Share This Page:

Looking for advice from those in the know

General discussions on joining & training in the Territorial Army.
SNiDE

Looking for advice from those in the know

Post by SNiDE »

I'm looking for information regarding joining the TA. I've looked through the Army website, but it seems abit crap when it comes to Reserve details.

I left recruit training for the royal marines after week 5 and was given 2 years before being allowed to rejoin, due to being shit at alot of things. A friend in my troop who had previously been an NCO in the reserves recommended that I join the TA in the mean time as it will greatly improve my admin and soldiering skills at a more gradual pace. What I want to know is: will this be considered a valid reason for joining? Also, I read that you can leave the TA at any point except during mobilisation- is it therefor possible/straightforward to transfer to a different branch of the regulars? Would I have to stay in the TA for 3 years and then transfer? Anyone with any info about this or who is in the reserves and can tell me if im being a w@#k/would be seen as a w@#k by wanting to transfer after my 2 years is up, I would be much obliged if you could shed any light on this, many thanks!
bigdog

Post by bigdog »

1) Yes it will be a valid reason for joining. I joined the TA with them knowing full well I was going to Sandhurst and they could not have been more helpful. There was also a guy applying for RM officer, again with anyones blessing.

2) It is no problem to transfer to the army, however i can see that transferring to the Navy might be more complex. However JPA should be better in a couple of years. You wont have any problem transferring especially if you are open and honest and give them plenty of warning.

I think it is a really good idea for you. Most TA units will cry out for switched on motivated recruits so will be more that happy to take you on. Loads of people transfer to the regs so it is something they are used to. If you have a couple of years you may be able to get a tour under your belt, and operational experience will obviously stand you in good stead.
ARnY

Post by ARnY »

Mate it is a valid reason, because a mate of mine from my TA unit left Royal Marines training just like you and he has told the recruiting corpral that he is planning to go back and he had no problems in joining.

Not just him, when I joined my unit I told my recruit corpral that I was hoping to get some experience from my present unit before going back to 4 para and he no no problems with that, if anything he has helped me with my fitness etc.