Share This Page:

Members' Training Schedules

All Royal Marines related articles, frequently asked questions and other useful information in here.
ash2003

Post by ash2003 »

Starting the program next week as I only wrote it this morning. This week I'm just doing stuff to get back into the swing of things.

I had to think long and hard about my decision to apply for the Marines but I just had a really good feeling about it. On my first proper interview, the navy guy that was interviewing said for me to take 6 months to get some life experience and make sure it's what I wanted, as I was at an 'impressionable' age. I went back and passed the interview, medical and PJFT and should have gone on my PRMC but things kept happening that stopped me. I aquired minor injuries to my lower back and knees which made me have to cancel 2 PRMC's. I went on a real downer and people sent me down further. The number of jobs I've been through is ridiculous. I've always been the odd one out with my group of friends because I was adventurous. I'd rather go on a 20 mile trek across the clifftops than sit about doing nothing. The last time I went on a trek this taxi driver thought I was in the armed forces. Now I've had some time to enjoy civvy life, I've had my fun but realised there's nothing left for me here and I'm ready to focus everything onto getting into the RM.

Sorry for the life story but thought I better explain myself :wink:

Ash
Skiffle

Post by Skiffle »

Cosmo,

On your circuits, you would be best choosing exercise from the circuit options I posted in responding to Booker. Choose nine or ten exercise and work your circuit based on them. Currently your program shows you doing a set number of Press-ups/ Sit-ups with two extra dumbbell exercise.

This leaves you just working on a set level of Press-up and sit-up performance while only really gaining from the Dumbbell exercises.

Drop the dumbbells and select several circuit exercises that will give you a much more rounded level of fitness and strength. On the odd circuit you can add the dumbbells for extra resistance.

I would also recommend separating running and circuits to separate training session. That way you can concentrate on each aspect of training.

With your sprint training on Saturdays, that is a good session and will payoff in your training. However it will benefit more if you alternate between a Hill sprint session one week and a doing a different distance (6 x 400mtr or 10 x 100mtr) as apposed to keeping the session the same every time.

Your running also appears to be a repetitive 3 mile effort (which would make you good at running 3 miles at effort, but not much else). By all means do some as a 3 mile effort, but do a 5-6 mile light run and even break up your 3 mile run into 1mile warm up, 1.5 mile hard run (x2 =3 mile) and 1 mile warm down.

The easy runs will get you used to a basic level of running, and the hard runs along with your Saturday interval training will also benefit your running.

In doing this your Program would be better as:

Monday:
Circuit

Tuesday:
Hard run up to 4/5 miles (could be 3mile hard run inc' 1 mile warm up and warm down)

Wednesday:
Circuit

Thursday:
Rest or Swim

Friday:
Circuit or Light run 5/6 miles.

Saturday:
Sprints or Interval running session (personal choice)

Sunday:
Rest

***EACH WEEK INCREASE RUN DISTANCE, INCREASE PRESS-UPS, INCREASE SITUPS, INCREASE SQUATS*** Increase the running as and when it feels comfortable to do so, Increasing the press-ups/ sit-ups should not be necessary now as they are part of a circuit

***EACH 4 WEEKS ADD A FEW POUNDS ONTO THE DUMBBELLS & SHOULDER PRESSES*** You will not need to increase Dumbbell weight as it would only be used for extra resistance in some circuit exercises.

...and believe it or not, it actually works for me..ALOT! Let us know how well you get on with this program
You can add swimming in to your program at any time you wish (in place of one of the other sessions) but for the sort of swimming required it is best to build a reasonable basic standard of swimming. This can be done as part of a relaxing rest day swim.

On your ankle front, build up gently in changing to this program. Do light runs and build up into the circuits for the first few weeks to ensure your ankle is O.K. and able to take the efforts required during training. This means letting your ankle dictate the effort you put into a session till you are happy with your ankle. 8)
Chaos, Disorder, Destruction.....My work here is done!

"The man who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd. The man who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been. --- Alan Ashley Pitt"

Why can't you accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue.
Skiffle

Post by Skiffle »

GJimbo,
GJimbo wrote:Can this programme be improved (most likely) and what is your advice on improving it
It most certainly can, and here it is:
Every day I do as many press ups, sits ups and pulls as possible, throughout the day.

I typically do 3 sets of maximum push ups, sit ups and pull ups, around 4-5 times throughout the day.
As with GJimbo and Booker, Drop this sort of training and adopt a more all round circuit containing 9 or 10 exercises (see Bookers Program). You will benefit more from this. The current way you are training is very likely to constantly overload your body, not allow it to recover, often leave you feeling lethargic and also lead to a high risk of injuries from over training.
Yes, I use gym equipment for training, but I do set the treadmill at 2-5% incline, depending on how I feel that day. I may also begin adding 1KM to my runs every two weeks, but only once I am capable of doing 5KM in under 20 Min's.

You would be best dropping the use of the CV equipment, especially/ mainly the treadmill. While the equipment you are using is good for CV work (Cycle/ Rowing), you are better off actually doing the work to improve.

Treadmills have been very conducive to injuries (usually the shins) due to the belt tending to pull your feet under while running (when you run slower than the belt), and then your foot trying to push the belt under you when you run to fast for the belt.

Due to this you are often floating between the to states on the belt, which stress's the shins more than anything. From personal experience the distance the Treadmills show is often different to what you could actually run on the ground. I have been on treadmills were I have done a session and having done great amounts of Athletic training for track events, I know what sort of pace I am doing.

I have run paces where I know I would have covered 400mtrs in 60 secs, yet Treadmills have often shown a lesser distance. If you are using this to work out when you have done 5KM in under 20min's, then you will be waiting a while.

If you want to improve your running, then get out there and run. Times and distances will be more accurate, and training closer to the types of training you would continue on once passed PRMC. Interval training out on Grass/ Road or Track, will also be more beneficial in training.

Every two weeks, I add 5 min to aerobic ex cerises, 1 lap to football field and hill sprints.

I would suggest this is a more favorable program:
Sun: Rest

Mon: Running- interval training (hill sprints or distance or time based intervals)

Tue: Circuit

Wed: Light run 6-7 miles

Thur:Rest, light Cycle or light swim

Fri: Circuit

Sat:Hard run 3-4 miles hard (or broken up as intervals) or Hard circuit. Every 3rd or 4th week:Max effort triathlon circuit including cycling, rowing (on CV equip) and running (not on treadmill)

This program will be better as it is not repetitive, the circuits will better help towards getting fit for the PRMC.

The program removes the risks of the treadmill, but allow your self to revisit your Triathlon circuit to help maintain your CV level. the option on Sunday also allows you to work harder at general body fitness by doing to back to back days of circuits, or work hard at your running.

By removing your 3 set's of maximum Press-ups/ Sit-ups and pull-ups you will not be wearing your body down so much. And will make stronger gains from the circuits. The circuits will also help areas of general fitness you have neglected.

"The man who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd. The man who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been. --- Alan Ashley Pitt"

Why can't you accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue.
Skiffle

Post by Skiffle »

Ash2003,

How old are you? and How long till you expect to do a PRMC?

Some basic info to help my assessment. 8)

Skiffle

Post by Skiffle »

CIRCUITS

As promised, on the following posts you will find details of circuits you can perform. These circuits have been carefully designed to prepare you properly for training or PRMC at CTCRM.

Alternate between circuits in your training to give you as much variety as possible. If you have particular exercises you wish to perform then add them to the circuit. DO NOT substitute exercises. Preferably perform your own exercises at some other time and beware of exercises which may be harmful or cause injury.

READ the detail for each circuit carefully. Practice it in slow time to ensure you know how it will run.

Try and perform your circuits in a warm airy room with plenty of light. Music with a strong beat can often help you perform slightly better. Try it if you wish.

Ensure you warm up thoroughly before you begin your circuit. Walk round and perform a couple of repetitions of each exercise in the correct sequence to finish your warm up and fix the circuit in your mind. Make sure you perform a proper warm down and stretch at the end of the circuit.

Circuit training is designed to stress the heart and lungs particularly. You should be in some discomfort for the latter part of the circuit. If you experience sharp pain however, STOP AT ONCE. If the pain persists then consult your family doctor.

Benw

Post by Benw »

WooHoo! I am looking forward to trying these. Lets have them Skiffle.

Thanks
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... 'F*ck, what a trip!'

Start Basic 24th May
Skiffle

Post by Skiffle »

CIRCUIT 1

Equipment required: Nil

Use two lines on a football/rugby pitch or two markers such as lamp-posts. The ends of your garden are another option.

The distance between the lines should be 20-25 meters.

Start on the first line. Sprint out to the second line and perform the first exercise then sprint back to the start line for the next exercise. Alternatively sprint out to the first line then back before repeating the exercise. Repeat this for each exercise in turn.

Exercises:

Press-ups
Sit-ups
Squat thrusts
Wide arm Press-ups
Crunchies
Bur-pees
Close arm Press-ups
V-sits
Squats.

Perform 10x repetitions of each exercise.

When all nine exercises have been performed, walk round slowly for one minute.

Repeat the whole sequence twice more (3x total).

As you get fitter, increase the number of repetitions (10x, 12x 15x 20x exercise). 8)

Skiffle

Post by Skiffle »

CIRCUIT 2

Equipment required:

Pull-up bar (if available)
Bench/ Seat (even a park bench)

Exercises:

Press-ups
Sit-ups
Squat thrusts
Triceps dips (off Bench)
Dorsal raise
Squats
Pull-ups
Hand to knee Sit-ups (slide hands up legs to knees also known as half sits)
Bur-pees
Shuttle sprints (15-20 meters)

Each exercise should be performed for a set time. Initially this should be 15 seconds. A 10 second break should be taken before moving on to the next exercise.

When you have worked through each exercise once take a 1 minute break before the next set.

Repeat the circuit twice more.

As with all circuits work as hard and as fast as you can.

As you get fitter, increase the exercise time gradually and reduce the resting time gradually. You should not exercise for more than 30 seconds and not rest for less than 5 seconds. If you feel you have reached a strong stage do the second time round the circuit for 45 seconds as an overload circuit. But do not do this on every circuit, and only do it if you have reached a suitable level of fitness.8)

Skiffle

Post by Skiffle »

CIRCUIT 3

Equipment required:

Pull-up bar (if available)
Bench/ Seat (even a park bench)

Exercises:

Press-ups
Sit-ups
Squat thrusts
Triceps dips (off Bench)
Dorsal raise
Squats
Pull-ups
Hand to knee Sit-ups (slide hands up legs to knees also known as half sits)
Bur-pees
Shuttle sprints (15-20 meters)

Each exercise should be performed for certain time. Allow a rest of half that time and repeat the exercise. Repeat until three sets of the first exercise have been done. Allow a half period of rest and move on to the next exercise. Repeat until all exercises have been performed three times each.

As with all circuits work as hard and as fast as you can.

As you get fitter, increase the exercise time gradually. You should not exercise for more than 30 seconds. If you feel you have reached a strong stage do the second time of each exercise for 45 seconds as an overload exercise. But do not do this on every circuit, and only do it if you have reached a suitable level of fitness.

More circuits may be posted later. 8)

Skiffle

Post by Skiffle »

SWIMMING

You should warm up before you start the swim session. Swimmers should concentrate on Breaststroke. This is the stroke you will be required to do on PRMC and during any tests. Non-swimmers and weak swimmers should take swimming lessons to help improve.

While breast stroke is the main stroke required, when in a pool do some laps in other strokes to help aid an all round swimming ability.

Practice all your strokes in a relaxed session.

Swimming can also be used to maintain a high standard of fitness when injured, and can aid recovery from injuries.

Skiffle

Post by Skiffle »

Hill Sprints/ Grid Sprints

Perform a through warm-up covering in particular the legs. Build up to the sprinting session by some half and three-quarter pace running over the course. Find a section of slope at an angle of approximately 30 degrees and about 20-60max in length. The following should be performed:

A: Sprint up hill and jog back. Repeat five times with no rest. On completion take two minutes rest.

B:Sprint up and down hill. Take thirty seconds rest. Repeat five times then take two minutes rest.

C:Sprint up hill perform ten repetitions of an exercise and jog back down. Repeat performing performing eight repetitions of the same exercise, then six, four and finally two. Do not rest during these sprints. On completion take two minutes rest. Exercises to be chosen: Press-ups, Sit-ups or Bur-pees.

D: Repeat C using a different exercise.

E: Repeat A

On completion perform a full warm down, making sure the legs are fully stretched.

Progress through each level as fitness improves. If you struggle, reduce to three repetitions of each sprint and then progress to four. For the first few times skip section C till you are ready to perform.

iareglenn

Post by iareglenn »

for circuits 2 and three can you do a number of repetitions instead of a set time and also i cant do the sprints because i do my circuits in my bedroom does this matter?
iareglenn

Post by iareglenn »

Mon:3.5 mile run and a strength/endurance circuit

Tues:rugby training

Wed:Rest or substitute a good swim (to relax)

Thurs:Circuit Or hill sprints with an exercise at the bottom of the hill

Fri:3.5 mile run

Sat:rest

Sun:rugby match

This is the training plan you gave me skiffle was just wondering if i could also do things like press ups, sit ups, pull ups in the morning?
Skiffle

Post by Skiffle »

iareglenn wrote:for circuits 2 and three can you do a number of repetitions instead of a set time and also i cant do the sprints because i do my circuits in my bedroom does this matter?
You could adapt the circuits to do them based on repetitions instead of time. But I would recommend trying to do them as is.

The sprints, if you don't have the space, then do a different exercise instead.

However I would ask 'Do you have to do them in your room?

Work them into your time and training as best you can.

Skiffle

Post by Skiffle »

iareglenn wrote:This is the training plan you gave me skiffle was just wondering if i could also do things like press ups, sit ups, pull ups in the morning?
As you have 6-8 months before PRMC, you would be best working the program hard for two months then introduce some Press-ups/ Sit-ups and Pull-ups in the morning. To begin with say three times a week in the mornings. But do not do them to Max, your main training is to be done in the sessions of the program.

Can you (or anyone else who follows one of my revised programs) please post an update of how you get on (and if you passed PRMC) by following the program. 8)