Share This Page:

swimming in recruit training

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines Reserve.
pedro

swimming in recruit training

Post by pedro »

how much swimming is undertaken whilst training to become a royal marines reserve? is it regular physical training like running, and are there swim tests conducted?

many thanks
jstagg

Post by jstagg »

There will all ways be tests on things crucial to the Army, Navy or R.a.f so i would Imagen that a test on swimming would be a guarantee.
2 Rifles.

Herrick 10/11 Completed.

Home in September.
Hands on

Post by Hands on »

It's a few years since I did the army swim test but this Is what It was at the time

All done In combat 95, deep water entry and the tread water for 2 min, then on the whistle swim down to the shallow end of 25 metre pool across the shallow end and back up to the deep with out stopping and touching the sides. Once you reach the deep end you have to lift yourself out of the pool, there was a gap of about a foot from the water to the top of the pool.
After that It was a jump of a 3 metre platform into the pool
jstagg

Post by jstagg »

( SWIM TEST FOR THE RIFLES )
The military swim test hasn't changed much, Jump in the water, Tread water for 2 minutes, swim the circumference of the swimming pool, and climb out on your own. you can stop, and there is no time limit
Last edited by jstagg on Sun 24 May, 2009 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 Rifles.

Herrick 10/11 Completed.

Home in September.
druadan

Post by druadan »

The Battle Swim Test is slightly different:

Wear CS-95, webbing with weight (I think equivalent to a couple of waterbottles, not particularly heavy), and rifle (rubber replica). Entry from the 3m board, swim 25m (normally to half-way and back to keep you in the deep end), hand webbing and rifle out of the pool without touching the sides, then tread water for a few minutes (3 if I remember rightly).

You don't HAVE to be able to swim to join; in regular recruit training you do a lot of swimming for phys, and those who are weak have to attend extra lessons in their free time, so the advice is to get lessons before you go. I don't know how this affects RMR. Remember that at some point you will be doing capsize drills with kit in MIBs, and ice-breaking drills in Norway, both of which require you to swim in kit and get stuff out the oggin whilst you're still in it. There are weak swimmers, but I'd rather not be one :roll:
somalian

Post by somalian »

What is the equivalent distance of running 1 mile in swimming? If I run about a mile every other day and decide to incorporate swimming in the days between, how much distance should I aim for? I know swimming a mile is a lot harder than a running a mile, so is there a thumb when you want to convert running miles to swimming miles?

Post by Konassin »

There's no real mathematical formula at work, but as someone who has been both a keen runner and a lifeguard, i would say about 400 to 500 metres is equivalent to a mile.