Share This Page:

Joining the TA and taking creatine for kickboxing??

General discussions on joining & training in the Territorial Army.
Robbo9

Joining the TA and taking creatine for kickboxing??

Post by Robbo9 »

I'm assuming the answer will be no I'm not allowed... but I kickbox and my trainer has suggested me taking creatine however I'm unsure where this sits with joining the army as I'm aware I wouldn't be able to take it if training or on tour etc. Would this effect me getting in as I can't seem to find a clear answer??

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Tab

Re: Joining the TA and taking creatine for kickboxing??

Post by Tab »

Main article: Creatine supplements
Creatine supplements are used by athletes, bodybuilders, wrestlers, sprinters, and others who wish to gain muscle mass, typically consuming 2 to 3 times the amount that could be obtained from a very-high-protein diet.[12] The Mayo Clinic states that creatine has been associated with asthmatic symptoms and warns against consumption by persons with known allergies to creatine.[13]

There was once some concern that creatine supplementation could affect hydration status and heat tolerance and lead to muscle cramping and diarrhea, but recent studies have shown these concerns to be unfounded.[14][15]

There are reports of kidney damage with creatine use, such as interstitial nephritis; patients with kidney disease should avoid use of this supplement.[13] In similar manner, liver function may be altered, and caution is advised in those with underlying liver disease, although studies have shown little or no adverse impact on kidney or liver function from oral creatine supplementation.[16] In 2004 the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) published a record which stated that oral long-term intake of 3g pure creatine per day is risk-free.[17] The reports of damage to the kidneys by creatine supplementation have been scientifically refuted.[18][19]

Long-term administration of large quantities of creatine is reported to increase the production of formaldehyde, which has the potential to cause serious unwanted side-effects. However, this risk is largely theoretical because urinary excretion of formaldehyde, even under heavy creatine supplementation, does not exceed normal limits.[20][21]

Extensive research over the last decade[date missing] has shown that oral creatine supplementation at a rate of 5 to 20 grams per day appears to be very safe and largely devoid of adverse side-effects,[22] while at the same time effectively improving the physiological response to resistance exercise, increasing the maximal force production of muscles in both men and women
Millar

Re: Joining the TA and taking creatine for kickboxing??

Post by Millar »

Robbo9 wrote:I'm assuming the answer will be no I'm not allowed... but I kickbox and my trainer has suggested me taking creatine however I'm unsure where this sits with joining the army as I'm aware I wouldn't be able to take it if training or on tour etc. Would this effect me getting in as I can't seem to find a clear answer??

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
It would not stop you joining, but like you said you wouldn't be allowed to take it to Training or on Tour.