Share This Page:

Royal Navy or RAF reserve?

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Auxiliary Air Force.
JackJones

Royal Navy or RAF reserve?

Post by JackJones »

I can’t decide between joining the Royal Navy reserves or Royal Air Force reserves. I know I don’t want to join the army. I’ve been thinking about it for years and I now I’ve got a good job where senior management are very supportive of reservists (civil service), I should actually get on with it.

This may sound strange, especially for the Navy, (people can think what they want frankly), but I’d like to serve in a role which is still more likely to see me serve in the UK when deployed. I understand, of course, there is always going to be a possibility of being deployed abroad.

For the navy, I’d be interested in the General Entry Officer Reserve programme, hopefully ending up in Intelligence or Maritime Trade Operations. For the RAF, I’d be interested in Intelligence or Air & Space Operations, but I understand I would join as an airman.

Does anyone have any idea which roles would be most likely to see me deployed at UK locations? I’ve heard about MTO being located in Dubai? And intelligence mainly in Bedfordshire? But I don’t know many specifics.