Share This Page:

Fat loss and muscle building

All Royal Marines related articles, frequently asked questions and other useful information in here.
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

ADDiction wrote:Nothing wrong with ZMA AJ, it's teen friendly :D . Simple ingredients, which should provide slight gains. Plus you can pick up a month's supply for around £15, so why not give it a shot?
In all honesty mate, I don't need anymore as 'I'm a perfectly healthy person and I'm in pretty sound well being as well.

Stuff like that just doesn't interest me. I'm not saying I wouldn't take it (to correct myself now) but it just doesn't interest me. In my opinion if you have a fairly decent social life and in all, you're a healthy person, there's no need to take them. Of course, if you want to, thats all good too. Thats just my way of looking at it. 8)

I'm sure now Spence, you've worked out a filtering system in your mind so you can simply ignore that complete crap which some people might go on about and just remain blissfully ignorant to it.

Works wonders. :D

All the best everyone.
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."
Spence

Post by Spence »

You're right mate, ignorance can be bliss!

Although when someone tries to tell me that I'm uneducated (yeah that one was thrown in there too) I bite, I know I shouldn't but hey ho.
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

Going back to the point AJ made about cycling Whey, what you're view on this Spence? (not trying to prove you right/wrong or anything here AJ) Just can't find too much on the web about it and it's principals... nice to have another view on the matter.

Stokey
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

As for Idiots who thinking they know everything about training etc, I was recently informed by a lad in my year that he had some "steroids in a drink" (in his bag) Instantly I was expecting him to pull out some creatine, I actually got Strawberry flavored York Whey powder in a tub with the label peeled off... he then went on to look bemused as to why I was wetting my self with laughter and told him what it was, he promised me they where steroids and at that point I just walked away, amused for a little while.

Even better than that he sold his "Steroids in a drink" too some other lad for 10 quid (there wasn't even a full 2 lb tub there!)

Just waiting on the lad who brought it to come into school 10 times as big come Monday :roll:

Stokey

(sorry for the double posting)
Spence

Post by Spence »

Generally speaking cycling protein supplementation isn't really somthing that is "done", the only reason I might stop supplementing with a particular brand/type of protein supplement would be if I began to develop an intolerence to it. Having said that, theres nothing wrong with cycling protein supplementation, and who knows it might have an effect on some people.

Interestingly, carb cycling is used and backed up in many circles, so there might be somthing in it after all.

Like you say mate, not necessarily right or wrong, just diferent ways of working towards the same goal.
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

Thats fine Stokey, no drama. 8)

I ignore peoples crap now. I think I can really tell the difference between whats real and whats not.

I tend to stick to cycling whey, as you call it, because I just don't think its good to be putting that stuff into your body 3 times a day, 5-7 days of the week. Too much of anything is bad for you, and that is a fact. Having said that, I don't really know of any strong evidence that suggests it's that bad for you, it's something I would have to do more research into and chat to the people I know, who know about these things so I could form my own conclusion.

The reason I say 'my own conclusion' is that some people, although they know their stuff, can sometimes be a little bit biased to one side of things, while another will swear blindly the other way.
AJ

Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

Thats fine Stokey, no drama.

I ignore peoples crap now. I think I can really tell the difference between whats real and whats not.

I tend to stick to cycling whey, as you call it, because I just don't think its good to be putting that stuff into your body 3 times a day, 5-7 days of the week. Too much of anything is bad for you, and that is a fact. Having said that, I don't really know of any strong evidence that suggests it's that bad for you, it's something I would have to do more research into and chat to the people I know, who know about these things so I could form my own conclusion.

The reason I say 'my own conclusion' is that some people, although they know their stuff, can sometimes be a little bit biased to one side of things, while another will swear blindly the other way.
Fair enough, and 3 time's a day is quite a lot actually... I use it more like 1 maybe 2 times a day.

Post work out and occasionally if I’m going some where in the car and not sure if I can stop to get decent food as well.

only been using it for a few months... might have a couple of weeks off them at the end of my new tub, take some advice from you AJ :wink: :P

All the best

Stokey
jammin87

Post by jammin87 »

But then, how much is too much for you eh? :D This is one of those that is completely down to the individual I guess. As for me - pre season is on, so there'll be a lot of whey coming in. Screw the tubs, 5kg bags it is!
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

Stokey_14 wrote:3 time's a day is quite a lot actually... I use it more like 1 maybe 2 times a day.
For someone your age, yeah that is quite a bit. Someone of my age, not so much. 3 times a day will result in faster increases as you have to keep fueling your muscles for repair. Your body can only take a maximum of 50g of protien in to be used at one hour. If you can keep close or bang on that mark quite frequently, you'll soon notice the difference.

It's totally different for me at say that to you though, my muscles would grow alot faster than yours, and I have an absolute sh!t load of muscle memory I could catch up on from weight training.

The 'cycling', thats just my personal opinion, as i have pointed out. It's totally up to you whether to take it or leave it.

Depends on the individual Stokey.
AJ

ADDiction

Post by ADDiction »

I'm currently giving Dymatize Elite a shot. I don't know the recommended intake, but I peak at around 5 servings a day. Most supps try to cover themselves so I would think that exceeds their reccomendation.

I am fortunate enough to have selective hearing, so I've been tuning out to most idiots for years :D .
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

Your body can only take a maximum of 50g of protien in to be used at one hour. If you can keep close or bang on that mark quite frequently, you'll soon notice the difference.
Excuse my ignorance here but are you saying you get or try/advice getting 50 G of Protein every wakening hour :-? :o because that’s one hell of a protein intake! When adding carbs and fats in the mix you'd be looking at a near impossible amount of calories to take in, well over 15'000 cals by my reckoning.

I've almost certainly misread, or misunderstood here, would you mind clearing it up AJ :P

Much appreciated

Stokey
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

Stokey_14 wrote:
Your body can only take a maximum of 50g of protien in to be used at one hour. If you can keep close or bang on that mark quite frequently, you'll soon notice the difference.
Excuse my ignorance here but are you saying you get or try/advice getting 50 G of Protein every wakening hour :-? :o because that’s one hell of a protein intake! When adding carbs and fats in the mix you'd be looking at a near impossible amount of calories to take in, well over 15'000 cals by my reckoning.

I've almost certainly misread, or misunderstood here, would you mind clearing it up AJ :P

Much appreciated

Stokey
Sure. I was simply pointing out how much protien you can absorb and the potential you can see in that. If you wish to pack on some size, then I would recommend intaking every 2-3 hours. But I don't think you want your cv suffer due to excess mass, do you Stokey?

The more muscle you have, the harder it is to lug around and to keep fitter.
AJ

Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

No, I’m not on about packing on un-necessary muscle mass my self, just a interesting topic of convocation... I'm to into my running and boxing to be bothered about bulking up personally.

Stokey
Artist

Post by Artist »

If you want to be a Bootneck then forget bulking up as it will end in tears. Do light reps at first, get fitter than most people, crack all the tests set by your careers office, do your PRMC and pass it, join your recruit troop, earn the Green Lid, join your first unit and from then on it's your choice in all honesty.

A Commando is a bloke who to look at is average when clothed. Tis whats in his head more then anything that marks him as "Different From The Rest" really.

Artist
Ed_Bailey87

Post by Ed_Bailey87 »

A Commando is a bloke who to look at is average when clothed. Tis whats in his head more then anything that marks him as "Different From The Rest" really.
Well said!
It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up.