Share This Page:

SFSG

General discussions on joining & training within Special Forces.
druadan

Post by druadan »

_Mark_, yes, still makes the point that you can go SFSG straight from training. As I said, don't make the mistake of thinking SFSG are SF - they are regular soldiers who do a good job of providing support for SF.
Polynikes

Post by Polynikes »

"you can go SFSG straight from training" - Yes, but it is unlikely... Although selection is run on a points system an oppo of mine was thinned out for not having enough experience. Long of the short, you have to be f@#k ninja if you've just passed out.
Roll off...?
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

Polynikes wrote:"you can go SFSG straight from training" - Yes, but it is unlikely... Although selection is run on a points system an oppo of mine was thinned out for not having enough experience. Long of the short, you have to be f@#k ninja if you've just passed out.
For a young paratrooper it is still 1 of 3 Para battalions and he can go there from training. If 45 Commando for example formed the bulk of SFSG im sure you would have nods passing out straight there.
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!
druadan

Post by druadan »

Okay, skipping back a bit...my original post was aimed tongue in cheek at Tom163's post about 'people thinking they're going SF straight away'. I merely pointed out that, as we're talking about SFSG rather than SF, it is possible in the Paras, and noted as an aside that it wasn't as straightforward in the Corps.

My point wasn't whether one was better than the other Paratrooper, merely that it is possible in the Paras. You make a valid point that should the roles be reversed (ie. the Corps supplying more manpower), we may not have the little selection we do now. Polynikes, my impression was given to me by a friend currently serving with 1 Para out here, who expressed surprise at the number of lads fresh from the box who have been drafted into the Bn.

At no point was this meant to be a pissing contest :wink:
Polynikes

Post by Polynikes »

I never took it as a contest... Apologies if it looked that way. Just saying that it appears to me that bootnecks need experience to serve in SFSG.
Roll off...?
muff

Post by muff »

Any truth in the rumours about a dedicated selection for the group being set up?
mr_man_2168

Post by mr_man_2168 »

muff wrote:Any truth in the rumours about a dedicated selection for the group being set up?
I thought the idea was that passing P Coy, Pre-para, or Commando course was enough. If they had a dedicated SFSG selection it would end up like some sort of tiered system of special forces with SFSG turning into the baby SAS with all the folk that failed selection proper :-?
AST - PASSED
Interview - 13/01/09 - PASSED
Medical - 20/01/09 - PASSED
PGAC - 13/04/09 - CANCELLED
PGAC - 27/04/09 - FAIL DUE TO INJURY
PGAC Re-Attempt - 14/09/09 - ?
TG Course - ???
muff

Post by muff »

mr_man_2168 wrote:
muff wrote:Any truth in the rumours about a dedicated selection for the group being set up?
I thought the idea was that passing P Coy, Pre-para, or Commando course was enough. If they had a dedicated SFSG selection it would end up like some sort of tiered system of special forces with SFSG turning into the baby SAS with all the folk that failed selection proper :-?
The PF's and ML's have extremly difficult selection course and they are "babies" to no one, everyone has a role to play, you could say the SRR are playing at it since their selection is physically "easier" then SAS/SBS, hell some guy's who failed PF selection went on to serve in the SAS :wink: .

I'm not talking about some monster 6 months, but maybe a week or 2 in the hills, ect the SFSG could become a feeder unit to tier 1 like the septics do it, the groups role seems to be expanding anyway from where it started, they are looking for half-SF pay as it is, and maybe new cap badges :o
ofens

Post by ofens »

On the subject of PF, is it true that they are now tri-service like SF?
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
muff

Post by muff »

ofens wrote:On the subject of PF, is it true that they are now tri-service like SF?
Yes, majority are still Para's but you get a good sprinkling now.
Mr Maroon

Re: SFSG

Post by Mr Maroon »

Only us Paras and Marines get c8's RAF Regt get stuck with L85's because they just provide perimeter security whilst we take out or capture secondary targets.
Mr Maroon

Post by Mr Maroon »

RAF Regt are impressing top brass cos my CO said "Chaps get your F****** act together you're all getting out performed by Rocks".
Millar

Post by Millar »

Old thread is old