Share This Page:

Just a question, slag if you want.

General discussions on joining & training within Special Forces.
_Mark_

Just a question, slag if you want.

Post by _Mark_ »

I've searched google, but when you type sas anywhere in the search, you get so much b0ll0cks, it's hard to find what you are looking for.

I would like to know if possible the length of the longest endurance march in selection, and the weight carried in the bergen.

The only reason i ask is that i completed a 55k route over dartmoor (ivybridge to okehampton) in 14hrs, when i set off i was carrying 62lbs but 13lbs was water which reduced it to just under 50lbs by the end (- any food consumed).

Am i just up with the faries thinking this is a reasonable achievement, or is it in anyway at least plausible? :-?
druadan

Post by druadan »

Mate, you sound like you've got it cracked already, recommend you get your chit in for Selection now :roll:

Regardless of the weight carried and distance walked, Brecon is significantly more inhospitable than Dartmoor, and you haven't just been thrashed for a month. But yeah, you're somewhere in the vague region if it makes you feel better :wink:
_Mark_

Post by _Mark_ »

druadan wrote:Mate, you sound like you've got it cracked already, recommend you get your chit in for Selection now :roll:
Yeah wasn't expecting much of a welcoming comittee in this section,
druadan wrote:Brecon is significantly more inhospitable than Dartmoor
Thanks, that's one of the things i was looking to find out.
ofens

Post by ofens »

Don't know the answers to your questions, but that sounds like a good hike, well done.
I would imagine that doing that regularly would be great preparation for a future military career, if you're not already in.
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
gt1980

Post by gt1980 »

Not bothered if it's a crank.

it's something like 64km in 20 hours. go on you tube and watch sas down under good viewing if not informative.
BARB: PASSED; 76
BASIC SKILLS: PASSED
Interview 1: PASSED 04/03/09
Interview 2: waiting
Wanting to join the Royal Artillery as Gunner UAV Operator.
druadan

Post by druadan »

Shockingly the last sentence of my post was actually serious; you're not a million miles away in terms of distance and weight. Wasn't meant as a slag-off, just banter :wink:
Artist

Post by Artist »

My first question Mark is: How old are you?

Are you still in your teens or your early twenties?

Because the basic facts of life are this:

Join the armed forces and you will be brought up to standard required during your training regardless of what part of the forces you choose to join.

Try to copy the training regime of a trained Royal Marine Commando. A trained Para or any trained serviceman/woman in point of fact, then you are on a hiding to nothing in all honesty.

Far to many times people have tried to emulate the people who have been there and got the 'T shirt' prior to them joining up and far to many times they bugger themselves up and end up in the local Hospital with various ailments ranging from slipped discs to broken arms and legs. All because they thought they knew better than the people who wore the 'T Shirt'.

You want want to turn to at your local hospital with a buggered up back, buggered knees or a buggered legs then crack on with your "training!" by all means (enjoy your job at something you never wanted to do, but had to do due to your injury)

When you apply to join the forces you will be given a BIBLE telling you what you need to do prior to joining up. Stick to it. Don't do nought else. Crack the basic requirements your asked to do, attend the PRMC of whatever is required by the various elements of the armed forces you have applied to join, then pass the stuff your asked to do during that time you are with them and then wait for the letter saying you have been accepted for training in whatever part of the Armed Forces you have applied for.

If you pass all the tests then in time you will get a letter telling you when they want you to join. You will then Join Up and then you will be brought up to the standard required by whatever part of the forces you have joined.

In all truth if you go over the top prior to joining you could end up in that certain creek without a paddle.

Artist
ofens

Post by ofens »

Makes a lot of sense that. I've seen a number of lads around me start out with more muscle than needed or much fitter in certain areas that were beyond the remit of basic training, and that just fade as the training focusses on building you up from a certain level to what is required.

I guess knowing what I know now I just wish I'd played more football at school!

Never mind eh if you pass PRMC you're fit enough to start.
However fit you are it's going to start hurting at some point, and for most of us that's 5 seconds after stepping off the train! :lol:
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Daggers

Post by Daggers »

Hi there i was just wondering if this is normal stuff the army does or something abit more... im nearly 16 and going to harrogate in september 09.
I want to become a para and at present i am in the army cadets recently i done 30mile march over the sailsbury plains and done it in 8 hours, also i done 20miles over the brecons.

I guess what i want to know is if this is normal fitness or not. Thanks
B.A.R.B - 72
ADSC - Passed
Intake- Sep 06
Joining
Parachute Regiment
_Mark_

Post by _Mark_ »

Arsist wrote: Because the basic facts of life are this
Thanks for that :roll:
Artist

Post by Artist »

_Mark_ wrote:
Arsist wrote: Because the basic facts of life are this
Thanks for that :roll:
What do you want me to say then? Crack on and bugger up your body because Eeijuts with nought between their ears know better than people who have been there and done it?

I'm being polite when I say this:

There are far to many bloody knowalls who mouth off about training for the Armed Foces on this site who basically need to finish school or uni before hurling abuse at people who are only trying to help Wannerbies get it right.

Arr Feck it!

Got shin splints? Run on concrete!

Go running up a one in three hill wearing a bergan full of sand!

Do pressups with 90 kilos of weight on your back!

And then when your turned in at your local hospital with fecked up knees, a bolloxed back and shin splints try to fecking enjoy the free food and stuff whilst your dreams go out of the fecking window!!!!!!!! :evil:

Artist
_Mark_

Post by _Mark_ »

I've built up gradually with most things, i.e running and resistance training, as for the dartmoor thing, i've gone out numerous times and have been fine afterwards, (except the blisters and burgen burn).

I appreciate what you were trying to say though,
As you asked I'm 23, and waiting for a new cic para date.

I'm not trying to say 'look at me i'm going to be a para, look how fit i am'
It's more of a case that I did a trek across the moors and was told I did it in a good time.
But my perception of a good time is different to theirs, just thought i'd come on here, ask, and make my own mind up.
Artist

Post by Artist »

Mark

I'm not trying to teach you to suck eggs mate.

Your 23 and you have done this and done that. Fair enough. Good for you. But you ain't gone though the training or been to the pointed end of life. Thats all I'm saying to you.

In training you turn to when your told to. You have no say as to when you eat, sleep or in some cases shit. In other words you are at the beck and call or the bods who teach you how to be a Serviceman.

Loads of people join up, and realise that it is not for them. In my case I opted for the Royal Marine Commandos. I passed out of training with scars on my back due to the fighting order and stuff I carried in training. Plus I still have scars on my hands and legs because of the dreaded "Woodbury Rash"

The Weals on my back have gone because they were caused by friction burns whilst running with 35lbs of fighting order and a large pack on me back in the seventies. Later in a Cdo Unit I used a Bergan which still created weals and suchlike when yomping for long periods with 90 odd kilos. It was an accepted part of life as a Royal Marine.

These days most former Bootnecks/Soldiers have probs with either their knees or their backs or worse as they get older. It is one of the perks of soldiering you get in later life. Ask any former bod who spent a lot of time carrying for want of a better term their home on their back for extended periods of thier life.

I defy any bloke over fifty who's served in the forces whilst having to lug stuff on their back to say that they are 100% fit. I'm a biff and get a War Pension due to my service in my Corps.

Oh I dare say some Superman will say that I'm talking total bollox! Do I care what non-entities who need pulling though with crimbo tree have to say..........No I don't. There are far to many "Supermen" in this world as far as I'm concerned. And all talk total crap!

Artist
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

Artist what your saying does actually hit home to myself and im only 33 :cry: I too have done the carry your house on your back lark with 4Para (not so much RAF Regt as I werent in it that long) and then some. I also used to do lots of backpacking like Mark, not the ultra light carrying a bin bag round as shelter malarky but the proper 'car engine' tied to your back game. Must say although our lass appreciates the tree trunk legs, my knees admittedly are showing the signs of not being much kop especially when doing squats at the gym etc so It does just go to show! My younger cousins etc who at the time were applying for the marines asked if they should train with weight. My reply was - although I did and it never felt like it done me any harm I'd not bother, just leave plenty of gas in the tank for when you actually do the main event i.e save it for when you are there.
'Every man an Emperor'
gpw2009

Post by gpw2009 »

If I were you mucker, I wouldn't even risk getting an injury by carrying that much weight, that far. Don't get me wrong, thats pretty impressive what you have done so far, but it will mean nothing if your application is delayed or even stopped all together because you injured yourself. I have even stopped playing football as much because I don't want to have some fat idiot who can't play ruin my chance.

At the end of the day, when you start to tab in Depot, the weight starts off very light, so you don't need to put yourself through it! :wink:

Just looking out for you mate, and I think everyone on here is too! :D