Share This Page:

SBS SWIMMING

General discussions on joining & training within Special Forces.
i'm NOT a wasteman

SBS SWIMMING

Post by i'm NOT a wasteman »

guys i want to join the SBS after the royal marines

how good at swimming do you have to be?

'(by the way don't just say 'you won't get in the SBS' because i have heard this before i just want an answer and if i do get in i do)

cheers
Wholley

Re: SBS SWIMMING

Post by Wholley »

You will have to be a very strong swimmer and not just in the pool.
Would you like to tell us a little about yourself?
i'm NOT a wasteman

Wholley wrote:You will have to be a very strong swimmer and not just in the pool.
Would you like to tell us a little about yourself?
ok i'm 13 my name is gabriel and i have wanted to be in the marines all my life and have only recently heard about the SBS i know i'm setting my standads high and barly any people get in but i'm desperate to be in the SBS

as for swimming i'm not great i can do it resonably fast with alright techniques i do as much swimming as i can during my school week (about 3 hours to improve but is pool swimming)

thanks for the reply and for not swearing at me like i have seen in other posts!
Rover

Post by Rover »

Hello Gabriel,

One step at a time, first of all get through the training for the Royal Marines.
Have a browse through this site to see what that entails.

http://prmc.royalnavy.mod.uk/

Having a target to aim for is good but there is no rush and your aims may change as you grow older.
My aims change and I am older. :D

Good luck in whatever you do.

Rover
Admit nothing. Deny everything.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Welcome aboard Gabriel.
Firstly no-one here is going to cuss at you for asking questions.
As Rover has said it is good to have aims and objectives mine have changed over the years and I'm certain yours will too.Some say my aim just got poorer and my objectives blurred by cynicism :(
My suggestion is to read all you can on the history of the Corp.and maybe see if there is a Royal Marine Cadet unit close to you.You are still a little young to join as a cadet but it will do no harm to check them out.I think you are the youngest member we have had here but have no fear,I was a"Boy Sailor"at fifteen.
Here is some reading material regarding your objective.Pay some attention to Swimmer Canoeist(SC3)
http://www.specialboatservice.co.uk/sbs-selection.php
Good luck and just ask anything you want.
i'm NOT a wasteman

i haven't done all that much research on the history of the corp but i have done a lot on the training of both and i'm not sure if i should but am starting to prepare myself pshyically (is that a wise thing to do?)
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

i'm NOT a wasteman wrote: and i'm not sure if i should but am starting to prepare myself pshyically (is that a wise thing to do?)
Take it easy,your still growing and could do yourself permanent damage if you push too hard at this point.No heavy weights,no excessive running,just keep to a healthy diet and normal PT.You might ask your gym teacher for some extra help.BTW don't waste your money on the CD's in my last post,I intended it just so you could get an idea of whats expected of an SBS candidate.
i'm NOT a wasteman

thanks i won't push too hard just a run every week

at what age would you say can i start uping the tempo?
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Just keep a reasonable tempo so you are not always tired or aching.
You have another five years before before you go through PRMC.In the meantime take some time to enjoy your teenage years.Don't accept pain as weakness leaving the body,that will happen later when you get to RTwhere you will have a very nice,well spoken corporal PTI to look after your every need and desire NOT!!!! :D
Seriously,have a look through some of the posts made on this site and a few others about life in the Military and how it will change you and your family and loved ones.

OI! You 'Orrible,Bitter and Twisted Lot.Anyone have something to add to help this poor misguided person or do I have to be the"Sea Daddy"again?
I'm off to me scratcher. :lol:
i'm NOT a wasteman

ok thanks

and i will get better at swimming simply form practising right?

2 weeks ago i couldn't dive at all and now i can do a running dive (kind of ) :)

wholley - were you in the forces?
timex

Post by timex »

As Wholley has mentioned you are still growing so be very careful how you go about getting fit. Ask around your school and see if their are any swimming/running clubs you could join, they will probably have a fairly well structured training programme for all ages. Continue to play sport, football, etc or anything else that keeps you fit and healthy.
i'm NOT a wasteman

ok i do play alot of sport and am currently training my sister to beat her bully in the bleep test!!!! so will be running when she does but not rowing on the machine i have the psyical fitness in the royal marines book by sean lerwill which is great and teaching me alot

(also any tips on the training of my sister i would be grateful for)
i'm NOT a wasteman

i was also thinking of joining a triathlon club as i'm sure that would help a lot but i go to a private school and finish late and have saturday school so i couldn't really attend many training sessions
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

I knew there was a reason I couldn't get some satisfactory zee's pushed up.
Gabriel,your beginning to worry me son.Just drown your sister unless she's bigger than you ,then you have your parents undivided attention.
Answer this for me.
You attend a"Private school"?
Surely in England they are known as"Public Schools"
Up late for a thirteen year old too.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

i'm NOT a wasteman wrote:
wholley - were you in the forces?
Me?.....Me?
Naaaa never.You got the wrong person. Honest.

Phwew,that was close,but I think I got away with it 8)

You ain't seen me right?