Share This Page:

Medical Querie

General discussions on joining & training in the Territorial Army.
AWJD

Medical Querie

Post by AWJD »

Hi, first off all big respect to the lads and lasses from our armed forces.

I am 33 year male, in reasonable fitness. 5ft 10, 14st. Always been interested in joining the Armed forces, so I am currently considering joining the TA.
General Fitness
1.5 mile run = 11mins (on a gradient uphill, think I could do faster on even surface). Currently training for Great North Run, Ave Speed - 8-9minute miles when I am taking it easy. I also train in Krav Maga, do a bit of circuit training, sit ups, press ups, kettle bell drills etc and snowboard. So my general fitness isn't too bad.

My only concern really is the army medical. I have had several hernia's, two as a child and an umbilical hernia about 12 years ago. I also had a knee condition as a child. I think this may have been Osteochondritus. The last time I had any bother from this was when I was about 15. I don't get any bother from it these days. So how much of a bearing on a medical pass or fail would this have? Does the medical team discuss this with you....

Any advice would be appreciated.
Millar

Re: Medical Querie

Post by Millar »

I could imagine they will test the areas of concern more vigorously to see if there's still any problems, but my advice to you would be don't mention any issues unless they bring them up, and don't give them any reason for concern.

Best of luck
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

If you've been free of symptoms for over 4 years you shouldn't have a problem.
They will see your medical records, so you can't hide anything from them, and if they ask you anything about any of the things you've mentioned, be completely honest with them. I'm certainly no expert in the medical field, but from what you've said you should be fine.

Keep working on your fitness, and good luck! :D
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
Tab

Post by Tab »

In the forces you often have to carry weights over all sorts of terrain for all sorts of distances, if you do have a weakness there it could quite well show up.
AWJD

Post by AWJD »

Hey thanks for the reply guys. Think I will just go for it and see what happens!