Share This Page:

CORPS HISTORY (and related reading)

All Royal Marines related articles, frequently asked questions and other useful information in here.
fodd

CORPS HISTORY (and related reading)

Post by fodd »

This thread is for lads that want to join the Royal Marines as Corps history is an important part of your career.

CORPS MEMORABLE DATES

23rd April - Raid on Zeebrugge 1918 - Towards the end of WW1 the 4th Royal Marine Batallion landed on the mole to enable the blocking of the entrance to the canal, which was being used by the Germans as a base for their submarines. Two victoria crosses were awarded to the Batallion and no other Battalion has since been numbered 4th.

28th April - Gallipoli 1915 The Royal Marine brigade landed on the peninsula as part of the expedition to drive up towards Constantinople during the First World War. Together with 1 RN Brigade they bore the brunt of the Turkish attacks and displayed great resolution in this major amphibious operation.

6th June - Normandy landings 1944. During the second world war, over 17,500 Royal Marines took part in the largest amphibious operation in history. They crewed most of the the minor landing craft, manned the guns in the supporting capital ships and provided an armoured support group, beach clearance and control parties and engineers.

7th June - The Battle of Belle Isle 1761. On this island off the coast of France, two battalions of Marines served with great distinction at this siege during the Seven Years War. The laurel wreath in the Corps insignia is believed to have been awarded in honour of this distinguished service.

17th June - the Battle of Bunker Hill 1775.
During the American War of Independence, after two succesful assaults up the steep hill failed to dislodge the rebels, the 1st Marines and the 47th Regiment were commited to the battle. They took the position, after which it was reported that the Marines' "unshaken steadiness was conspicous".

24th July - The capture of Gibralter 1704.
In the War of the Spanish Succession, the assault was carried out by a brigade of British and Dutch Marines, who after the surrender of the enemy succesfully held the fortress against repeated attacks. This is the only battle honour borne on the colours.

21st October - The Battle of Trafalger 1805
Was the most decisive sea fight in history, in which over 3,500 Royal Marines took part. In their traditional stations on the upper decks, they played a brave and important part in Lord Nelson's success.

28th October - The birth of the Corps 1664.
King Charles II sanctioned the formation of the first regiment formed specifically for service at sea. The yellow uniform of the Duke of York and Albany's Maritime Regiment of Foot is commemorated by the yellow ('old gold') stripe in the corps colours.

1st November - The Assault on Walcheren 1944
Royal Marines Commandos and support craft gun crews success played a gallant and leading part in clearing the entrance to the River Scheldt, thereby re-opening the port of Antwerp to allied shipping after the invasion of the continent during World War II.

14th June - The Recapture of the Falkland Islands 1982
The Royal Marines were involved in virtually every significant aspect of this successful campaign. The main landing was planned and executed by 3 Cdo Brigade, with RM detachments in many ships of the task force and with all landing craft manned by Royal Marines.

THE VICTORIA CROSS
The following Royal Marines have been awarded the highest British honour for gallantry:

Cpl John Prettyjohn RMLI - 5th Nov 1854
The Battle of Inkerman. Successfully led a section which dislodged Russian marksmen from caves.

Bombardier Thomas Wilkinson RMA - 7th Jun 1855
The Siege of Sevastopol. Repaired damage to the advanced battery's revetments under heavy fire.

Lt G D Dowell RMA - 13th Jul 1855
The Baltic. Rescued the crew of a rocket boat under intense grape and musketry fire.

Capt L S Halliday RMLI - 24th Jun 1900
The Siege of Peking. Despite being seriously wounded, led the way into burning legation buildings under heavy small arms fire.

L/Cpl W R Parker RMLI - 30th Apr 1915
Gallipoli. Displayed conspicious bravery in rescuing wounded in daylight under heavy fire.

Maj F J W Harvey RMLI (posthumous) - 31st May 1916
The Battle of Jutland. Ordered the flooding of his turrets magazines although mortally wounded, thereby saving his ship.

Maj F W Lumsden DSO RMA - 3rd Apr 1917
France. Led a party to recover six enemy guns under heavy fire.

Capt E Bamford DSO RMLI - 23rd Apr 1918
Zeebrugge. Led his company with initiative and daring in the face of great difficulties (by ballot).

Sgt N A Finch RMA - 23rd Apr 1918
Zeebrugge. Maintained continuous covering fire from the exposed foretop, although severly wounded (by ballot).

Cpl T P Hunter RM (posthumous) - 3rd Apr 1945
The Battle of Commachio. Advanced alone over open ground to save his troop by offering himself as a target.
Both the Gym and the remedial Hunter Coy at CTCRM are named after Cpl Hunter

THE CORPS COLOURS

Yellow (Old Gold) - The colour of the original tunics of the Duke of York and Albany's Maritime Regt of Foot - One part.
Green (Light Infantry Green) - Perpetuates light infantry title - One part.
Red (Drummer Red) - The infantry tunic colour until 1876 - Two parts.
Blue (Navy Blue) - The connection with the royal navy - Eight parts (four above and four below the other stripes)

THE GREEN BERET

During the early days of the Commandos, ranks continued to wear their own regimental headdress and cap badge. There were 79 different badges being worn in No. 1 Commando alone! In 1942, the officers of this commando decided that matters should be regularised and that a beret would be most practicable. The Royal Tank Regiment had worn a black beret for many years and the recently formed Parachute Regiment had chosen a maroon beret. No. 1 Commando wore a flash on their arm depiciting a green salamander going through fire, which gave a choice between green, red and yellow. Green was deemed to be most suitable. Their submission to the Chief of Combined Operations was forwarded by Lord Mountbatten to the Under-Secretary of Commandos was made in October that year. A local firm of tam-o-shanter makers in Irvine (Ayrshire) produced a beret made from some green cloth of the colour still worn today.

UNIT LANYARDS
Coloured lanyards are worn on the right shoulder of lovat/half-lovat dress by all ranks serving in the units below. These lanyards are not worn with Blues.

Maroon - Headquarters UK Amphibious Force and the Royal Marines Direcorate.
Green - Headquarters 3 Commando Brigade and the UK Landing Force Combat Support Group (UK LFCSG)
Light Blue - 40 Cdo RM
White - 42 Cdo RM
Red - 45 Cdo RM
Navy Blue -Commando logs
Old Gold and Rifle Green - 539 Assault SQ
Old Gold and Scarlet - Fleet Protection Group (FPGRM)
ex nod was diagnosed with chronic compartment syndrome rejoining eventually.

currently in australia as im traveling the world before i rejoin the marines.

One Man One Life One Chance.
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

Nice one fodd, good effort and fair play to you for taking the time to write it all out for the benefit of others.

This is everything you will need to know throughout your application to join the Royal Marines, however for those of you who want take things a little further i would reccomend 'The Royal Marines: From Sea Soldiers to a Special Force' written by Major General Julian Thompson.

This book is a precise and extremely detailed history of the Corps, and though it can be fairly heavy at times, it is very good. The copy i have was published in 2001, and im fairly sure there has been an updated version released that covers the more recent operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Dwarfy
fubar84

Post by fubar84 »

Excellent post but to be clear for anyone panicking after seeing all that, you're only likely to be asked the date the Corps (or Regiment, as it was) was created and one/two dates of Victoria Cross winners during your interviews.

It's also advisable to know the four Commando tests and the time alotted for each.

For those interested in Corps history, theres also quite a good book creativly called 'Royal Marines Commando' by John Parker. He also wrote the book 'SBS' which is quite highly rated apparently.

I bought it with 'Barefoot Soldier' in WH Smith on a buy one, get one free offer a couple of weeks ago for £7. Make sure you get the 2006 edition, not the 2004 edition!

The best book I've read so far is 'A Brief History of the Royal Marines' by the RM Museum. You're given this after passing PRMC, and I'm not sure if you can purchase it. Probably best to contact the Museum for info.

Great post Fodd,

Ben
POC: Passed 21 June '06
AIB: Passed 28 June '06
AIB round 2: Failed!
PRMC: 26 June '07: Passed
RT: 24th Sept '07
Week 27 - Final Ex after Easter leave - blargh
Mrs Bevell of the AIB is still officially the nicest lady in the world.
Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse »

fubar84 wrote:For those interested in Corps history, theres also quite a good book creativly called 'Royal Marines Commando' by John Parker. He also wrote the book 'SBS' which is quite highly rated apparently.
Parker is also the author of another book, also creatively called 'Commandos'. In it, he basically talks about the emergence of the Commandos (Army, Marine, Rangers) during WW2, 41 Independant Commando in Korea and the Royal Marines thereafter. He talks a bit about Achnacarry, raids into Norway and along 'Fortress Europe', Diep, D-Day and other Special Forces Groups of the time, such as the COPPs, the LRDG, SOE, and Lord Lovats brigades. Havent read it for a good few years, but I would still highly recommend it.

Thiers also 'The Royal Marines' by Julian Thompson, though makesure you have a notepad handy. And of course, 'the Short History of the Royal Marines' handed out at PRMCs.

Then thiers 'Reflected Glory', by Carney Lake which places emphasis on the individual Marines from Cyprus to Ireland, and the Making of a Royal Marines Commando by Nigel Foster, though its a bit outdated.
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

Parker is also the author of another book, also creatively called 'Commandos'. In it, he basically talks about the emergence of the Commandos (Army, Marine, Rangers) during WW2, 41 Independant Commando in Korea and the Royal Marines thereafter. He talks a bit about Achnacarry, raids into Norway and along 'Fortress Europe', Diep, D-Day and other Special Forces Groups of the time, such as the COPPs, the LRDG, SOE, and Lord Lovats brigades. Havent read it for a good few years, but I would still highly recommend it.
I've got both of John Parkers book's and I too would highly recommend them, they took me blood ages to get through! But then again that’s just me. They aren’t that big in size especially 'commandos'... still took me close to 3 months to get through! :o I wont even go into telling you about the royal marine commandos book :oops:

Worth it in the end though, packed full of information they are.

Stokey
tommygc

Re: CORPS HISTORY (and related reading)

Post by tommygc »

I am a newby to this site, and realise the dust on this thread will get up the nose of somebody because the other posts are a trifle old now, but I just cant find the correct thread to ask the question that I need to ask. First the background to my question - my g/g/grandfather enlisted into the Royal Marines at Chatham on 27th November 1810 and retired on completion of 21 years service on 26th November 1831. I have his attestation papers and the document where he signed for his bounty payment at the end of his service but have found nothing of what he did in between those dates. I would also like some info on what actions the Royal Marines were involved in during that 21 years period, and in which I may find my g/g/grandad was involved. I came from a family with a proud military and naval tradition of service, so knowing so much about my service ancestors is important to me and my family. Can anybody give me a list of all the actions in which the RM were involved in that time - please, it would be so much appreciated.

If I have this in the wrong thread, please tell me where I should put it, or if possible, move it for me, Thanks
Rover

Re: CORPS HISTORY (and related reading)

Post by Rover »

Tommy,

Google: 'Royal Marine actions 1810 to 1831'.

This will open a whole list of links to that area.

Rover