Share This Page:

Members' Training Schedules

All Royal Marines related articles, frequently asked questions and other useful information in here.
Skiffle

Post by Skiffle »

The description of the Javelin program was an example to explain and demonstrate how a true strength program should be done, and also to show why it is difficult to apply weight training to a PRMC schedule.

For PRMC, the advice given by us from the RM PTI branch is to gain general body strength through circuits (possibly with bumbbells for resistance).

With the two recruit phases I train, we use weights for resistance in circuits maybe once in every one or two months. Within the training of recruits we find placing weight training often holds back the required progress of the recruits (unless it is a well planned period of weigths for strength gain).

We have to be careful also about the term we are using. Circuits can include the use of weights for resistance. True weight training for strengths requires some form of period or program.

For PRMC training (as was the original request 'is this enought or not for PRMC') it is not an ideal use of time for PRMC training.

I do not discount that correct Weight training can be useful to an Athlete or recruits when done as a good program. But for a 15/16 year old looking for PRMC it is not appropriate. All the training litreture provided to potential recruits by recruiting offices is based around the same principles, progressive increase of abilities by good general circuits, running, swimming and even cycling.

For myself, I train and complete as an athlete in track and field. This winter I am concentrating on Strength and Power for Javelin, but must be careful myself not to affect my track events. This means I concentrate on Power cleans, pulls and press's to avoid bulk strength gain and to get event specific strength and power.

But I do no use this when training or devloping programs for the recruits I train. As the program they do is often set by what they have to acheive at various stages of training and requirements of the training syllabus.
Chaos, Disorder, Destruction.....My work here is done!

"The man who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd. The man who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been. --- Alan Ashley Pitt"

Why can't you accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue.
Skiffle

Post by Skiffle »

donnyoddlegs wrote:While we are on the subject, I could really use an informed opinion. I'm currently training 5 days a week, and I'm hoping to do my PRMC in late april or early may. The problem is I've only been able to train since the beginning of december after a long break due to a fractured foot (perfectly healed now). Here is my weekly schedule.

Mon: 6am Swim, 10am Run, 12am PRMC circuit (ie press-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups)
Tues:6am Swim, 10am Sprints, 12am Circuit training
Weds: As mon
Thurs:As tues
Fri: As mon but I go indoor climbing instead of the run.

I find the schedule pretty gruelling but its all progressive I suppose. Basically, my only concern is will the 5 months-ish between now and my desired PRMC date be enough for my fitness level to improve sufficiently, especially with the time lost to injury? All input gratefully recieved! :D
Can you tell me a couple of things, How old are you? Are you working in a job? What distance are you running? and roughly how long have you been training this way?

Will give me a better idea of your program 8)

"The man who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd. The man who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been. --- Alan Ashley Pitt"

Why can't you accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue.
Benw

Post by Benw »

Skiffle, thanks alot for taking the time to write such detailed information and help us out with our training. Could you give us a couple of circuits to try in preparation for PRMC and basic training.

Thanks again,
Ben
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... 'F*ck, what a trip!'

Start Basic 24th May
donnyoddlegs

Post by donnyoddlegs »

Skiffle, I'm 20, I'm currently working as a retail supervisor. I've been following this program since the beginning of December and my running distance is 2 miles on Monday and 4 miles on Wednesday and I increase this distance every 2 weeks. I was following the same program for 3months prior to my injury but then had to have a 4month break to let it heal, the last 2 months of which were spent doing lots of swimming and gradually introducing running, so im not starting entirely from scratch.

Cheers.
Pete
iareglenn

Post by iareglenn »

Yeh skiffle that would be good if you could give us some circuits to do, the only one i know is the strength/endurance circuit off the fighting fit cd-rom.
Skiffle

Post by Skiffle »

Donny

First impression it is a lot to do in the morning.

The swims are good if you use them relaxingly as your training for the day, or as a hard swim session and then a lighter session later.

I find the timings of your sessions are what will make you feel its 'Grueling'. You swim at 6, train at 10 and again at 12.

The swim at 6 is good, but again at 10 and 12 isn't. If you train at 10 for an hour, you only have an hour to recover before training again.

If your able to train a later in the day, I would suggest doing something more like this:

Mon: 6am Swim, Eve (if poss) Run (if you do a hard swim, then do a light run and vice versa)

Tues:6am Swim, Eve Circuit

Weds: Rest or light Swim

Thurs: 6am Swim, Eve Run or hard circuit

Fri: As Mon but I go indoor climbing instead of the run.

Sat or Sun: use one as a rest day and the other for a good run.

You would be best to reduce your training to twice a day rather than three times, and increase the time between the sessions. This will allow your body to recover more, rather than leaving it constantly trying to recover.

In doing this you get two sessions in the day, one hard and one light. The swimming will help ease off any aches and pains. You can also on occasions combine a circuit and run into a good hard session.

I have made Wed a rest day so as to allow time to recover and replaced it with a good run on the weekend (Day of your choice or alternate).

I see no reason to remove the climbing as it's good to have that in for relaxing (and in an unusual way for training with).

In reducing the amount you do during the day, you will after a week or two find you perform better in your training.

It will also allow you to alternate between getting 2 runs in a week and 3 circuit sessions or doing 3 runs and 2 circuits.

With your running (and subject to your foot not causing problems) you should be able at your age to achieve 6 mile runs and up-to eight mile light runs. But that is dependent on your foot and how comfortable you feel when progressing your running every couple of weeks.

As said with the previous circuit, test your ability's and progress every two weeks if you feel comfortable doing it. But don't however progress both a circuit and a run on the next immediate day. Separate the increase by four or five days to allow your body to adjust.

This will be a good strong weekly program to base a good strong PRMC performance on. With your foot, you should have been advised exercises to help ensure mobility in your foot. If you feel any tightness or problems then go back to doing them daily (however the swimming should have helped reduce any tissue or muscle problems associated with your injury).

And final tip which would be good for all, two weeks before PRMC start tapering down your training effort levels, and one week before just tick over with light training to ensure you are recovered and refreshed for a maximum effort on PRMC. 8)
Booker

Post by Booker »

Skiffle: What different advice, if any, would you give to someone preparing for a POC instead of PRMC. From a physical point of view, that is.

Would you also mind me PMing you my current schedule for advice. As from reading what you have posted here i may be barking up the wrong tree in terms of my training plan. 8)

-PBooker
"The only easy day was yesterday."
Skiffle

Post by Skiffle »

Possed by Ash,
Hey,

That thread in the Joining section has become an absolute goldmine for us hopefuls.

I've got a question. I want to do my second PRMC in the first week of May (12 Month no return). So that leaves me with four months to train.
I feel my upper-body strength is lacking (30-40 pressups, 40-50 situps, 6-7 pullups) and have decided to do some strength training. My question is, with 4 months, would I be able to use the gym for 2 months and then focus more fully on circuit training for the remaining 6 weeks until PRMC?

My training week looks like this:

Sunday - Gym(Back)
Monday - Circuit(Sprints etc etc)/4-5 Mile Run(alternate each week)
Tuesday - Gym(Chest, Triceps)
Wednesday - Session with Cross Country team at college.
Thursday - Gym(Legs)
Friday - Gym(Shoulders)/Light Run.
Saturday - Rest.

I'm happy with my running, so I just feel I need to maintain that as opposed to develop it, but my strength is pretty dismal.

So basically, would I be able to do weight training for 2 months and then switch the focus to running/circuits and be able to maintain the strength I (hopefully) gained from the two months of weights with the circuits?

It's a shitty question and I'm sure I've bored you by now, but I really want to give myself a better chance of passing this time.

Cheers
Advice,
Form your program I assume you have a good background of training in the Gym already.

Quote:
Sunday - Gym(Back)
Monday - Circuit(Sprints etc etc)/4-5 Mile Run(alternate each week)
Tuesday - Gym(Chest, Triceps)
Thursday - Gym(Legs)
Friday - Gym(Shoulders)/Light Run.
Saturday - Rest.

In trying to maintain strength while also returning to running you should be able to do this by combining them into one program for four months.

If you want to increase the number of pres-sups , sit-ups and pull-ups you do. Then there is no substitute for actually doing them.

Your Gym sessions also tend to concentrate on specific areas. This is good for working on weaknesses or improving specific areas, but a switch to a general all over Gym session may be better.

Within doing this I would suggest the following:

Sunday - General Gym or a Circuit
Monday - 4-5 Miles good run Run 6-7 steady effort run (Alternate)
Tuesday - Rest
Thursday - Hard Circuit
Friday - General Gym session Or 4 mile hard with 2x1 1mile warm-up/ down run or 5 mile steady effort run.
Saturday - Rest (or light Run).

By altering the Gym sessions to a general all over one, you can maintain a good level and free session up to work at the press ups/ sit -ups in Circuits.

Does your Gym run a circuit session, if so make use of it as this can help keep motivation. In allowing the freedom of choice on Fri, you can alternate between a week of running and a week of strength and still maintain a balance of the other.

So in a week when you run, you are maintain strength/ circuits. And in a week of strength/ circuits you are maintaining running.

If you can, drop in some light swims for recovery. It will help alleviate the strains of training.

This should be a good program to help you maintain an area while improving in different areas, and builds on what you have already achieved.

If you know what were your weak points on your last PRMC, then this will guide you on what to improve.

Skiffle

Post by Skiffle »

Skiffle, thanks alot for taking the time to write such detailed information and help us out with our training. Could you give us a couple of circuits to try in preparation for PRMC and basic training.

Thanks again,
Ben
Yeh skiffle that would be good if you could give us some circuits to do, the only one i know is the strength/endurance circuit off the fighting fit cd-rom.
I will look to posting a pick and mix circuit, so that you can pick and choose the circuit you need and also adjust it yourselves to work specific areas when needed.

Give me a little time to sort it 8)

Booker, Post away. I'll see what I can do.

Booker

Post by Booker »

Thanks Skiffle, i hope its not taking advantage of you, im sure you have better things to be doing. 8)

Monday:

Hill Sprints
Situp/Pressup/Pullup Circuit
1 Mile Run (Sprint)

Tuesday:

30min Swim (Steady)
Fartlek Sprints (100m, 200m etc)

Wednesday:

(Rest Day)
Rock Climbing Club (restarting next week)

Thursday:

Plyometric Exercises
1 Mile Run (Sprint)

Friday:

30min Swim (Steady)
Hill Sprints

Saturday:

(Rest Day)

Sunday:

Run 10-20 miles (To a town nearby, changing every week.)

However I will start American Football every sunday soon, but do not want to give up the long runs. I doubt i could do both, so maybe you have a suggestion?

Notes:

1) Most of my activities are crammed into the morning currently, which from what ive read here is not the best thing?

2) I do my American Football training warmup/warmdown before/after each mornings exercise which takes approx 20mins.

3) I am planning to increase my 1 Mile run distances once my speed reaches 6min miles. Speed is my real weakness currently, in my opinion. My stride is very short for my height 6"4'. It is improving though.
Skiffle

Post by Skiffle »

Booker,

Each days training. Are they done as indavidual training session's, or all as one single session together?

E.G

8am hillsprints
11am circuit
4pm 1 mile sprints

Or
8am hillsprints/ circuit and 1 mile sprint to finish

will help me understand your progam more. 8)

Booker

Post by Booker »

Single session 8)

Although with the time it takes to jog between where i do the different exercises and the warmup/warmdown it takes me approx 3 hours.

-PBooker
"The only easy day was yesterday."
cosmo

Post by cosmo »

heres my training schedule for preparing for PRMC...

Monday:

3 mile run in under 20 minutes
30 x pressups x 4
80 x situps x 1
4 sets of 9 - 15 reps on dumbells (slow reps)
4 sets of 9 - 15 reps on shoulder presses (slow reps)
5 sets of how ever many Squats i can do

Tuesday:

Wednesday:

Sprints
30 x pressups x 4
80 x situps x 1

Thursday:

30 x pressups x 4
80 x situps x 1

Friday:

30 x pressups x 4
80 x situps x 1
4 sets of 9 - 15 reps on bumbells (slow reps)

Saturday:

Sprints only
(eat shit loads of carbs & protien)

Sunday:

on the 7th day, god rested.
(eat shit loads of carbs & protien)

***EACH WEEK INCREASE RUN DISTANCE, INCREASE PRESSUPS, INCREASE SITUPS, INCREASE SQUATS***

***EACH 4 WEEKS ADD A FEW POUNDS ONTO THE DUMBELLS & SHOULDER PRESSES***

...and believe it or not, it actually works for me..ALOT! 8)

EDIT: all the exercises are done one after another, no breaks. 30 seconds rest between sets.
Statistic

Post by Statistic »

Cosmo,
That program is very similar to what I did before my first PRMC a couple of years ago, except I usually did 4 mile runs in place of most of the sprints which is probably why I failed (didn't have the speed and explosive power). If I can make a recommendation try making one or all of your sprint session into Sprint+Curcuit sessions, Football pitches are made for this, i.e shuttle runs between the lines/laps of pitch intermixed with pre-arranged Press-ups, sit-ups, Burpees and pull-ups on the crossbar (and tuck jumps if you really wanna put yourself through it). This is great training for the bottom field, as is a similar set up on a hill. You might get some dodgy looks from the dog walkers, especially when it's pissing down, blowing a gale and your covered in mud :) .
There really isn't any substitute for a good hard best effort 3 miler, so keep that going maybe do the press-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups and a warm up before it so you can simulate some of the fatigue which you'll feel on the day. I found when I was revising my program after my first failure adding a good fartlek session will increase fitness and run times noticeably.
Better check with Skiffle though, i'm no PTI.
Skiffle

Post by Skiffle »

Booker,

3 hours for a training session is a bit over the top, even with a gentle jog to and from your training area. You would be best using the jog to and from as your warm up and warm down, or if you can cycle to and from your training area (cuts down on transit time).

A couple of other things, and i'll be able to sort it out. How old are you? and is press-up, pull-up and sit-up's all you do in your circuit?