Share This Page:

Commando Training?

General discussions on joining & training in the Territorial Army.
Statistic

Commando Training?

Post by Statistic »

Hi fellas and ladies, I haven't posted for a while but have continued to browse regularly, and I’m glad to say there's still a lot of good material on here, which obviously grows everyday.

Some of the guy on here ...might remember me from a while back when I attempted RMR recruit training but left after it proved a little to much commitment wise for that point in my life.

Since then I've joined the TA Infantry (PWRR), despite being a little reluctant to make the step down after RMR. However, it turned out to be a good idea because the commitment isn't as harsh, and it's actually pretty fun. I completed phase 1 a few weeks ago and proudly received best recruit. Now its just a case of getting CIC done next June when I finish Uni.

...But I still can't help wanting something a bit harder to do, I'd attempt the RMR again but my time table is a little booked up for the next few years and all I really have too spare is the time between MA, travel and various other bits and peaces. Due to this I don't wanna try again and jump into the (at least) 18 months worth of weekends and two week courses only to realise I’ve made the same mistake.
If I did it again I’d want to pass it.

The question is: is their a way of getting commando trained in a TA infantry Unit? Don't take this as an ‘easy way out’ scenario, because I'm prepared to do the regular all arms course if it's possible, as it can be done in about 15 weeks (including build-up) and this I’d rather do because I can fit it in and it doesn't drag itself out despite probably being harder. Either that or obviously the TA All arms course (I’d rather do regular if they'll let me).
All I want to know is if it's likely to be available to me without transferring to some distant unit such as 131cdo Engineers.
At the end of the day if I have to transfer or wait until I can do RMR again then I will but if there are ways of getting a green lid any sooner then I’d jump on it.

I haven't actually asked my unit yet as I didn't figure it was a good idea till I'd completed Phase 2. So I thought I’d consult the board (your guys) in the mean time.

I’ve done as much research as I can from the net and various people I know but it all seems to be a bit vague when it comes to the TA and Commando training.

Cheers for any help you can give me and sorry about the long post…

JZ.
"Nobody said it was gonna be easy!"
wannabe_bootneck

Post by wannabe_bootneck »

It's unlikely that an inf. unit will put you forward for Cdo. training as what benefit would it do to them? Members of the TA who do P-Coy and their jumps or AACC tend to do it because they're in a unit that supports either airborne or cdo units. I'm sure some blokes who have nothing to do with the airborne or cdo forces get themselves onto the above courses somehow but these are the exeption as far as I'm aware. Remember it all costs money to send you on thse courses so there generally needs to be a reason to send you on them. Get yourself on the Cambrian patrol team when you are trained up, I guarantee you, this will proove a big enough challenge for you, a real test of soldiering ability it is. There's no reason why you cannot maintain an exceptional level of fitness within your current unit is there? There are plenty of opportunities to do challenging things without doing P-Coy or AACC. You don't need to be winged up or have a dagger on your arm to proove you are a good soldier mate, just bare it all in mind.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Top tip in the current TA, what with retention and all........

tell them you want a crack at the all arms, and if they say no you will leave! You'll be in Lympstone before you know it.
anglo-saxon

Post by anglo-saxon »

A couple of our lads went to the TA Cdo Artillery (259?) way back. Not sure if it even exists now.
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Just an observation like, your on wait out until NEXT JUNE for CIC?? I'd be quite heartily surprised if many a TA unit would let someone sit untrained for that length of time... am i wrong?
SP

The line between BS and PC is thin and blurry
wannabe_bootneck

Post by wannabe_bootneck »

289 troop in Romford, part of 100 regt. RA
Statistic

Post by Statistic »

Sorry Spooky, I meant this year, not next.

Thanks for the replies guys, I’ve had a bit of a think since my first post and come to the conclusion that my best bet is to bite the bullet and transfer at some point to an elite unit. Until then I’m going to put in for Officer training once phase two is out the way (which was my original plan). I’ll stay with 3 PWRR for a year or two, get on Cambrian, etc then have a look at my options. At the end of the day, a commission will go well with my civvie qualifications and will no doubt prove a decent challenge, plus its always been an ambition to lead.

Thanks again for the help.

JZ.

P.S. Nice idea doc and i'd actually give it a try if I wasn't as worried about them calling my bluff! :) Having said that, our new SPSI is a Para. He might be able to pull some strings, or maybe have a personal vested interest in having one of his lads do P-Coy, not so sure about RFCC though...
hmmm :-?
zeus

Post by zeus »

where are u from? You should look at joing 131 Commando Engineers!!

You'll get excelent training and help to pass the AACC (which I'm sure you know is identical to the RMR Cdo Course). If you have already passed your basic training, then depending on fitness you could have your green lid within 6 to 8 months. After which you can move onto further engineer training, and countless opportunities to go on exercise or tour with 3 Cdo Bde
Statistic

Post by Statistic »

Zeus,
I thought about 131, seems to offer some excellent opportunities. At the moment I’m resident in Pompy, but from end of June I’ll be near Brighton. Nearest 131 det is London Kingsbury, will take about 2 hours travel one way which I can put up with.

Are you a member? If so what’s the score with the recruiting process/training? I consider myself pretty fit, was fittest in my phase one recruit cadre and will be infantry trained as of June, plus have some experience of RMR training including time at CTC. Will this allow me to skip any basic phase 1 type stuff? If you could give me a heads up on the recruit training for 131 I’d be grateful.

Cheerz,

JZ.
zeus

Post by zeus »

Yes I am. If you have completed your basic training with either the TA/RMR or of course any other military establishment then you are more than likely to skip the basic training phase. But this would be discussed with the training staff.

131 allows you to start commando training almost straight away (assuming you are allready basic trained). The training weekends are once a month, and depending on skill and fitness you could be on the next commando course, on one in a few months, or in a years time. It is almost totally down to the individual and the decision is made on a case by case basis by the officer in charge of commando training.

If you have any other questions, or would like more details on the squadron let me know and I will get some stuff sent out to you.
walter_1

Post by walter_1 »

hi zeus, whats the story with the training team now, as cpt S is at 299 and they are going para... who will be taking over, or will they still be quite closely linked... what location are you from anyway....?
Statistic

Post by Statistic »

Zeus,

PM sent.

JZ.
Chateau Lafite

Post by Chateau Lafite »

Q: You're in Pompy & want something elite?
A:http://www.army.mod.uk/uksf/special_for ... e_/sbs.htm