Share This Page:

Joining process being prior foreign service

General discussions on joining & training in the Territorial Army.
Ulsteryank

Joining process being prior foreign service

Post by Ulsteryank »

Greetings guys!

Just a wee question here....I just received my British naturalisation at the end of July there, and would like to join the TA. I haven't went into the career centre yet because I'm in the process of applying for my passport which I need, but browsed all around the website&started an online application.

Just a bit curious of the length of time required for the joining process, obviously I'm hungry as I've wanted to do it before obtaining citizenship. I happen to be a former U.S Marine who served active duty enlisted. I noticed foreign service enquirers on the application, and just didn't know if it affects the process time anymore than a new join, and if there's anything else I need to know?

I stayed as fit as I was since leaving the Marines (been about 7 years now wow!), train MMA, and in fact can still pass my old USMC PFT's (PTI's?) now being 29 (our standards were a bit different too!) Currently work full-time in security installations, but being a former Rifleman have that side of me that misses the field, so figure this would be a perfect thing without having to fully enlist again.

Cheers!
Millar

Re: Joining process being prior foreign service

Post by Millar »

Took me about 9 Months for Full Time, so I would expect about 6 Months maybe for TA, that's just a guess though, you have the same tests as regulars but the standards are different for said tests.

I had a fella with Duel Nationality at my Selection Day, he was from LA and joining, expect allot of banter lol

Good luck :)
Ulsteryank

Post by Ulsteryank »

Cheers for the input Millar! Oh I like the banter lol, something I much prefer here.

Different than what I'm used to. I joined the Marines my last year of High School and the recruiter had me a ship date for bootcamp in a few weeks! Since this is my first passport it's going to take 6 weeks, and I'm still waiting for my MMA instructor who's in the Fire Brigade to sign off on my application. Wish I could go in now just to get the ball rolling.

Liverpool eh? Heading down to the pub a bit later on to catch em.
Millar

Post by Millar »

Your welcome m8, the application process might go allot quicker for you, already being in shape, it took a while for me because I had to fit tests and Interviews around my job at the time, an like I said the TA joining process is slightly quicker due to the different levels of standards so you might be lucky, just make sure you get a A on your ADSC an it shouldn't take to long.

The American Military seem to have a higher demand for Soldiers than the UK, infact were making allot redundant, I wonder how the Training of Marines differs from British Phase 1 Training.

Yea we lost against Man U, the referee was to blame if you ask me, the owners of the Boston Red Socks own us, an apparently they're having a very similar season lol
Ulsteryank

Post by Ulsteryank »

Yea they should have never sent him out, and there was some craic in work today because of it lol. Didn't know that about the Red Socks!

Yea I think there is a bigger demand over there, but the same is starting to happen. They almost suspended troops pay a while back, and a lot more people are getting kicked out for things that they wouldn't have only 5 years ago. I enlisted just after 9/11 when they were trying to get everyone in, the Army in particular offering big sign on bonuses and such.

I did hear that the local TA Infantry Royal Irish units are looking to expand over here, even creating more companies, so hopefully I'll take that as a plus!
Millar

Post by Millar »

What is it that you do if you don't mind me asking? Yes I seen it on the Documentary "Being Liverpool" they mention the Red Socks a fair bit.

suspend pay!? wow that's totally out of order that wouldn't fly down in the UK there would be riots in the streets, reminds me of all the shit they had with the Vietnam Vets and the problems with there pensions.
Ulsteryank

Post by Ulsteryank »

I've been an engineer in security installations since I've moved over, bollards, gates&stuff. We're the Irish representative for our parent company over there, ATG. I think they even have bollards at the stadium lol.

Yea, luckily the public there is pretty patriotic, and as soon as the possibility was mentioned there were protests&campaigns, but it does bear some resemblance to the Vietnam vets as the VA has really had their work cut out for them as of late.
Millar

Post by Millar »

That sounds really interesting

How's the application going?