod.uk/specialforces/10551.aspx

to join the regular SAS you do need to be in the regular military first ( unless you transfer from TA SAS). the initial regiment you choose doesnt make that much difference in my opinion . you can be PARAs, RMC, Engineers, signals or any other reg and get in. so heres a link to see what reg you like to join if you havent seen it before.
http://www.army.mod.uk/rolefinder/

Ares
Team work is essential, it gives them other people to shoot at. - Unknown

If at first you don't succeed, call in an airstrike. - Unknown

Friendly Fire, isn't - Unknown
HighHopes

Post by HighHopes »

Hey man.
Thanks for the links.
I'd want to be regular. And I know that the SAS Training program is unbelievably tough and only a handful out of the people start make it and although I'm not going to dismiss the Army, I figure if I can get into the RMC first and after 3 years of continuous training and keeping my Fitness at top levels, and including the duties I'd do whilst being a RMC I'd hopefully have the required Fitness to be in the SAS. But who knows, I may not even make it into the RMC or even the Army. Maybe I'm getting way ahead of myself. And who knows, if I do get in I may even want to continue being a RMC. And I'm not sure if I'd have to actually leave the RMC in order to apply for the SAS but, let's say I do become a Commando, I'm not sure if I'd really want to jeopardize that just to apply for something else, better or not. Overall though I guess it's just the Title that attracts me so much to the SAS, "World's most Elite Force" etc.

Thanks for your advice though,
always appreciated.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Take a look here.

http://prmc.royalnavy.mod.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=12

Special Forces come under the UKSF.
As such starts as a joint selection, once passed for the SAS it will take a further few months to qualify for the SBS.

Rover
Admit nothing. Deny everything.
HighHopes

Post by HighHopes »

Hi guys. Thanks so much for that link, signed up there and received so much information and so many people really wanting to help me. Although I did want to become a RMC, I ultimately wan't to be in The SAS. And since over 50 of The SAS are made up of PARAs, and I know that ultimately it's up to me, but in terms of joining the SAS would you guys recommend I become a para instead of commando? Because I was figuring, if I become a RMC I may as well join The SBS, would make a little more sense seeing as being a RMC you learn more about water/general maritime etc.

Can anybody relate to PARA training and if it's any easier/harder than RMC training?
Thanks guys.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Can anybody relate to PARA training and if it's any easier/harder than RMC training?
They are equal.
The major difference being in the mental approach, to understand that you will need to have experience of both.

As mentioned UKSF is tri service that is anyone can attempt selection. Currently members of the Para Regt tend to go for the SAS, whilst those from the RMC tend to go SB.

You will also find Para qualified Royal Marines yet no maritime qualified Para's.

It is your choice at the end which you choose.
Remember whichever it is, as far as you are concerned it will be the best.

Rover
Admit nothing. Deny everything.
HighHopes

Post by HighHopes »

Oh I see.

Well I've started exercising etc. And I can say I honestly feel great. I think I'm gonna join The Paras first instead though to be honest. Been speaking to online careers advisers and they told me about P Coy etc. Plus, I know one can always train, but I don't think I'll ever be able to compete with RMC Fitness standards. So I'm not entirely sure how I'll ever become Fit enough to join The SAS. Who knows though, we'll see in time. And I know I say all this, and I know Para Training is still hard, but I Figure it's got to be at least a little easier Than RMC Training. I could probably do most of The RMC Training, given time of course. And I know my Fitness will dramatically improve whilst being in RMC Training, however it's The 30 Mile yomp across Dartmore that scares me. And I really wouldn't want to spend 6-8 Months Training only to Fail.

Is There anything you/anybody else could tell me about The Paras? Like, Training etc.
Ares-God of War

Post by Ares-God of War »

In my opinion it doesnt matter which unit you join to go on to SAS/SBS training. its about the individual.

Ares
Team work is essential, it gives them other people to shoot at. - Unknown

If at first you don't succeed, call in an airstrike. - Unknown

Friendly Fire, isn't - Unknown
MTB

Post by MTB »

Apart from soldier fitness (not gym fit) and your body type (and there are a few types) being able to cope with the selection process.You have to be a professional soldier (and all that this implies)so on and so forth. When all of the above has been achieved you can still fail selection.

At the end of the day if you are not a team fit you do not get in PERIOD.
Spordos

Post by Spordos »

Hi. Clearly you seem to be driven to achieving this dream. I hope for your sakes that you can. I would advise you visit this website if you are looking for info about units:
http://www.eliteukforces.info/special-a ... selection/
I have found this page very helpful in terms of preparation for selection, and the actual selection process itself:
https://h2g2.com/entry/A12936765

I too hope to join the SAS one day, I hope that this post was helpful.