Share This Page:

A few questions about joining the TA

General discussions on joining & training in the Territorial Army.
rsgc1990

A few questions about joining the TA

Post by rsgc1990 »

Hi all im thinking about joining the TA Rifles in Truro, and what like to know what the application and selection involves. I have already applied for the regular army but am changing my choice so i can go back to college and study some A levels to help me become an officer in the army. Replies with any information is much appreciated.
kieran turner

Post by kieran turner »

Selection or RSW as it's called is basically the same as Regular Army selection. You do some team tasks, PFT run (2.4k proceeded by an 800m warm up), strenght tests and possibly as BARB test. This will usually be conducted at your local Training Bde. over the course of a weekend.

As for application it's basically the same as the Regs. to the best of my knowledge but have heard you don't have your medical before your RSW now, it's conducted as part of your 'selection'.

Hope this helps.
rsgc1990

Post by rsgc1990 »

And also, if i have already done my barb test and been delcared medically fit will i have to go through all this again? And how long does it usually takei mean the whole process?
Thank you for the quick reply also :)
kieran turner

Post by kieran turner »

If you've already done your BARB and your medical you will not have to repeat it on your RSW.

The whole process between your application and you getting to weekend 1 varies, there's loads of variables that can slow down the process. With regards to the time it will take to complete your Basic training it will take 9 weekends at your nearest RTC then as your Infantry you will go on to do your CIC at Catterick.

Hope this helps