Share This Page:

Choice of Corps

General discussions on joining & training in the Territorial Army.
darkwarrior

Choice of Corps

Post by darkwarrior »

I have always been interested in getting a commmision in the TA Intelligence Corps. However, a friend of mine who is a captain in the TA RA (and is particularly enthusiastic about the fact) heard of my interest and emphatically told me that TA Intel 'do nothing' and that I should join his Royal regiment and "not the pishy intelligence corps."

Whilst I appreciate he was kind of biased, it did get me thinking, what is the role of the TA Intelligence Corps? Also, I got my forms through this weekend and saw that "competition is tight for the Intelligence Corps". Does anyone know exactly how tight and what can sway your application the right way?
Hantslad

Post by Hantslad »

The TA Int Corps has been one of the most "used" TA units in the last few years. It is a very good unit to join, PM me if you want to know anything specific as I can't be bothered to type lots about what they get up to cos it is nearly home time for me.

For what its worth, I thought it was an excellent TA unit when I was in it
Macdui

Post by Macdui »

I do not have first hand knowledge, but the people I know who have been in 3 MI Bn said it is an excellent unit. As Hanstad said it is very well-integrated with the regular IC and has been extensively used in recent years. There is also talk of expanding its capabilities and size, so the RA guy you talked to seems strangely misinformed for a captain.
From the little I know their roles seem to be divided between providing field security, imagery analysis, and HUMINT (interrogation and debriefing). I suppose that at the higher levels you could expect to be involved in strategic intelligence planning. Another thing, the IC recieves many transferres from other parts of the army and it is a good corp to join if you have some prior experience behind you. My plan is to gain a commission in the TA Infantry and hopefully transfer to 3 MI Bn after a few years. I spoke to a female captain at 3 MI Bn and she said this would be no problem at all.
darkwarrior

Post by darkwarrior »

Thanks for that Macdui. In fairness to my friend, he was pretty rat-arsed when he started spouting off.

Why are you going for the infantry first instead of heading straight for the IC?
Macdui

Post by Macdui »

darkwarrier,

Have you attended one of the presentation and interview evenings at 3 MI? This gives the potential recruit an excellent insight into the type of stuff they get up to. I was quite impressed by the exciting range of opportunities they offer.

You are correct in what you say about compeition, as you would expect the Int Corps requires high calibre recruits. The staff at the evening told us that 80% of recruits in 3 MI have degrees and that competition is particularly tight for Potential Officer vacancies. In the group of 20 that I was in, over half expressed interest in gaining a commission. So there are far more potential officers going for a smaller number of posts than in almost any other TA regiment. The upside is that the other ranks in the Int Corps get up to some interesting stuff and are expected to shoulder a lot of repsonsibility early on. Once you are past the recruit stage you automatically enter as a Lance Corporal and start on around £55 per day. In most other TA units it would take a recruit five years to achieve LCorp.

As for myself, my main ambition is to become a TA PO and if this is so hard to do in 3 MI than I might try in another unit. Besides, I am up for getting my boots dirty in the Infantry for a few years. I can always try to transfer to 3 MI if and when I gain a commission. I am currently thinking over my options.

By the way, the next 3 MI selection weekend is 12-14 January 2006. So if you are interested then let them know asap. Good luck with it.