Share This Page:

Fat loss and muscle building

All Royal Marines related articles, frequently asked questions and other useful information in here.
ReadyEddie

Re: fat loss/muscle building

Post by ReadyEddie »

scouse bloke wrote:
rc wrote:
scouse bloke wrote:
2. "Diet is the second most important thing" :o ??
errrm....sory but wrong. Any training program (for whatever goal) relies entirely by 60% diet, and 40% training.
(Think about obese people for example, - some of them on deaths door cant even move) :-?
I don't understand what you mean by the above ?

How can you quantify the importance of diet and training as you have ?

Rich.
Generally mate, all I'm trying to say is that no amount of exercise will accomodate for the wrong diet.
Therefore, diet can't be secondary to exercise.
For your average Jo Bloggs I think you're right, because your average Jo Bloggs is mainly interested in how he looks. As a prospective Royal Marine I'm in an advanced training program (as I think most prospective bootnecks are) and, as such, can eat more or less what I want because I'm burning a serious amount of calories every day. Sure, I want to be getting plenty of protein and I have to be somewhat careful about what I eat but it certainly aint as important as the training I'm doing. Bottom line...if I wanna beat my 3 mile p.b I've got to get out and do some running, regardless of what I eat.
Spence

Post by Spence »

But don't forget the old saying - "Sh1t in equals Sh1t out". It's not just about the calories.
_chris

Re: fat loss/muscle building

Post by _chris »

scouse bloke wrote: Well.....Thanks for that mate

Obviously some people like to be a bit more PEDANTIC than others. :lol:
......but there you go :lol: :wink:
:-? Don't think my post was that pedantic, just think yours was wrong :wink: :lol:

And I don't know why I said pendantic, I wasn't even drunk! :lol:
Darren82

Re: Fat loss and muscle building

Post by Darren82 »

AJtothemax wrote:With reference to 'the second most important thing', i refer you again to my original post:
AJtothemax wrote:3) Mental Attitude – This is without a doubt, the most important aspect of this ok.
Case closed.
:-?

You could have a bloke with the most PMA ever seen but if he's 30st and can't walk up the stairs then it's not the best eh?

Proper diet, nutritional knowledge, training and rest are the only things that will help you to achieve your goals. Secondary to this is that if you're interested in looking after yourself, getting fitter / stonger than as a by product you already have a positive mental attitude.
SNiDE

Post by SNiDE »

darrenelliott849 wrote:
AJtothemax wrote:With reference to 'the second most important thing', i refer you again to my original post:
AJtothemax wrote:3) Mental Attitude – This is without a doubt, the most important aspect of this ok.
Case closed.

You could have a bloke with the most PMA ever seen but if he's 30st and can't walk up the stairs then it's not the best eh?

Proper diet, nutritional knowledge, training and rest are the only things that will help you to achieve your goals. Secondary to this is that if you're interested in looking after yourself, getting fitter / stonger than as a by product you already have a positive mental attitude.
AJ's post is aimed at those currently applying/aiming for the Royal Marines, who don't accept people that weight 30st and are extremely unlikely to be that unfit. The majority, in my experience, will already be much fitter than the average guy, and in their (the potential recruits) shoes I would agree with AJ, that positive mental attitude is the most important thing; fitness can be lossed and gained.
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

SNiDE wrote:
darrenelliott849 wrote:
Case closed.

AJ's post is aimed at those currently applying/aiming for the Royal Marines, who don't accept people that weight 30st and are extremely unlikely to be that unfit. The majority, in my experience, will already be much fitter than the average guy, and in their (the potential recruits) shoes I would agree with AJ, that positive mental attitude is the most important thing; fitness can be lossed and gained.
:-? Some people seriously dont read what the topic is and who its aimed at do they. I really cant be arsed to answer replies which totally go off topic.

Thanks SNiDE. 8)
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."
Darren82

Post by Darren82 »

Fair one the point was a tad drastic but all I was trying to get across is that there is impressionable people on here who may come to the conclusion that they can lay off the training because they have the right attitude which would be silly.

I've heard sillier things so I wouldn't be surprised by this, there's no substitute for hard graft and it wasn't a dig at your post which is actually well written and on the mark. It was though an observation of that one comment.

Darren
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

darrenelliott849 wrote:Fair one the point was a tad drastic but all I was trying to get across is that there is impressionable people on here who may come to the conclusion that they can lay off the training because they have the right attitude which would be silly.

I've heard sillier things so I wouldn't be surprised by this, there's no substitute for hard graft and it wasn't a dig at your post which is actually well written and on the mark. It was though an observation of that one comment.

Darren
No im not suggesting that at all mate, all im saying is that you can either take the information which I and others have posted and use it to your advantage if need be, or dont. If people get it wrong instead of asking questions first and then deciding for themselves then thats their own doing, nothing to do with me at all.

It's not like i dont understand your point of view, believe me i do. But its just off topic isn't it. Anyway, i appreciate the level of understanding and cooperation you've shown, its actually nice to see that on here for a change.

All the best. 8)
AJ

Darren82

Post by Darren82 »

Not a problem mate, it's hard to articulate a tone online without some people taking it the wrong way but that's my writing skills that are at fault nothing else.

Now on to the bread and butter, what do you think of burpees?

I'm talking the full 'down to front support, press up, squat thrust, JUMP!' variety

They used to be called *ahem* barstewards when I was down there and one of the best all over body movements you can do. A lot of conditioning sites I've been looking at have a league table for the 100 burpee challenge. Something similar on here could be good? Maybe start off with timings for 50?

Kit required, balls, clothes that don't mind sweat and a bucket :D
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

darrenelliott849 wrote:Not a problem mate, it's hard to articulate a tone online without some people taking it the wrong way but that's my writing skills that are at fault nothing else.

I'm talking the full 'down to front support, press up, squat thrust, JUMP!' variety

They used to be called *ahem* barstewards when I was down there and one of the best all over body movements you can do. A lot of conditioning sites I've been looking at have a league table for the 100 burpee challenge. Something similar on here could be good? Maybe start off with timings for 50?

Kit required, balls, clothes that don't mind sweat and a bucket :D
F!cking with you on that one. Used to do them at boxing, if you didnt do them right it was "AGAIN!!"........."AGAIN!".

Burpee's are naughty mate 8)
AJ

Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

darrenelliott849 wrote:
Not a problem mate, it's hard to articulate a tone online without some people taking it the wrong way but that's my writing skills that are at fault nothing else.

Kit required, balls, clothes that don't mind sweat and a bucket
F!cking with you on that one. Used to do them at boxing, if you didnt do them right it was "AGAIN!!"........."AGAIN!".

Burpee's are naughty mate
:oops: ... just thinking about these sends me into a world of pain! especially when mixed with... bag punch out drill's/ weighted shadow boxing/ those very naughty polymetric drills my boxing coach seems to love so much (clap press ups, tuck jumps, two footed leaps, jump squats etc) or even some intense skipping.

great for all round conditioning... I’m up for the challenge if all you are? :oops: :o

to make them even harder I’ve seen some pros at my gym doing them with weighted vests one AND with a medicine ball in the hands (recon I could knock out 20-30 of them :D ... then die. :( )

Stokey
Darren82

Post by Darren82 »

make... them... harder... :o

What are you trying to do! :D

To be honest plyometrics are overlooked a lot of the time, spot on for building explosive power that you need for all the sprinting you do or powering yourself over the six foot wall etc

See how much interest this draws if not the 3 of us can crack on lol

check this out for strength... http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jJuAD9bvkBg

Don't care much for the music though!
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

Thats bang on :lol:

The music could have been worse - "My dingaling, my dingaling...i want you to play with my dingaling!" :P

Get some serious Prodigy going or something. :wink:

I quite like this though http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=e0nwx7Q5j-k even though they're proper kicking into their pull-ups.
AJ

scouse bloke

Post by scouse bloke »

Darren82 wrote:make... them... harder... :o

What are you trying to do! :D

To be honest plyometrics are overlooked a lot of the time, spot on for building explosive power that you need for all the sprinting you do or powering yourself over the six foot wall etc

See how much interest this draws if not the 3 of us can crack on lol

check this out for strength... http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jJuAD9bvkBg

Don't care much for the music though!
The most I can do in a minute is 34 up to now, but just noticed where I'm going wrong.
From the vid, you extend your legs back just before your hands reach the floor.
I'll have to try that.
Will the bootneck PTI's allow that though?
Ed_Bailey87

Pilates

Post by Ed_Bailey87 »

A mate of mine whom I regard as being supreamly fit (he's an ex-pro dancer an awesome climber and a yoga instructor) has suggested pilates to me as a good way of improving core strength. Any further advice on this? Is he right? I don't know much about pilates, I've just been trying to nail the push ups, situps and pull ups along with running shitloads, but he suggested pilates would be really good for keeping the core muscles well balanced and reduce the chances of any injury.

Cheers

Ed
It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up.