Share This Page:

PARA Parachute Regiment Recruit Fitness Programme

All Parachute Regiment related articles, frequently asked questions and other useful information in here.
Pheonix19

Post by Pheonix19 »

You can expect to be doing the BFT within the first week of depot training, known as SCREENING WEEK. Within that week you will also do the MSFT, aiming for at least about level 10 shuttle 6, the steeplechase, an introduction to the Trainasium, BSFT (swimming), and a couple of gym sessions.

Get your run time down to at most, about 8:30 - 9:00 as the course at ITC(C) has a couple of dragging inclines, which will take a good 20-30 seconds off the time u wud have otherwise got on a completly flat course.

Good Luck!

(Note: This is referring to regular para training, and not TA para)
Last edited by Pheonix19 on Sun 15 Aug, 2004 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pain is nothing but weakness leaving the body
Boxingmad

Post by Boxingmad »

theparamancan wrote:You'll do a BFT on weekend 1 or two.

I don't mean to be offensive but 13.5 mins is very slow, you might want to miss this cadre and train like a madman and start on the next cadre in april.

I ran my 1st in 10:45 when I was a recruit and this was considered pretty bad.
No worries. I appreciate the honesty. Yes it's pretty shameful. I've got four weeks until the first training night, and then two/three weeks until wknd 1. I found a personal trainer who is ex 3 Para, and is the biz. However, as you say, it might not be enough time. I'll get his opinion on whether I'm realistically up to it. I'd rather wait longer and do well on the next cadre, than struggle on this one.
Grimey Vibes

Post by Grimey Vibes »

Boxing mad, i would wait untill the next one. There is no way you can get from being a really unfit at cardio with a time of 13.5 mins down to fit and under 9.18 in that short time. Good luck
Get on "PARADE"

"You drill like a bad hip-hop artist, MC Miss A Beat"
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

Grimey what time are you running your 1.5 mile in atm ?
Grimey Vibes

Post by Grimey Vibes »

I got out 10.01 last night. Hoping to have it down in the next 3-4 weeks to under 9.18, this is a realistic target. What you doing it in?
Get on "PARADE"

AlphA

Post by AlphA »

Same hear mate 10min dead ,like you said though i think within the next 3 - 4 weeks i should be able to have it squared away to at least 9:15

Are you running your 1.5 on a running track or have you got a run messured out in the car ? Im running it on a track and bloody hate it aswell. Its a mind F@ck going round in circles and passing the finish line 6 times :evil:
Grimey Vibes

Post by Grimey Vibes »

LOL, i do my 1.5 mile run on the field i live at the back off. I got out a OS Map and measured the distance of 1.5 miles and got it double checked just incase i made a mistake. Are you going for Para Reg AlphA if so when?

3-4 weeks we both should have our times down under 9.18 if we work hard enough. I have just intensified my runs now because i want to try to make it in the November intake for the Paras, Dec the latest.
Get on "PARADE"

AlphA

Post by AlphA »

haha yeah exactly the same hear mate, ive just upped my runs by around 2 - 3 miles and added some interval work.
Ive got my formal interview for the paras on wednesday, i spoke to the guy at the AFCO last week and asked him about the intakes for the paras he said he'll try and get me through the rest of the application process in time to have a shot at the November-December intake, providing i pass selection that is.
he also said that it should be around 3 - 4 weeks before ill be able to go to RSC in Scotland maybee a little longer, so he told me to use the time as best i can to try crack the run in under 9:18

So looks like we've both got some hard work infront of us don't it mate :P
Grimey Vibes

Post by Grimey Vibes »

Its does indeed, but its nothing compared to what we will go through at basic. If it all goes well for me getting this time down, we could be on the same intake. Good Luck for you interview on Wednesday :D
Get on "PARADE"

AlphA

Post by AlphA »

Cheers mate. Itd be good if we was on the same intake Having someone there youve spoken to before must help a little.
What was the Insight course like was it tough ?
And hows your upper body strength ?
Grimey Vibes

Post by Grimey Vibes »

Here is a review i did on about my Insight Course Experience
viewtopic.php?t=9238

Yeah it was tough, but you just had to keep going, they beasted us a lot. But its going to be harder at training, and it gave me a good insight of how hard Basic is going to be.
Get on "PARADE"

Boxingmad

Post by Boxingmad »

Now down to 12:45 from 13:30 on my BFT. I did it today on a running track in the searing heat. Bloody awful. However, delighted with my progress. Almost a minute down!!
Remember, knowledge is power, unless you forget it all.
Grimey Vibes

Post by Grimey Vibes »

Well done, i got 9.24 today, but it had a steep long hill in it, so i am pleased with how my progress has gone. Looks like i am looking at a end of this month RSC and November Intake if all goes well, which is my aim.
Get on "PARADE"

Boxingmad

Post by Boxingmad »

That's a good time, especially with a hill. You should be OK at RSC. Where will you do yours?
Remember, knowledge is power, unless you forget it all.
King_duck

sorry

Post by King_duck »

edit
Last edited by King_duck on Tue 24 Jul, 2007 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.