Share This Page:

History of depression, SAS.

General discussions on joining & training within Special Forces.
base285

History of depression, SAS.

Post by base285 »

Hello. I am 30 years old, been in the RF for 4 years. (NZ). I am looking to do selection for SF here soon. I have a history of depression, and was on medication for about 5 years since i was 19, obviously that was that , no further issues. Does anybody have any idea whether this medical history will affect my chances of getting in to the SF? Anybody out there with a similar story? Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks.
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

'It is a demonic spirit telling you a lie'....
what sort of mumbo jumbo is that?? your not a witch doctor are you?
A very unorthodox explanation of depression that I have ever heard!
'Every man an Emperor'
Med1

Post by Med1 »

In short no, you will not meet the required medical standards. Apologies to be the bearer of bad news.
In Arduis Fidelis
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

Med1 wrote:In short no, you will not meet the required medical standards. Apologies to be the bearer of bad news.
Short sweet and unfortunatly for you, HE IS VERY RIGHT.

Not half as interesting as Demonic spirits and lies and stuff
Courage which goes against military expediency is stupidity, or, if it is insisted upon by a commander, irresponsibility."

"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad."

Erwin Rommel (Desert Fox)
base285

Post by base285 »

So as far as the psych board over there are concerned theres no way? even if ive been good as gold for years? I think ill just go hard till they tell me to stop.

Angels and demons sounds pretty out there mate, but cheers for the reply none the less. More likely the substance abuse at a young age Id say!

It Didnt really last long, and looking back on it, i should have ridden it out, instead of going to the Doc. Now ive got this nasty history!
duckndive

Re:

Post by duckndive »

Danielchristopherlee wrote:There are a lot of SF servicemen who commit suicide.
Check out SAS survival secrets on youtube and hear for yourself.
If you are suffering from depression then I would not suggest trying for SF.
Most probably if you are suffering from depression then you have family issues or childhood trauma issues and medication is not the answer. The truth is that depression is spiritual in nature. It is a demonic spirit telling you a lie. It has got access to you either through emotional trauma or through generational curses in your family line.
I suggest the reading of the book by Derek Prince entitled Blessing or Curse, you can choose ! http://www.dpmuk.com
Hope this helps.

Daniel C. Lee
Bordeaux, France

What about the chemical in balance in the brain that can cause depression?Lack of Seratonin being produced?
scotti1985

Re: History of depression, SAS.

Post by scotti1985 »

go for it mate, get the forms filled in, I had past problems and there was no issue when it came to how long ago it was. you could even get a private assessment from a private psychiatrist.

regards
Tab

Post by Tab »

At the right price you can get those trick cyclist to say any thing
Mr Maroon

Post by Mr Maroon »

Don't join SF with Depression because if you have any weaknesses mentally you're not SF material. The Reason why so many SAS servicemen commit suicide is because they can't take life outside the service because it's so hard to adapt to a regular lifestyle.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

You seem to be constantly answering posts that are a year or more old.
The Parachute Regiment obviously has no sight test.
That is of course if you are actually a Para.

No offense intended.