Share This Page:

Members' Training Schedules

All Royal Marines related articles, frequently asked questions and other useful information in here.
darrenrugby18

Post by darrenrugby18 »

KJ-Edwards wrote:Thanks JCAP3.

ali_hire, the 3miler and bleep test are conducted on different days now, as said in a diary post on here. (not GIPPERS one).

Even if the bleep test shall happen to be on the same day, i will still max out the 3miler, as i did do wen i done the two one after another myself :D
I will just give it my all whatever the case.

KJ

Whos diary is that? It's the 3 miler and gym test 1 on the first day, and Assault course, bottom field and gym test 2 on day 2. Anyone who recently done a PRMC give their experience?
CTCRM - 935 Troop
KJ-Edwards

Post by KJ-Edwards »

The diary was by "DaveB". Not sure if its changed by then.
Yeah, could anyone whos done the PRMC lately tell us about it.

Thanks.

KJ
darrenrugby18

Post by darrenrugby18 »

Yeah daveb's diary is an old one, he did his prmc then got injured, its over a year old i think.
CTCRM - 935 Troop
KJ-Edwards

Post by KJ-Edwards »

oh ok...

Could anyone who has taken a recent PRMC tell us what order the activities are in? It would help alot.:D

Thanks alot

KJ...
KJ-Edwards

Post by KJ-Edwards »

Good luck on your PRMC darrenrugby18

KJ
Interview: Passed
Medical: Passed
PJFT: Passed
PRMC: 21st November 06'
----------------------------------
PB on 3 mile road run is 18:36:08
PB on PressUps within 2 minutes is 58
PB on SitUps withing 2 minutes is 64
PB on 6 mile road run is 41:05:81 :D
Last edited by KJ-Edwards on Mon 06 Nov, 2006 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brian-

Post by Brian- »

The order is:

Day 1: 3 Miler, Gym Test 1
Day 2: Assault Course, Gym Test 2
KJ-Edwards

Post by KJ-Edwards »

Thanks alot Brian-

KJ
darrenrugby18

Post by darrenrugby18 »

KJ-Edwards wrote:Good luck on your PRMC darrenrugby18
Cheers mate, starting to play on the mind now, countin down the days, hopefully will go all well! :)
CTCRM - 935 Troop
KJ-Edwards

Post by KJ-Edwards »

Just be positive :D ... you still got a bit of time left to train, just think of the pass, and the GREEN BERET after RT, assuming you pass PRMC, which i think you will if you want it enough.

Gd luck again mate.

KJ...
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

I just did 4 miles in 32 minutes. I am so happy I felt I needed to post it on here :D :D :D.
TheWedge

Keep it simple - Basic PRMC Training Program

Post by TheWedge »

Hello all, this is a long post, but it is explaining a simple plan and the reasons why, along with the results. I thought I would create this thread because of my recent success at PRMC. The corporal asked me to tell 415 PRMC troop my simple weekly training schedule, this plan and all the determination I could muster got me top marks at PRMC.

I am not trying to tell people how to train but I just want to emphasise that you don't need complicated training programs to pass PRMC. Potential recruits should be able to settle into a simple training program and not need to worry about the myriad of different training programs available from gyms and some that have been posted here past and present. I like to keep things simple and have no time at all for training programs that cannot be understood completely on first explanation. During my section leader interview, the corporal asked me if I had followed the PRMC training guide on exercises and sets, I told him I did at first but got bored with all the silly position changes so I just focused on the core exercises. The training plan has the same exercises, but because it is based on single sets going for maximums it is easy to remember and you don't need to count sets or have a pen and paper. The pullups can be done at any time, but try to keep the run, pressups and situps in the order because that is how they are assessed on PRMC. Here is en axample.

When PRMC date is more than 4 weeks away

Monday - Pull-ups, Run, Press-ups, Sit-ups
Tuesday - Pull-ups, Press-ups, Sit-ups
Wednesday - Pull-ups, Run, Press-ups, Sit-ups
Thursday - Pull-ups, Press-ups, Sit-ups
Friday - Pull-ups, Run, Press-ups, Sit-ups

Saturday - Rest
Sunday - Rest

The plan is very simple and only consists of maxed single sets, you do all exercises one after the other.

Pull-ups - Use the Recon Ron Pullup plan found here http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachmen ... 1126997199 If you cannot do the number of reps on set 1 step 1 then create a lower custom step based on the pattern you see in the program. After a few weeks you should be able to progress to step 1. You basically add 2 pullups per fortnight onto the plan, it is awesome.

Run - this consists of a 3/4/5/6 mile run, whichever you can do, as fast as you can. If you start at 3 then don't jump to 6 etc, only go up one mile per week, play it safe to avoid injury. Try to get at least 2 sprints into the run of say 50m, do these within the last half mile of the run, it hurts at first, but over the weeks when it starts to feel comfortable and you are not huffing and puffing you will smile like a cheshire cat.

Press-ups - Elbows tucked in as we know, set your 2 minute timer and go for it. No knees down and no bum in the air, rest with your arms locked. I place a dictionary under my chest when I do this, as it is about the same height as a fist. You know when you have hit your maximum because you cannot return to the arms locked position and crash to the floor.

Sit-ups - Not much to say here, just do a single set until you cannot do anymore, really push yourself. Keep the knees together, make sure your feet are held solid, touch the ground with your head and elbows and ensure your elbows touch near your knees, not thighs.

When PRMC date is within 4 weeks

Last minute training here now. The weeks before this have been simple to understand, lets keep it that way, as before but just add two gym sessions into the plan, on Tuesday and Thursday.

Monday - Pull-ups, Run, Press-ups, Sit-ups
Tuesday - Gym Session + Pull-ups, Press-ups, Sit-ups
Wednesday - Pull-ups, Run, Press-ups, Sit-ups
Thursday - Gym Session + Pull-ups, Press-ups, Sit-ups
Friday - Pull-ups, Run, Press-ups, Sit-ups

Saturday - Rest
Sunday - Rest

Gym session - No need to go crazy, on the Tuesday do a chest and Bicep session and on the Thursday do a Shoulders and Tricep session. Go for around 4 sets and increase the weight after each set until you can do hardly any reps. Try to stick to free weights for all of these, much more difficult and better in my opinion. Use the cable machine for the triceps, it is awesome. Note, the Gym session is not essential, I just did it in the last 4 weeks to power up a little, you don't want big muscles, just toned, if you can't afford the gym or don't have one local then just stick to the plan. As long as you are maxing out each time you will be fine.

You can do your pullup, pressup and situp sets at the gym on the gym days, so no need to do these at home. You will find that your maximums will probably drop by a third on these days because the gym work took a lot out of you, but it is all doing you good.

Results & Progress

Run - it takes me 3 weeks (9 runs) for me to start to feel comfortable at a distance. You then find you can add a mile on without too much trouble on a weekly basis.

Pullups - these increase as per the recon ron guide, you will find it hard to do these everyday, but stick at it, your body will get used to it after a few weeks.

Pressups - Pressups max out at the same each day of the week until......the following monday!. I usually see a maximum increase of between 2-3 pressups per week on my maximum. I did 54 on my PRMC last week, 2 more than my maximum of the week before. Today however I managed 60, 6 more than my PRMC last week, the PRMC increased my PB by 6 but this is not the norm as you could not train safely at PRMC pace for more than a few days.

Situps - this increased more than the other exercises, typically between 2-4 per week.

The plan is simple and won't take much of your time. The Mon/Weds/Friday workout can be done in an hour, including the run if it is a 3 miler. The Tuesday and Thursday sets only take 20 mins or so if you don't do the gym, the gym visit will obviously eat up a couple of hours of your evening. This plan is designed for simplicity and you do not need to be superman to do it. Some will argue that you could train harder, but injury is not worth it when you have sufficient time to train. If you need a piece of paper in front of you to do a training session then in my eyes it is over complicated. You have to work monday to friday right? then why not train monday to friday, leave those weekends for the important things like drinking and chasing women!. Keep it simple.

I will revise the post in response to comments/flame!. Good luck
42 CDO RM 18/09/07
KSPO: 14/09/07
RT: 11/12/06
PRMC: 07/11/06
PJFT: 25/04/06 (8:53)
Security Check
Medical: 20/04/06
Selection Interview: 03/06
Eye Test: 02/06
Psychometric test: 01/02/06
Application: 01/06

Best 6 miler: 39:30!
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

TheWedge, thats quite a **** hot training program you got there :wink:

Quite impressive, if it worked for you it will probably work for others
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."
Chris Gray

Post by Chris Gray »

Here is my training programe I use for 3mile races, I thought it would be of some help to those who are training for there PRMC.

Run: When the schedule says "run," that suggests that you run at an easy pace. . Don't worry about how fast you run just cover the distance. Ideally, you should be able to run at a pace that allows you to talk with a training partner without getting too much out of breath.

Fast: For the Saturday runs, go somewhat faster than you would on a "run" day. If you are doing this workout right, you probably do not want to talk with your training partner, assuming you have one. It's okay now to get out of breath.

Long Runs: Once a week, go for a long run at an easy pace. Run 60 to 90 minutes at a comfortable pace, not worrying about speed or distance. Think minutes rather than miles.

Interval Training: To improve your speed, train at a pace somewhat faster than your race pace for the 3miles about the pace you would run in a mile race. Run 400 meters hard, then recover by jogging and/or walking 400 meters. A second variation is to run 200 meter repeats at 800 race pace with 200 jogging between. Before starting this workout, warm-up by jogging a mile or two, stretching, and doing a few sprints of 100 meters. Cool down afterwards with a short jog.

Tempo Runs: This is a continuous run with an easy beginning, a build-up in the middle to near 6mile race pace (or slightly slower than your pace in a 3mile), then ease back and slow down toward the end. A typical Tempo Run would begin with 5-10 minutes easy running, build to 10-15 minutes at 6mile pace, then 5-10 minutes cooling down.
1.5 Miles = 07.49
3.0 Miles = 17.06
5.0 Miles = 29.48
6.0 Miles = 35.39
10 Miles = 1.01.07
13.1 Miles = 1.21.35
Bleep Test = 15.4
tugalis

Training

Post by tugalis »

Im currently runnin 5.5miles in about 45 minutes, is there anything that would help me to improve this?? Im also doing 45/60min bikes with hill reps and runs with hill reps in the week. Or should I just continue like this?? Im hoping to join the marines soon an Ive got my mile n half time to under the 10min 42 time its just sustaining the speed.

Cheers for any help!!! :D
ADDiction

Post by ADDiction »

Sounds to me like your doing a good job :). Keep up the good work and your times will improve. You might want to check out the rest of the forum for over ideas. Many members post their work outs on here, which are very helpful.