Share This Page:

Joining the SAS

General discussions on joining & training within Special Forces.
CommandoFreak

Joining the SAS

Post by CommandoFreak »

Hello I am currently 15 years old with a dream to join the SAS, but am unsure as to the requirememts of joining the SAS. I understand that you need 4 years in the forces, i.e Army, but I have heard things that you need to be in the paras to join, is this correct?

I intend to join the army and become an infantryman and am obviously hoping to join the SAS after my 4 years service is over. I am unsure what to do and I dont want to become an infantryman and find I cant join the SAS as I have not been in the paras.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated,
Danny
dan

Post by dan »

'CommandoFreak'...but your joining the Army?? Perhaps you should change your profile name mate.

As long as you are in the Armed Forces, you can attempt SAS slection but you have to have been serving for at least 2 years I think. Why not SBS anyway, mr. Commando?
Aye, DAN
rabby

Post by rabby »

Like Dan says, join the SBS, they're cooler 8) . Anyways, I thought it was 3 years service in forces, and you don't have to be in Paras to join. The SAS is made up of 60% Paras at last count, but there are many other parent units in there from all over the Army, including Royal Green Jackets (of which millionaire "McNab" was from), Guards, Engineers and even a few Royal Marines. But you definetly DO NOT have to be a neanderthal (sorry Para :lol: ) to join.
There are 3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.
Dan UK

Post by Dan UK »

heard you get more of a chance of getting into the SAS if you join an royal artillery regiment.Not quite sure why though? Guess its something to do with combat experience.
wilson

Post by wilson »

It doesnt really matter where you come from with regard to UKSF, its very simple... If your good enough you'll get in! If your not... you wont :lol:

How much do you really want it?

Aye,
wilson
The only thing that stops your body before you pass out is your mind. Never give in!
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Hello,

In Andy McNab's book Bravo Two Zero, he talks about how a cook was on SAS selection. So, they really don't care what your background is.

However, may I suggest you set your sights on being a good regular soldier and then, once you've distinguished yourself, start thinking about joining the special forces.

Jesse
The JaCkAl

Post by The JaCkAl »

It's three years of active service to get in to the SAS. Is it true that you need to be in the Royal Marines to qualify for the extra 10 weeks SBS training at the end of SAS selection?...
[img]http://www.terravista.pt/nazare/1382/armas/tanque04.gif[/img] "Stop dreaming and start training and you could look like me" [img]http://www.mingers.com/images/menu_pics/menu_pic_weekclassic.gif[/img]
gash-hand

Post by gash-hand »

No.

Thats all changed now, sas and sbs are grouped under dsf in london. so anyone can apply to join the sbs now - not just RN and RM.

it also means rm can opt for sas selection and not have to leave first.
Nuisance
Coolbar

Post by Coolbar »

Must be cutbacks again

Was always nice to have the seperate corps
freer07

SAS

Post by freer07 »

Can Royal Marine Commandos apply for SAS selection or just SBS selection?? I've been wanting to know for ages now!!! lol :D
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

I believe you can freer.
'CommandoFreak'...but your joining the Army?? Perhaps you should change your profile name mate.
SAS are Commandos.
paddlequack

Post by paddlequack »

Not being vindictive in the slightest here.. but you're 15 and want to join the SAS, which is every kids dream at some point I imagine.
Get yourself into the Army/RM's first then after all the training try for SF selection. I'd recommend going for Para's if you want SAS as you get parachute experience which you'll certainly have to do when in SAS.
Tartan_Terrier

Post by Tartan_Terrier »

paddlequack wrote:Not being vindictive in the slightest here.. but you're 15 and want to join the SAS, which is every kids dream at some point I imagine.
No he's not, he's a one-post-wonder from four years ago, so he's at least 19 now.
paddlequack

Post by paddlequack »

lol looking at the dates, someone has bumped it up.
My bad.