Share This Page:

Joining the SAS

General discussions on joining & training within Special Forces.
Pendo

Post by Pendo »

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/1612_pr ... _sas.shtml

Try reading that.

They want him as Colonel in Chief.

I don't imagine he would go on operations.
druadan

Post by druadan »

Eveleigh, not sure as to whether your post warrants a reply as your account seems to have been binned already; however, on the Hills a few weeks ago a number of 21/23 hopefulls turned up (yes you can join direct from civvy street with no military experience, they take you all the way through training for selection, selection itself and continuation); they do the first three weeks of the Hills spread over 10 weekends, and just do test week with a regular SFC courses (but at 3.5kph). Most of them were apparently cocky bastards as they were fresh and smashing the yomps, whereas the regular lads were hanging out after 3 weeks of it already and were quite happy to trundle round at the required rate; on endurance, I believe three or so of the TA lads passed out of 20-odd, whereas only two or three regulars failed it. Granted the weather was meant to be horrendous (to the point where 2 hours were added to the time - pissing rain, freezing cold and gales all night, drizzle and pea soup all day), but it just goes to show. I'm sure if/when they're successful some of the old and bold will take those that need it down a peg or two. We heard two of them even got within 2km of the end and decided they weren't going to make it in time, so they bivvied up?! :-? And another walked off a cliff and lost his rifle?! Their admin was all over the place around camp. I know they're still essentially recruits, but 'shower of shit' comes to mind in the majority (not all) of cases.
Last edited by druadan on Thu 13 Mar, 2008 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CptStabbo

Post by CptStabbo »

druadan,

Nice post there - not sure how much is fact though. Walking off cliffs and losing rifles?

You're right that only a couple passed - it was a particularly weak course.

Cpt Stabbo.
druadan

Post by druadan »

CptStabbo,

That was not meant to offend, indeed all the TA lads I've worked with in the past (mainly in Afghan) were generally good lads. It was just on this course that many of them seemed to rub the regs up the wrong way - like I said, not all of them, but the majority. I was amazed so many failed endurance, some of them were putting in some quick times on the earlier yomps.

One lad (can't remember if he was 21 or 23) apparently took a fall, bashed himself up a bit and misplaced his weapon. Just what I heard :wink:
alex4013

Post by alex4013 »

As far as I'm aware since at least 2004 a pre-requisite for attempting selection for UKSFR is to have done the Combat Infantry Mans Course.. (TA)...

I know a couple of folk who tried straight from civvy street and were told to get CIC under their belts at least.

Problem being too much time spent teaching people how to be confident with a weapon and basic infantry skills..

Obviously if you have at least passed put of TA in last 2-3 years then they may give you a try...

Speaking to local unit is always best policy though.

Just my experience and what I've heard from people who have genuinly tried.. Take it or leave it.

Don't shoot the messenger.!!
adj125

Post by adj125 »

alex4013 wrote:As far as I'm aware since at least 2004 a pre-requisite for attempting selection for UKSFR is to have done the Combat Infantry Mans Course.. (TA).!!
This only applies to 23

21 you can join straight from civi street
Ex RE 1986 till 1997
mattbea

Spec Forces

Post by mattbea »

I've not noticed anybody wanting to be part of the newly-formed
SRR and SFSG.. They seem quite interesting on the roles they play
in UK defence, think with the Para reg it's a good standing chance with fitness levels and if you were part of the Pathfinders you would be part of the spec forces, G squadron in the SAS I once heard was for the Guards
CptStabbo

Post by CptStabbo »

I've not noticed anybody wanting to be part of the newly-formed
SRR and SFSG
That's the way it should be!

I'll get my coat.

In case this isn't a wind-up - SFSG isn't a unit unto themselves - it is made up of various elements from all three services - predominantly 1 Para with elements of RAF Reg and 3CdoRM.

Can't tell you about SRR - I'd have to kill you and your cat, etc etc.

Cheers.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

CptStabbo wrote: 3CdoRM.
Pardon? :roll:
CptStabbo

Post by CptStabbo »

You know - the weird lads with the funny green hats?

Talk about hoofin, threaders, redders and all that.

Strange bunch really.
Tartan_Terrier

Post by Tartan_Terrier »

Wholley wrote:
CptStabbo wrote: 3CdoRM.
Pardon? :roll:
3 Commando Brigade, not 3 Commando!
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Knew you'd pick up on that T_T.
Just wanted to see if El Stabbo would keep on digging 8)
CptStabbo

Post by CptStabbo »

Sorry chaps,

The word 'Brigade' means the fire service for me, and conjours up memories of filling in for those greedy. striking, part-timers in 2002!

Ah, the sounds of the Green Godess piling out of the TA centre at 2am - happy days...

/stop digging

CS
Artist

Post by Artist »

CptStabbo wrote:Sorry chaps,

The word 'Brigade' means the fire service for me, and conjours up memories of filling in for those greedy. striking, part-timers in 2002!

Ah, the sounds of the Green Godess piling out of the TA centre at 2am - happy days...

/stop digging

CS
For me it was 1977. Such fun in Brum we had.

Artist