Share This Page:

Sniper Training for the TA

General discussions on joining & training in the Territorial Army.
deane_152

Sniper Training for the TA

Post by deane_152 »

After reading that the TA does not have any sniper courses, i was wondering if its possible to be put forward for the regular's sniper course? Im a student so i would have plently of time to do it.
Sarastro

Post by Sarastro »

You get trained for what the Army needs you to do, not what you want to do. The reason that the TA don't do sniper courses etc anymore is that there is no realistic chance they will ever be used in that role; besides that course is highly competitive to get into even if you are in the regs, do you honestly see them training blokes who aren't going to use the skills?

So, no. You'll have to join the regs.
CptStabbo

Post by CptStabbo »

My old TA unit was a light recce unit and had 2 x sniper pairs on it's orbat.

Now that they've been re-roled I think the only non-sf unit to have snipers on their orbat is 4 para.

That said though it's not what you know and your PSI can always bid you on to either the 2 weeks sharpshooters course or the 5 week sniper course if you're an all round good egg.

Me? I couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo - which is why I'll happily carry the gpmg.

Hope that helps,

CS
Sarastro

Post by Sarastro »

CptStabbo wrote:Now that they've been re-roled i think the only non-sf unit to have snipers on their orbat is 4 para.
Not anymore, we have some blokes who were sniper trained from the old days, but nobody doing new courses afaik. TA PF are gone the way of the dodo as well.
Chas

Post by Chas »

Queen's 6/7(V) had snipers. This continued on amalgamation
with the Royal Hampshires (The Tigers) which became the PWRR
(Squidgies). I believe this is continued today. :evil:
RM., Colonial Police & Queen's Regt HSF.